Camaro/Firebird Rear Discs for GM A body 66-67

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2014, 03:31 PM
The Noob Messiah

Camaro/Firebird Rear Discs for GM A body 66-67

New in 2/26/14 @ 1326

Has anyone used PB Blaster as a penetrate? I am jacking up the front steel line nuts that attach to the rubber line that runs to the power drums. It attaches at the frame bracket.
Also, I am gonna have to fix at least the front 2 lines ends as mentioned so, I see an Autozone generic replacement brake line fitting and a line cutter. Anyone have a OK or NO idea? I intent to R&R the entire brake system eventually but I dont want to have to buy a complete line kit. I was thinking maybe I could just fabricate 2 new front brake lines if I had to but the IF, IF, I can get the lines disconnected form the brass distribution block (or what ever it is called) I can just rig up 2 new ends as a temporary repair. I know this is wordy but please save me some frustration and anziety hunting this **** down LOL.

Hey Fellas,

I don't have the gentleman's contact info Mike that I met at the Orphans and Sweethearts Show in Granbury this past weekend. He has a 1967 442 that has 4 wheel disc brakes and talked to me about the bolt on easy greasy rear calipers that came from a Firebird. I pretty much forgot what years he was talking about. I am thinking like 90s'ish? 97 maybe? Does anyone have a link or a keyword I can search for.

Thanks,

Last edited by txrob779; February 26th, 2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:01 PM
71 cutlass convertible

88-97 Camaro/Trans. If you can find it there is an article in the April 2012 Car craft. I saved the mag. I have gotten an axle off of a 89 trans am that I hope to get everything off of and use on my 71 cutlass.

Good Luck

Larry
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:36 PM
71 cutlass convertible

PM me your address I will copy the magazine article and send it to you.

Larry
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:25 PM

Larry,

Can you scan it and email it? I'd like to see the article too so if you can't scan, could you get me a copy?

Thanks,
Brian
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:57 PM

Larry,

Better yet, here is the article so no need to send anyone anything unless you still wanted to. I'm OK now that I have the link to the article.

Brian

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...kyard_builder/
Old February 26th, 2014, 02:58 AM
The Noob Messiah

Thanks
Old February 26th, 2014, 05:28 AM
The Noob Messiah

Man gosh dammit I am having a search FAIL here..

Any suggestions on search key words for 1988-1987 Camaro/Firebird salvage yard rear disc brakes..I mean ***** I would think those words would do it but the FAIL.

Also, any ideas for reflanging a brake line. I jacked up one of the fittings that screw into the rubber drum brake hose/line. I hate to replace the 58,800 lines as they are all in good shape. I was just impatient with the time I left the penetrate on the fitting. Bummer.

Also, I really really wanna covert these power drums to front discs but really would be searching into the wind for a used assembly IF they even exist. Do they?

I hate to even ask because I am pretty knowledgeable in forum boards and searching but I am coming up empty. Sorry

One more question...I wanna get my car running and driving so my drums are well, 58,000
drums....however they have parallel channel if you will cut/ground/rubbed into the drums inner surface. I dont know if this is how they are of if the pads did it. My mechanical mins says they are supposed to be that way since both front drums have what appears ot be the same "cuts" in the finish. So, I wonder if a parts shop can turn and refinish the drums surface for me....or I should just hand sand the finish to just make it work better for now? To do....cheap or GOOD....lol I cant wait for the replies to this ****.
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Rodney

Rear Disc Brakes

Rob:
I've been researching the same idea for my '72 convertible build and have read many posts on CO and other forums about the pros and cons of the available parts. The CarCraft article uses a caliper with a lever mechanism for the parking brake, and from what I have read it seems that these calipers can be a PITA to get adjusted properly. An easy bolt-on "package" using 11” rotors is from a late '70s TransAm (the option code is WS6) which looks very similar to the parts in the CarCraft article.

Another option (and this is the direction I'm going for my car) is to use a caliper and rotor that has a separate parking brake system which uses a small shoe tucked inside the rotor “hat”. With this system the parking brake adjustment is independent of the normal braking operations. ’98-’04 Blazer/S10 is a bolt-on “package” that uses an 11.6” x 0.79” thick rotor. ’98-’02 Camaro LS1 is another “package” that uses a 12” x 1” thick rotor.

I haven't installed everything yet so my info is not based on hands-on experience, but I have researched this to death - I hate to do things twice. You’ll need to check wheel fitment to make sure the rotors will clear. I think the TransAm 11” rotor will fit inside most stock 15” rims. The 11.6” Blazer rotor and the 12” Camaro rotor will require a larger rim. I plan to run aluminum 17” SSI repro rims on my car to clear the rotors.

Last edited by cdrod; February 26th, 2014 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by cdrod
Rob:
. An easy bolt-on "package" using 11” rotors is from a late '70s TransAm (the option code is WS6) which looks very similar to the parts in the CarCraft article.
Unless you get lucky with a deal the 79 TA rear disc brakes systems are very pricey as the 2nd gen Fbody guys are competing for them.

Henry
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:19 AM
The Noob Messiah

I have seen, looked at and talked to a guy that has a 67' 442 with that 1988-1997 Firebird rear disc system. He said its a cake walk AND he doesn't even use a proportioning valve. Strange but true....it has Torque Thrust II D wheels too. He said it was super simple but I didnt even think to talk about parking brake stuff. I don't know if Mike is on this board. I am looking forward to more banter.

PS who has a suggestion on how to get my brake lines apart w/o killing the damn fitting? This sux so far.
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:25 AM

[QUOTE

Also, I really really wanna covert these power drums to front discs but really would be searching into the wind for a used assembly IF they even exist. Do they?

I never saw any OEM drums with grooves machined in. Sound like they wore a set of shoes down to the rivets.

Come to Austin, I still have a few 69-72 Abody cars with OEM front disc systems. 200-250 give or take.

Henry

One more question...I wanna get my car running and driving so my drums are well, 58,000
drums....however they have parallel channel if you will cut/ground/rubbed into the drums inner surface. I dont know if this is how they are of if the pads did it. My mechanical mins says they are supposed to be that way since both front drums have what appears ot be the same "cuts" in the finish. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by 66400; February 26th, 2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:36 AM
The Noob Messiah

Get down there before it gets 100 degrees.
Henry I guess i'll need to bust the A arms loose huh? Bring a spring compressor? Man that junk yard arm spring thing scares the crap outof me lol but I am definately on board and you WILL be hearing from me sir.

Question, will those spindles, calipers and rotors fit a 66? I am thinking not...hell but I haven't researched it.

Originally Posted by 66400
[QUOTE

I never saw any OEM drums with grooves machined in. Sound like they wore a set of shoes down to the rivets.

Come to Austin, I still have a few 69-72 Abody cars with OEM front disc systems. 200-250 give or take.

Henry

drums....however they have parallel channel if you will cut/ground/rubbed into the drums inner surface. I dont know if this is how they are of if the pads did it. My mechanical mins says they are supposed to be that way since both front drums have what appears ot be the same "cuts" in the finish.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by txrob779; February 26th, 2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by txrob779
get down there before it gets 100 degrees.
Henry i guess i'll need to bust the a arms loose huh? Bring a spring compressor? Man that junk yard arm spring thing scares the crap outof me lol but i am definately on board and you will be hearing from me sir.

Question, will those spindles, calipers and rotors fit a 66? I am thinking not...hell but i haven't researched it.

I'll show you how to remove them with nothing but a large hammer. I've no doubt that i've personally removed a couple of thousand spindles from salvage vehicles this way(over a 35 year span).

100 degree days i just work slower!

General consensus is 64-72 gm a body interchange.
[/quote]
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Rodney

'70-'72 Front disc sert-up

Rob:
Will a '70-'72 factory disc set-up fit a '66?? I have a used oem front disc set-up if it will fit your car. I also have a set of brand new 11" factory rotors from In Line tube. I bought these parts to convert my drum brakes and decided to go with larger 12" rotors and 17" wheels. I can send pics if your interested.

Rodney
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:13 AM

Rear discs

Try looking up Matts Classic Bowties. They sell rear disc conversions for $370. I am considering buying their Pro-Touring set-up for my 70 conv. That includes suspension and four wheel disc set up. Their web site says that it fits 68-72 A-Body's including Oldsmobiles. Not sure about 64-67.

Stewart
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:08 AM
The Noob Messiah

See original post for another request for info

Rodney,

Wow I just dont know about the 70-72 set up. I know that 67 Cutlass's had disc's. All I know is a spindle swap, the backing plates, calipers and rotors all work obviously from a 66 to a 67. I would think I would have read or heard about other years crap worlking but I haven't. So, I am interested for sure but the right parts.

Henry,

I would LOVE a schooling on how to bust that suspension loose with a hammer. We will talk soon I promise and thanks again.

Last edited by txrob779; February 26th, 2014 at 12:06 PM.