What's it worth? My '69 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:51 AM

What's it worth? My '69 Cutlass S

Well I hate the thoughts of parting ways with my Cutlass, but I may need the money, so what's it worth? Completely repainted 2010 with all new emblems, mirror, vinyl top. The interior needs to be restored as it has never been touched. 350 Olds with 350 transmission engine and transmission were rebuilt in '99 or '00 with probabaly 2,500 miles or less on them. I will take interior pictures tonight for you guys. And engine pictures.
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
247.jpg (93.9 KB, 108 views)
251.jpg (62.8 KB, 52 views)
253.jpg (70.8 KB, 74 views)
255.jpg (78.7 KB, 71 views)
262.jpg (71.9 KB, 75 views)
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:52 AM

More pictures

More pictures.
Attached Images
266.jpg (97.3 KB, 31 views)
267.jpg (94.8 KB, 42 views)
269.jpg (100.1 KB, 51 views)
275.jpg (75.4 KB, 54 views)
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:59 AM

I would love to make a race car out of that!
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:19 AM

Suggestion

Sell the 4 door impala and keep the olds.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by jon69olds
What's it worth?
According to this site, maybe $5,000 or $6,000? None of your photos (so far) are of the interior, which you say is the most in need of attention, nor of the engine, and it would be helpful to see those as well.

http://collectorcarmarket.com/menus/.../69olcuss.html
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Sell the 4 door impala and keep the olds.
The Impala isn't technically mine. It is still in my Dads name at his house. It has some sentimental value to it. Not saying the Olds doesn't, but I was told from a young age that the Impala would be mine someday so I have a little bit more of an emotional advantage.

As far as interior, yes it needs work. Is it bad? Well that is subjective it probably should be freshened up to match the new paint.

5-6,000? Really? Is that all? Boy I was thinking more like 12-15,000 to start.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:11 AM

Hey, set your price anywhere you want. You never know, and you can always come down. I was just pointing out what that one website says.

In my opinion, I think a non-convertible has to be pretty close to showroom condition before it starts commanding five-figure prices. But that's me. The car's exterior looks great, but, from your description, I'm guessing the interior is ok but worn and looks like you'd expect a 44 year old interior to look like.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
Administrator

The Impala isn't technically mine. It is still in my Dads name at his house. It has some sentimental value to it. Not saying the Olds doesn't, but I was told from a young age that the Impala would be mine someday so I have a little bit more of an emotional advantage.

As far as interior, yes it needs work. Is it bad? Well that is subjective it probably should be freshened up to match the new paint.

What makes you think it's worth $12-15k?
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
What makes you think it's worth $12-15k?
I guess wishful thinking. I see 442 all the time for high teens low 20's so I guess I was hoping. I agree the interior is probably what you would expect a 44 yr old interior to look like, but it could be worse. The dash is excellent the package tray other than speakers is excellent, the headliner has a couple small almost none existent holes, the carpet has a large hole near the drivers door, the seat backs look pretty bad, the seats themselves aren't that bad. I was planning on rebuilding the front seats and replacing the carpet and leave the rest alone. I'll let you guys decide tomorrow how bad the interior really is.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:28 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item2328f12e9d

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item2a2c05a97e

If you look on ebay for your car then go to closed or sold listings you will see what price is selling and what is listing some you will see over and over
I would think the 6 to 8 range seems to move things get harder to sell above that

Last edited by firefrost gold; May 2nd, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:32 PM

I will say the interior is the cheapest part of the car to repair (usually). I guess 5-6k does seem low since those fenders alone are worth 500 - 700 each. But as nice looking as the car is the market does not put a premium on Cutlii. I agree, start high and see what you can get, I bet you may get closer to 10k.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:51 PM

I guess wishful thinking. I see 442 all the time for high teens low 20's so I guess I was hoping.
But your car is not a 442, right?

1947 Packard Clipper Super Eight 2-doors in similar condition to your car go for about $12,000. Doesn't that mean yours should be worth that much, too? You were hoping, right?

Don't compare apples to oranges, or you will end up disappointed.

The website I quoted above agrees with your assessment of 442 values. It lists the value of a '69 442 2-door hardtop in #3 condition at about $18,000 while it shows the value of a '69 Cutlass S, same body style, same condition, at the roughly $5,000 to $6,000 I mentioned earlier.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:01 PM
Administrator

It's worth what someone will stroke a check for, clean it up and put a price on it and see what happens. Someone needs to fall in love!
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:06 PM

It's worth what someone will stroke a check for
This is the same old useless piece of advice to someone looking to sell a car. Of course it's true, but it's trivial. It comes at the end of the process, not the beginning, and it's of no help in setting an asking price which anyone selling a car needs to do because it's the first question anyone asks when they see an ad with no price listed. To set a price, one needs to know where the market is, and looking up recent sales of similar cars, consulting price guides, and so forth, is how you do this.

Last edited by jaunty75; May 2nd, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:15 PM
Administrator

It's worth what someone will stroke a check for, clean it up and put a price on it and see what happens. Someone needs to fall in love!
When you quote, use the whole statement. Because the highlighted part determines a sale! He can ask what ever he wants, it takes someone to fall in love.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:36 PM

When you quote, use the whole statement.
I could have, but it wouldn't have changed anything.

"It's worth whatever someone will stroke a check for" is your answer every time someone asks about the value of a car. I mean, duh! How about offering some useful advice!
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:26 PM
Beer Connoisseur

your car is really nice I wouldn't let it go for less then 10k. 5-6 seems really low. I've seen G-body go for that much. If you were in my area with interior redone that car reaches 12-14k easily. Just judging from what I see on craigslist and local car shows/corals. 71-72 no engine or tranny around here goes for 5-6.

Last edited by 70cutty; May 2nd, 2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Jaunty, people buy and sell cars, not the internet or books. I sold cars or a long time and like I've always said, there is an A$$ for every seat. The value of his car is what he thinks it's worth vs what someone is willing to pay. I've seen people pay more than a car is worth because they ell in love with it, on the other hand I've seen people pay way less.

I stand by my opinion. He should start at the price he thinks it's worth, and then maybe have to settle for what a buyer does.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:54 AM

Thanks for the opinions so far guys. I won't sell it for 5-6 it is worth more than that to me. Yes I understand that this isn't a 442 that is why I started lower than what I typically see them listed for. Granted if someone walked up with 10,000 cash it would be hard for me to say no, but I will probably hold out for a little more.
Attached Images
armrest.jpg (50.9 KB, 73 views)
back of front seat.jpg (58.9 KB, 65 views)
back seat.jpg (61.8 KB, 59 views)
carpet.jpg (62.8 KB, 40 views)
dash.jpg (61.7 KB, 82 views)
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:55 AM

More pictures
Attached Images
drivers door panel.jpg (58.6 KB, 33 views)
drivers seat.jpg (73.3 KB, 50 views)
engine.jpg (59.7 KB, 89 views)
engine-2.jpg (64.8 KB, 66 views)
front seats.jpg (59.1 KB, 56 views)
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:58 AM
delete

Originally Posted by jaunty75
This is the same old useless piece of advice to someone looking to sell a car. Of course it's true, but it's trivial.
IMO its an age old adage that warrants repeating, because that is what it comes down to.
A better question than what is it worth, what can I do to maximize value?
Your interior looks to be a couple of spray cans & a weekend away from looking pretty good. Under the hood looks OK for what it is but having all the A/C stuff ripped out hurts.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:08 AM
Administrator

With some cleaning, a little vinyl dye, and it looks like 1 seat bottom needs repair, the interior can be made to look really nice. Some upholstery shops will repair seat covers for a lot less than what a new set will run. It won't look like new but better than the tear.

Then I would detail that car from top to bottom and front to back.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:46 AM

After seeing the photos of the interior, I stand by my $5 to $6K valuation.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:51 AM

I stand by my opinion. He should start at the price he thinks it's worth
But he doesn't KNOW what it's worth!!! That's the whole POINT of this conversation!!! That's why he's here asking for advice!!! That's why he started this thread in the first place!!!

Telling him "it's worth what you think it's worth" is totally useless and doesn't help him!

I don't care how long you've been selling cars. You, he, or anyone has to start somewhere with an asking price!! Give him some advice he can use.

Yes, droptopron, it's an "old adage." So what? That doesn't automatically make it useful.

Last edited by jaunty75; May 3rd, 2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:01 AM

I say minimally 5-6k, bucket seats console, clean it up like others said and you will get more, 50% - 100% more- one tear in the seat is no big deal.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
clean it up like others said and you will get more, 50% - 100% more- one tear in the seat is no big deal.
I agree. The car's value is held back by the condition of the interior. There's lots of "potential," and a little work on the seller's part could pay dividends in getting the value up to the high four figures to $10K range. But as it sits there right now, with not another dime spent on it, $5 to $6K.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:36 AM

Yes, droptopron, it's an "old adage." So what? That doesn't automatically make it useful.
I put this one right up there with the old "if you have to ask you can't afford it". That one really burns my a$$. Just because I can afford something doesn't mean I will spend more than it's worth.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:50 AM

So you guys are suggesting I spend some money and fix up the interior. Spend some money time elbow grease on the engine bay and then it MAY be worth 10k? I realise that we are probably talking what 1,500 tops? But if I end up selling it because I need the money spending more money on it doesn't really seem logical. I still think in it's current condition it should be worth more than 5-6k, but if that is what the market says I can't argue with that. I don't know I guess I had pipes dreams of this car selling as is for 10-13,5. I guess my wife and I need to sit down and REALLY study our financial situation before I go any further. At least now I know that if I advertise it for 13,500 that I probably won't get any phone calls.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:01 AM
Administrator

But he doesn't KNOW what it's worth!!! That's the whole POINT of this conversation!!! That's why he's here asking for advice!!! That's why he started this thread in the first place!!!

He said "I thought it would be worth $12-15k.

Telling him "it's worth what you think it's worth" is totally useless and doesn't help him!

Telling him what you think it's worth is just as useless as you are not a buyer.

I don't care how long you've been selling cars. You, he, or anyone has to start somewhere with an asking price!! Give him some advice he can use.

I did, I told him to put a price on it, and see what happens. He may have to settle a little lower.

The old adage is the market sets the price, books, charts, the internet, nor peoples opinions buy cars. The bottom line is it is only worth what someone will stroke a check for vs what the seller will accept, pure and simple.

In order to get the most money for your item, someone needs to fall in love with it, period.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:42 AM

I recently searched for over a year for a 69 cutlass convertible before buying the one I did, so I can tell you from the data base I collected from CL, Ebay, Autotraderclassic etc..f you clean it up a little.. you will get $9k plus on ebay all day long for that car.

If you want my opinion, and it is only mine, I am certainly not an expert, but just do a basic cleanup of the engine, give the interior a nice bath and then take really good pictures.. write up a thorough AND HONEST description of the car and put it on ebay with a reserve.. if it sells they will take a percentage, if it doesn't it will simply cost you the listing fee and you walk away having an idea...

again what everyone said rings true.. "what it is worth and what it will sell for" are different things.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:09 AM

He said "I thought it would be worth $12-15k.
Yes, he did. But he also ASKED for other opinions. "It's worth what someone will pay you for it" ISN'T an opinion as to it's worth.

Telling him what you think it's worth is just as useless as you are not a buyer.
Bullshit! ONLY people interested in buying the car have valid opinions as to its value? Since when? What nonsense. This "opinion" is even more worthless than your "it's worth what you think it's worth" opinion.

I did, I told him to put a price on it
What a wonderful, helpful opinion. WHAT PRICE?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:23 AM
delete

So you guys are suggesting I spend some money and fix up the interior. Spend some money time elbow grease on the engine bay and then it MAY be worth 10k? I realise that we are probably talking what 1,500 tops?
Don't go that far. Think like a dealer would and ROI.
You'll lose money on recovering the seats but you'll make money by re-dying the plastic parts.
You'd lose money on pulling the engine for a top to bottom detail but might make some by power washing it.
If any of the under hood black parts aren't looking great pull them off & respray them.
If you have the A/C parts mention in the ad that they go with the car.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:37 AM

Ok. So give it a much needed high end detail. Redye-seat backs/armrests/other interior parts as needed and list it for 12 and hope someone offers 10? The opinions have helped somewhat, although like they say "opinions can be like ********, everyone has one they usually stink and you don't usually like hearing them." LOL! The a/c was missing when I bought the car in '99. I believe the condensor is still there and of course the controls are in the dash for it, but it needs a compressor and maybe something else. I'm not even sure what all it needs to hook the a/c back up. I considered and may do if I keep the car putting a vintage air system in and hooking it up to the controls/vents.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:34 AM

Asking price

Im sure your smart enough to be reasonable on your asking price, Dont ask for the stars but dont ask dirt either. You can always come down on the price but once its posted you cant go up. Ask what you want, if you get any interest negotiate from there.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Ok Jaunty, I'm done being your pet peeve for the week. Your right as always, just drop it. I've only sold 150-200 used cars a year for the past 9 years and admit I don't know what I'm talking about....
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM

Again it looks like the plastic on the seat backs, armrest bases, and kick panels may be degraded quite a bit. But still if they were all a close match in color as in all the same "one" color that would be alot more appealing to any prospective buyer. The paint would be relatively cheap. Elbow grease is free "sometimes"
Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM

Looks like a nice driver but may not bring the money you want. The tired interior will scare off buyers with money and bring out bargain hunters. My "stinking" opinion is $5-6 as is, $7-8 with engine and interior detailed up nicely and maybe $10 with a new interior. All assuming mechanicals/suspension/brakes in good condition.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:13 PM

I recently bought a really straight 67 442, not running, needs almost everything. It will be a total rebuild. It is a very solid car almost no rust, all original, never restored from what i have seen so far. Its still almost 50 years old. I think i paid too much, BUT I WANTED IT, so i bought it! 69 is my other favorite year. If someone really wants THAT car, they will pay to get it. Sometimes some cars just strike a nerve with me or with anyone, and we might be willing to pay alittle more to get it.
The outside looks very good, detail the inside, under the hood, and perhaps inside the trunk. Make it more appealing to those looking for that special ride.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:55 PM

don't bother with the AC, anyone really interested in a car like this will plan on knowing the AC will need work, seldom is the AC ever working well to begin with and most folks don't care if it does. Yes its nice when they it does work but you cruise with these cars not use them every day (at least most of us don't).

Clean the car up inside and out and ask 11.5k or 12.5. Its a nice looking car, someone can spend 5k on it and have a dream car. You are right, either keep it or spend very little on it to sell it. Heck, if I spent 30k more on mine maybe I could get 200k at BJ too, but where would I get the 30K?

In the end its easier to lower your price than to raise it. In a better market you'd already have been getting offers. That would be a perfect car for my daughter.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:05 PM

I saw this movie with a high-mile car, a 90's Mercedes wagon. I was into it low but was surprised to find NADA and Kelly consumer retail quite generous. So, I locked in my bottom line and added a couple grand to hit the average retail number.

Went with regional Craig's List postings to go fishin'. Put up a rich ad with nice pictures and a detailed description. No real bites, just tire kickers and low-ballers. I thought maybe I wasn't "marketing" the old merc properly so I changed up the ad. I ran the tile as "Luxury Pet Owner Estate Car". Tossed in new pics of the retractable net partition in the cargo area pulled down.

The phone rang off the hook. I had dog lovers going nutty to snag that car. I sold it to a Doctor who had Labardor's and had to have it. I told him there were other parties interested when 25 minutes later he came over with cash, full asking price and didn't even negotiate. My point is, buyers do purchase from emotions or "love".

Buyers often research website price guides to have an "informed" opinion. Hit up Hagerty (collector car insurance) and run your car value. No question they have a clue where she's valued. Now you have a good starting point, add the amount you feel they will beat you up over and you're good to go.

Quick Reply: What's it worth? My '69 Cutlass S