1970 olds cutlass 350 2bbl th350 vacuum hose diagram

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2011, 10:42 AM

1970 olds cutlass 350 2bbl th350 vacuum hose diagram

bought the engine it was already pulled from the car, trying to figure out these vacuum hoses, it has the little TCS unit attached on the manifold 2 green wires going to it i found some info on this and it says its supposed to have 3 vac hose connections 1 on each side that go to the front and back of the carb an then 1 that supposed to go to the dist. but it appears thats broken off. atleast one or two vac. ports on the manifold do not have anything attached. and then lastly theres a 3 port vac switch towards the front of the motor the bottom port goes to a T that connects to a port on the manifold the other side of the T i think goes to the th350 modulator, the middle port goes to isn't connected to anything and the top port goes to the dist. i will try to upload pics of everything. if someone has a chassic service manual and maybe can scan a page or too for me i'd really appreciate it as funds are limited right now i cant afford the chassic manual
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:44 AM

You don't find the TCS solenoids much anymore so hold onto it. I have that diagram but it is on my home computer. Do search on here I am pretty sure someone posted an image of how those are hooked up. Your description is pretty spot on from what I remember. Does your TCS have the plastic tips still on it or did those break off?

From what I have been told you really don't need it or the three port vacuum advance port either but its nice to have as long as you got them. I beleive one of the ports from the 3 port vacuum switch goes to the TCS I think it Ts to the manifold and the other side goes to the TCS
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

First of all, join WildAboutCars.com, and you will find your Chassis Service Manual right here.

Second, the attached diagrams should be what you need.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4bbl Engine Hoses - 1970.jpg (74.4 KB, 546 views)
Air Cleaner Hoses - 1970.jpg (76.9 KB, 473 views)
TCS Hoses 1970.jpg (61.7 KB, 514 views)
Thermo Vacuum Switch - 1970.jpg (24.1 KB, 431 views)
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 84oldsDelta88
bought the engine it was already pulled from the car, trying to figure out these vacuum hoses, it has the little TCS unit attached on the manifold 2 green wires going to it i found some info on this and it says its supposed to have 3 vac hose connections 1 on each side that go to the front and back of the carb an then 1 that supposed to go to the dist. but it appears thats broken off. atleast one or two vac. ports on the manifold do not have anything attached. and then lastly theres a 3 port vac switch towards the front of the motor the bottom port goes to a T that connects to a port on the manifold the other side of the T i think goes to the th350 modulator, the middle port goes to isn't connected to anything and the top port goes to the dist. i will try to upload pics of everything. if someone has a chassic service manual and maybe can scan a page or too for me i'd really appreciate it as funds are limited right now i cant afford the chassic manual
One, please try to use conventional sentence structure and capitalization. Us old farts have a hard time following rambling, run-on questions, and frankly if a question is too hard to understand, I'll frequently blow it off. If you want help, make it easy for other people to understand your question.

Second, is this motor going in your 84? Do you care about having the Transmission Controlled Spark (an early emissions system) actually working? I suspect not, in which case remove all that stuff and simply run the distributor vacuum advance and the trans modulator off of manifold vacuum. Cap the ports on the carb. Set the timing as needed. Enjoy.
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
You don't find the TCS solenoids much anymore so hold onto it. I have that diagram but it is on my home computer. Do search on here I am pretty sure someone posted an image of how those are hooked up. Your description is pretty spot on from what I remember. Does your TCS have the plastic tips still on it or did those break off?

From what I have been told you really don't need it or the three port vacuum advance port either but its nice to have as long as you got them. I beleive one of the ports from the 3 port vacuum switch goes to the TCS I think it Ts to the manifold and the other side goes to the TCS
thanks for the info. yeah unfortunately 1 of the 3 plastic tips are broken off, its the 1 that connects to the dist. vacuum advance. i was planning on holding onto everything i pulled from the motor anyway just in case.
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
First of all, join WildAboutCars.com, and you will find your Chassis Service Manual right here.

- Eric
damn. your the man, thank you so much
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
One, please try to use conventional sentence structure and capitalization. Us old farts have a hard time following rambling, run-on questions, and frankly if a question is too hard to understand, I'll frequently blow it off. If you want help, make it easy for other people to understand your question.

Second, is this motor going in your 84? Do you care about having the Transmission Controlled Spark (an early emissions system) actually working? I suspect not, in which case remove all that stuff and simply run the distributor vacuum advance and the trans modulator off of manifold vacuum. Cap the ports on the carb. Set the timing as needed. Enjoy.
Sorry about that I was in a rush when I typed it up, I'll try to improve on that for you guys. Yes I'm droppin it in my 84 delta. As for the tcs it dont really matter to me as long as the motor will run okay without it. i was also thinking of possible installing the intake and carb from the 307 so i can keep the computer and use the newer style dist. with this motor. Snapped some pictures for you guys.
Old March 18th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

As for the tcs it dont really matter to me as long as the motor will run okay without it.
It will run better without it.

i was also thinking of possible installing the intake and carb from the 307 so i can keep the computer and use the newer style dist. with this motor.
I'm not clear on your rationale for this.

I am not certain that a computer that is set up for a 307 with 8:1 compression and a specific cam can run a 350 with 9:1 compression and a different cam well.

You've already got all the parts necessary to make the 350 self sufficient - I'd recommend doing that and saving yourself some trouble. That 2-Jet is a fine carburetor and easy to rebuild.

- Eric
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:00 PM

It will run better without it.

I'm not clear on your rationale for this.

I am not certain that a computer that is set up for a 307 with 8:1 compression and a specific cam can run a 350 with 9:1 compression and a different cam well.

You've already got all the parts necessary to make the 350 self sufficient - I'd recommend doing that and saving yourself some trouble. That 2-Jet is a fine carburetor and easy to rebuild.

- Eric
Okay well i'll go with that then, save me some time and hassle. I guess the only reason i was gonna keep the 307 manifold is cause i have emissions testing out here. But if i can find a place that will put a sticker on for cheap enough I'll leave the motor the way it is. Do i need to run a catalytic converter with this motor? Can i run straight pipes? So can you guys give me a quick run down of what i can swap over from the 307 to the 350. What was the hp and torque numbers for this motor back in 1970?
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Okay well i'll go with that then, save me some time and hassle. I guess the only reason i was gonna keep the 307 manifold is cause i have emissions testing out here. But if i can find a place that will put a sticker on for cheap enough I'll leave the motor the way it is. Do i need to run a catalytic converter with this motor? Can i run straight pipes? So can you guys give me a quick run down of what i can swap over from the 307 to the 350. What was the hp and torque numbers for this motor back in 1970?
Everything from the 307 will swap. The 350 is externally identical. The CCC system will work on the 350, and if you need to pass emissions you have no choice but to hook everything up. Same for the catalyst. Of course, you'll need to check the laws where you live. The CCC Qjet from the 307 only has computer controlled primary metering. The secondary metering is not computer controlled and works just like on any other Qjet. Two thinks is that you'll probably want to change the secondary metering rods and you'll want to file the stop on the air valve. The 307 carbs only allow the air valve to open about 70 deg. File the stop to let it open a full 90 deg.
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM
1971 442 conv

Maybe this will help:

DSC01702.jpg
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:02 PM

- Eric
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:04 PM

MD will this diagram work on a 77-78 olds 403

- Eric
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by GT74403
will this diagram work on a 77-78 olds 403?
No. Vacuum systems should be completely different.

Try this one:

- Eric
Attached Images
1977 Olds 403 Vacuum Diagram.jpg (86.9 KB, 1193 views)
Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Is this motor going in your 84? Do you care about having the Transmission Controlled Spark (an early emissions system) actually working? I suspect not, in which case remove all that stuff and simply run the distributor vacuum advance and the trans modulator off of manifold vacuum. Cap the ports on the carb. Set the timing as needed. Enjoy.
I removed the TCS, removed the three port vacuum fitting (sorry, the proper name escapes me) and ran the distributor vacuum advance and trans modulator off of separate manifold vacuum fittings. Car runs better already!

Two questions, though:

1. What do I do with the two green wires running off the TCS solenoid? They are just dangling now.

2. Previous owner had jumpered the connector to the TCS with a resistor. Any idea what function that might have served? Resistor is still in place.

Thanks guys!
Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I am assuming that the car in question is the '70 Delta in the picture...
Originally Posted by JohnNC
1. What do I do with the two green wires running off the TCS solenoid?
Anything you want.

Originally Posted by JohnNC
2. Previous owner had jumpered the connector to the TCS with a resistor. Any idea what function that might have served?
Although I do not have a legible '70 wiring diagram in front of me, I believe I recall that all of them had this resistor.
Without the diagram I can't say exactly why it's there, though.

- Eric