Water/Antifreeze in oil pan

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Water/Antifreeze in oil pan

Ok, so I'm doing several engine mods and upgrades, (headers, intake, water pump, fuel pump, etc.) and I figure it would be a good time to flush the block out. So I put a hose into each of the water pump ports and it all seems to either flush back out the same holes and some out of the water ports on the heads. So no big deal, I thought. So then I find out after searching this site I should have removed the plugs on the side of the block to let the water flush out. Well I had broken off the dip stick tube while removing the old exhaust manifolds and trying to get the remainder out of the block, I ended up pushing it further into the block. So to get it out, I need to drop the oil pan. PITA, but not that bad as I can get it off, clean it up, new paint. And so I remove the oil drain plug and out gushes about a gallon of watery antifreeze which undoubtely was from the flush job. I did get the pan off and all the water appears to be out. So how did the water get into the pan and did I screw something up?
Thanks, Rob
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:24 PM

If you didn't start it like that, I doubt it
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Water probably got into the pan because the water pump wasn't bolted on and the timing cover probably wasn't sealed. The water/anti freeze could have seeped in between the cover and block and went into the pan.