Wheel cap bolts

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Wheel cap bolts

Hey guys, I just got my new SSII wheel center caps. How long should the bolts be? I don't have any of the old ones from the wheels before I restored them. Thanks...........Chumley
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Randy C.

Hi Chumley,
I looked up the stock number of that screw (9420065) in my AMK catalog. AMK lists it as a 1/4-14 X 1.0 3/8 AF .50 OD phosphate and oil (grey-black) tapping screw, part number B-12108, 6 screws in a bag for $3. This says that screw is an inch long, which seems a bit longer than I remember, but I suspect AMK is right. Go to www.amkproducts.com to see their catalog and that particular screw. I like AMK because they do have some of the fasteners needed to correctly finish a restoration. The nice thing is they have a cross reference to GM part numbers in the back of their catalog for the available fasteners AMK carries. The down side is AMK requires a minimum order of about $40 before they will fill your bill!

Randy C.
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Okay, I guess I didn't get it the first time, but apparently the caps are designed to accept a self tapping screw. Is that right? There are threads in the holes, but I could not find a bolt or screw that would thread in. I guess the threads are there to help with the self tapping? I have a set of brand new repo caps and don't want to screw them up. Further enlightenment welcome. Chumley
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM

Talking

The holes in the new caps are smooth...the threads of the screw/bolt will "form" the threads in there. The diecast is somewhat soft and the screws will do the job...same way the factory did them.

No need to order and pay shipping (+AMK seems to always wait 2 weeks to ship...great place but they don't ship quickly). Just go to a local bolt supply place and get what you need for cheap. Here's a pic of some I've used to attach SSII bolt on caps recently...worked great (these are zinc plated which is good for the application).

You can use 1/4 X 3/4" length like these . Note the shoulder on the bottom edge of the bolt head. Again, dirt cheap at a local bolt supply type place (NOT Lowe's or HDepot....I mean a real bolt supply place).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3341.JPG (82.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by 70Post; July 25th, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old July 25th, 2011, 09:20 PM

Thanks, I have a local store that has a good selection of quality fasteners. However the holes on my caps do have threads, but not a valid size. They are from The Parts Place, which I got on Ebay. I will go with the 14 x 1/4 inch screws. I guess GM designed them self-tapping so they would bite in tight and not loosen. Thanks, Chumley
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:22 PM

1/4 x 3/4" sheet metal thread screws (ie tapping screws).

Maybe someone already tried installing screws in them. Try one of the 1/4 screws and see how well it bites. If not good, I'd return them (if bought from Parts Place).

Last edited by 70Post; July 25th, 2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old July 27th, 2011, 07:56 PM

I did thread in a screw from one of the old caps, but I think it was a 1/4 #10. It took a little torque, but bit in like it was supposed to. I think the #14 screws will work okay. Just as a side note, the caps I got from the Parts Place look good, although they are not painted in the recessed sections like the stock caps. I know they sell some of their stuff as blemished items, or some other less than perfect quality. For the price though, ($160) it fit my budget. I've been searching for 2 years for a nice set of used bolt on caps. Nearly non-existent. Lots of NOS caps for $400 and north. These are wheel pieces and will get some abuse over the years, so I can't see paying that kind of cash for the "Real deal".