What is a 4 door worth?

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM

What is a 4 door worth?

Hi,
I am new to the forum (but will be a frequent flyer soon) and have a couple of questions. In the spring I will be receiving a 68 Cutlass 4 door from my Dad. It has the 350 rocket with auto trans. It was my Grandfather’s car and has been in the family since new. I know it has more sentimental value than market value, but what is would a ball park value be on one that is restored? I am budgeting $6,000. Four of which will go to paint. All work but paint and recovering the front seat will be done by me. I do not have a ton of experience, but just finished a 3 year restomod of a 68 Mustang. (I know, what’s a @#$% Ford guy doing here??)
My second question is how available are parts for this car, and what 2 door parts are interchangeable with a 4 door? I may be in the bizarre situation of using a 2 door donor car to build a 4 door.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi sandman
Well, on the bright side it's an Olds, and it's a family car so you know the history. On the downside, you're right that there's not a lot of market for a 4 door. Aftermarket parts are available. This site is a wealth of information and source depot for parts too.

To do a restoration for 6,000? It's still going to be a 4 door sedan that's worth more instrinsically to you than anything else. It would be nice to see at a car show, but it's never going to attract big bucks or the attention the 2 doors get.

Glad to see that you're doing the work. Sounds like you have some skills. Congrats on the resto of the 'stang. It's a popular year and car. Since a lot of cars have similarities in build techniques, that should help a lot on the resto you're planning to do. GM likes to "hide" a lot of the trim fasteners instead of putting them in plain site like Ford and Chrysler did.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:06 AM
Registered

Welcome Furd guy.

We're all car guys here so it's cool, and it doesn't matter what make as long as it's an Oldsmobile.

You should be okay spending that much but don't expect to make a lot selling it right now. I saw a really nice restored '71 4 door on another site for $4500 bucks. I can't believe it's that cheap, maybe he meant $14,500 OBO?

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=62035

I never add up receipts or keep track of the money spent, too scary, same goes for fuel mileage.

I have a wagon so I have a couple of extra doors too, not much can be used from the 2 doors except for the front clip, dash, some trim and running gear on mine.

I'm not sure about the trunk lid on 4 doors?
The windshield is different than a 2 door if it's the same deal as in '71.
Recovering the seat may be tricky, there were no kits made for the 4 door and wagon solid back benches so I had to have my seats done by a trim shop, or is yours split?

Last edited by Bluevista; September 23rd, 2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:13 AM

the trunk lid is the same as a convertible. that will make the price for it high. if yours is repairable or in good condition, it will sure be a good thing. i seen a guy buy a complete 4 door car for $900 just to get a rust free trunk lid off of it.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
the trunk lid is the same as a convertible. that will make the price for it high. if yours is repairable or in good condition, it will sure be a good thing. i seen a guy buy a complete 4 door car for $900 just to get a rust free trunk lid off of it.

Thanks for the info.
I've heard of guys buying cars for the OAI hoods but never that. I see NOS carb parts and factory 8 track tapes sell on evilbay for that much money so no surprise.
There are a few 4 doors being parted on Craigslist, I wonder how the trunk lids are?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Welcome Furd guy.

We're all car guys here so it's cool, and it doesn't matter what make as long as it's an Oldsmobile.

You should be okay spending that much but don't expect to make a lot selling it right now. I saw a really nice restored '71 4 door on another site for $4500 bucks. I can't believe it's that cheap, maybe he meant $14,500 OBO?

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=62035

Bluevista.
I think you're right. That's a ton of work and material for just 4500 obo. What great pics on the link. And that's a CS too which is higher on the totem pole than just a 4 door pillared sedan. It looks gorgeous. Gotta agree with the comment on RPO, lose the chebby wheels. I couldn't find this car on CL. Anyone else want to try and see if its a typo on the price??
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM

That Cutlass is COOL!

4 doors are where it is at. Especially if they are hardtops. They were the most expensive cars when sold new except convertibles.
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Welcome I also have a 64 ford Ranchero along with my 72 Cutlass. I have many fond memories of the 4 doors and the wagons. When I was a kid my dad loved Rambler's(AMC) and we had a new one every 3 or 4 years. The last being a 4 door Ambassador sedan. That thing was a beast to wash and wax hehe. Your car will always have more sentimental value than real value any way. But the value is always what someone is willing to pay for one or if in auction what 2 people are willing to pay.
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Welcome!

In my opinion, that car is invaluable. It's been in the family since new, and that should be enough to want to restore it the best you can.

I guess it's a little hard to answer your question in terms of what's available. What does the car need? You don't state what needs to be done with it.

In general, '68's are a little more difficult for which to find parts, as several things are one year only on the car, so they're not being reproduced.

You state you need the front seat to be recovered. For '68, definitely go with Legendary Auto Interiors, especially if it has the '68 dimpled vinyl (not sure if you have an S, Supreme, etc). Check them out here: http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/

Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions. I should be able to provide an answer based on what I've learned over the last year and a half restoration I'm STILL working on.

Last edited by 68Tom; September 24th, 2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM

Thanks!

Wow, thanks for all the advice. The mustang forum I joined really got me through the resto. on that car. I was hoping to find one just as good for the Olds and I think I found it!
The car spent its life in central and north west PA, but usually garaged. It was my grandfather’s first new car but he passed away a few months after he bought it. My grandmother drove it until 1988. Since then it has moved from winter storage to my dad’s house and back to winter storage. A few trips to the ice cream shop in between but not much else. It has 81,000 miles on it. The body is good, the paint is faded and worn though. The front fenders have some small dents from where my grandma misjudged her garage as she got olderJ I actually hate to fix them. It has a bench front seat and the foam is shot. There are some tears as well. The engine runs strong and remarkably does not leak. The trans does have a small leak. I suspect the seals have dried out but have not actually looked at it. I do not know the GM paint color names but it is a light blue with a white painted top. (not vinyl)
The $6,000 budget is based on my experience with the Mustang. I will use the same body shop for paint and the Stang ran $4,000 for a very nice base coat clear coat. I anticipate about $1,000 for interior, and another $1000 for miscellaneous “stuff” you always need!
If you are interested, here is the car domain link for my Stang. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3373936
Thanks again for the advice, and I will need much more in the future!

Last edited by sandman357; September 24th, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old September 24th, 2009, 06:07 PM

i am a hard core Oldsmobile person but you did a good job on the ferd. the 4 door looks to be in good hands. post pictures along the way.
Old September 24th, 2009, 06:32 PM

I have never used Legendary Auto Interiors; however, I've heard they are expensive. You might be better off having a local shop redo your interior. Especially since you are already convinced that you won't get a load of cash when you sell it in the future. No need to put OEM fabric back on the seats. Just have a local shop do it in a nice shade of blue with broadcloth. You will be happy and the price will most likely be cheaper.