Tips on 72 rear end

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2016, 06:07 PM

Tips on 72 rear end

Hello everyone,

Im getting ready to start working on my 72 after a pretty busy year. Its a 72 cutlass convertible with a 455 and auto transmission.

My plan was to put in a posi in and change the gears to give it a little more get up and go around town.

I wanted to know if you guys could recommend where I can get the parts and specifically what parts I should get. I don't have a good junk yard nearby and I would prefer to buy the parts new anyways. I believe I have a 12 bolt rear end and a 3 speed transmission. How much would all of this set me back?

The transmission shifts very smoothly but since I have to drop it to work on the rear end would it be smart to have it rebuilt since its out?

Sorry if some of these questions sound amateurish. This is just a hobby of mine and my neighbor does the majority of the work.

Thank you for your advice in advance.
Old January 5th, 2016, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by GreekDog
Hello everyone,

Im getting ready to start working on my 72 after a pretty busy year. Its a 72 cutlass convertible with a 455 and auto transmission.

My plan was to put in a posi in and change the gears to give it a little more get up and go around town.

I wanted to know if you guys could recommend where I can get the parts and specifically what parts I should get. I don't have a good junk yard nearby and I would prefer to buy the parts new anyways. I believe I have a 12 bolt rear end and a 3 speed transmission. How much would all of this set me back?

You probably have a Corporate 10 bolt if the car is stock. Not a 12 bolt.

Figure a couple hundred bucks for the gears (depends what you buy) and a couple hundred for the posi unit (depends what you buy). Check Summit Racing equipment...you might consider just having a shop do this if you're not going to do it yourself.

The transmission shifts very smoothly but since I have to drop it to work on the rear end would it be smart to have it rebuilt since its out?

You don't have to take the transmission out to work on the rear end...so...no.

Sorry if some of these questions sound amateurish. This is just a hobby of mine and my neighbor does the majority of the work.

Thank you for your advice in advance.
Old January 6th, 2016, 12:13 AM

Curious

Please tell me where you are buying new posi carriers for a couple of hundred dollars for the corporate 8.5"
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Please tell me where you are buying new posi carriers for a couple of hundred dollars for the corporate 8.5"
My apologies...why don't you look up the exact dollar amount and give the guy a more accurate assessment of the situation he's in rather than come on here waiving your purse around?

Feel free to add something constructive to the thread...or don't. Your call.

Damn it's good to be back ain't it?
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
My apologies...why don't you look up the exact dollar amount and give the guy a more accurate assessment of the situation he's in rather than come on here waiving your purse around?

Feel free to add something constructive to the thread...or don't. Your call.

Damn it's good to be back ain't it?
You stated that you can buy a Posi for a couple hundred dollars. I simply asked from where as I have never seen them sell that cheap.

If you are correct that is great. Share the source. If you gave false or incomplete info then maybe it is YOU who needs to be more constructive with you posts.

I don't have a purse but I am ok with it if you do. I won't judge you.
Old January 8th, 2016, 06:31 PM

Hey Dave, it's bullshit like you that keeps great new members away.

Wanna see a site die? Keep at it buddy...you know damn well what I meant. You're a troll...no two ways about it.

Have fun stroking your ego.
Old January 8th, 2016, 06:50 PM

GreekDog,
If your car has the original rear end it should have 10 bolts on the cover & 10 bolts holding the ring gear to the carrier. If you can take a good clear picture of the cover we can help you identify what you have. The good news is that it is a good rear end as is & is pretty easy to find parts for. There are a couple great rear end guys on this board that will probably chime in soon to guide you in the right direction.
Old January 8th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

To play Devils advocate my buddy paid 400 for a Yukon posi unit from an eBay vendor. I installed it and a 3.90 gear in an 8.5 .,he spent Bout 850 all said and done and I installed it all for free. I just had my posi unit rebuilt with a 12 bolt style clutch and a few other tricks and a used 3.90 gear and spent 700. I decided to have mine rebuilt by a good friend because of preference, my usage and his experience with high hp diffs, but to be honest if I bought a new posi and new gear I would have spent the same had I built it my self but I have my reasons. Any who that's some food for thought.
Old January 8th, 2016, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Hey Dave, it's bullshit like you that keeps great new members away.

Wanna see a site die? Keep at it buddy...you know damn well what I meant. You're a troll...no two ways about it.

Have fun stroking your ego.
The costs to install gears & posi with all the associated parts is much higher than you stated. Facts are facts as others have posted already. I don't know what you meant but I sure can read what you posted.

Please check your hate & anger before you post in the future; it's embarrassing for you.
Old January 9th, 2016, 08:31 PM
MOTORHEAD

it is some times where you are located at
and almost always who you know
as far as price and and access to the goods

keep on your quest
and do not pay heed to the bickering
Old January 10th, 2016, 06:35 AM

I've been looking, unless you are going all used parts, no way its happening for a couple hundred..

On jegs today,
auburn electric is $842
detroit locker $735
auburn Pro series $531
eaton $509
Yukon gear $476
auburn $424

even a lunchbox locker is $350

easy hundred for bearings/shims

gears are $275 and up..

and put it all into a 45 year old housing and axles.
Old January 10th, 2016, 06:48 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I bought my parts from monzas, paid little over $600 for new Eaton posi and gears together with seals and gaskets. Paid $250 to have the rear hot tanked and built.
Old January 10th, 2016, 09:49 AM

You can likely get a used limited slip differential for a reasonable price. I would have no issues using one as it would probably be in the same condition as the original in my car, which still works fine.

The Richmond Gear web site listing for vehicles that used the 8.5" 10 bolt is a good reference for what vehicles to look for in a salvage yard or other sources for used auto parts. I think the carrier you would want is the 410408 casting as it is the "3 series carrier" and will work with ratios of 2.73-up. The 410409 carrier was used with 2.56 and 2.41 ratios.

Old January 10th, 2016, 09:53 AM
delete

EBay but caveat emptor http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-8-5-Posi-...5VekWq&vxp=mtr