1992 chevy caprice rearend switch with 1972 cutlass conv.

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Question 1992 chevy caprice rearend switch with 1972 cutlass conv.

i found an 92 caprice with posi traction and was wondering if i could swap it out with the rearend in my 72 cutlass convertible. thanks for any knowledge
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Past Administrator

In response to your PM requesting this; you will get a better answer from Monzaz but in the meantime I will take a stab at it. First you need to measure the width (track) of the axle from backing plate to backing plate on each car to determine if they are the same. If they aren't then of course your rear track would be wider or narrower and wheel/tire size may cause some clearance issues. Second, I would look at the mounting locations of the shocks and springs on each car to see if they are in the same place or not. Finally, I would look at the universal joint on each vehicle to see if they are the same (or maybe you could just go to the parts store and ask them to look the part numbers up for you and look at the parts to see). If they aren't, you may have to have the drive shaft modified. All of this may be a moot point because Monzaz may know off the top of his head yes or no. But if I was going to do it myself and didn't know those are the three things I would do. Can it be done? Of course. I plan on putting a 9 inch Ford axle under my '46 this spring, anything can be done if you aren't afraid of doing what needs to be done to make stuff fit, it just may take more time, effort, and money to get there.
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
In response to your PM requesting this; you will get a better answer from Monzaz but in the meantime I will take a stab at it. First you need to measure the width (track) of the axle from backing plate to backing plate on each car to determine if they are the same. If they aren't then of course your rear track would be wider or narrower and wheel/tire size may cause some clearance issues. Second, I would look at the mounting locations of the shocks and springs on each car to see if they are in the same place or not. Finally, I would look at the universal joint on each vehicle to see if they are the same (or maybe you could just go to the parts store and ask them to look the part numbers up for you and look at the parts to see). If they aren't, you may have to have the drive shaft modified. All of this may be a moot point because Monzaz may know off the top of his head yes or no. But if I was going to do it myself and didn't know those are the three things I would do. Can it be done? Of course. I plan on putting a 9 inch Ford axle under my '46 this spring, anything can be done if you aren't afraid of doing what needs to be done to make stuff fit, it just may take more time, effort, and money to get there.
All that is correct, but the bigger problem is that the control arm mounting points may be in different location and at different angles. Yes, you can cut and weld the tabs on the axle tubes, but the ears on the center section are part of the casting. Oh, and there's the 5 x 5" bolt circle to deal with (all 91-96 B-bodies had the larger bolt pattern).

Given the popularity of the A-body cars, I'm guessing that this swap would already be common knowledge if it worked, especially since the B-body axles are the same from 77-96 (though wagons are wider than sedans).
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Past Administrator

Thanks for the clarification Joe. I was thinking about the control arm mounting points but didn't address those. Guess the post just starts to get a life of it's own and ramble, and ramble and...........
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the help. I Saved time amd money.