Things to watch for on a '66?

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2019 | 11:30 AM

Things to watch for on a '66?

I'm going to have a look at a '66 Cutlass hardtop that's caught my eye. I'm more of a 69-72 fan so I'm not as familiar with the quirks of the '66s. It looks like a nice clean restoration, engine swapped to a SBO 350 and pretty much stock appearing apart from that.

Is there anything I should be watching for in regards to common issues rust or mechanically? I'm not worried about the correctness of the car (although an SBC is always a deal breaker for me!!) but more about the overall appearance and mechanical condition.
Old July 6th, 2019 | 12:58 PM
Administrator

Look for rot repair around the rear glass lower channel and rear pkg tray. All in all the car mechanically is about the same as 69+ with the exception of the transmission and rear if original.
Old July 6th, 2019 | 04:58 PM

Thanks, Eric. Moot point now that I've had a look at it though. Nice enough car for what it is but it wasn't the car I was hoping or looking for and the asking price was way off what I feel the car is worth so I'm passing on it.
Old July 6th, 2019 | 05:53 PM
Administrator

Sorry it didn't work out.
Old July 6th, 2019 | 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Sorry it didn't work out.
Thanks, although not working out makes life easier anyhow! If I had decided to go for it, I would have had to sell a car I've had for 30 years and don't really want to part with yet, then figure out which A bodies needed new homes too. I wasn't really looking for a car, this one just popped up on my radar and piqued my interest. My preference would be to find the time I need to finish the interior, engine and rear end swaps in my '70 then start having fun with that. Time is a precious commodity these days though! Can't wait until retirement so at least I can be busy wondering how I ever had time for a day job!
Old July 6th, 2019 | 06:26 PM
Administrator

I assure you, in retirement time goes by faster for some reason.
Old July 8th, 2019 | 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I assure you, in retirement time goes by faster for some reason.
How true that is..... but still you get to do what you want, not what your boss wants. OOPs! of course there's still the wife, yes dear, yes dear...
Old July 8th, 2019 | 07:35 AM

Clay, you need to look for a 65, i keep adding to my pile of parts and need to somewhere close to to take them when my car is done. i guess i need to start working on it for that to happen tho
hows the car show looking this year? i would love to help park the cars again this year if you need me
Old July 8th, 2019 | 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
Clay, you need to look for a 65, i keep adding to my pile of parts and need to somewhere close to to take them when my car is done. i guess i need to start working on it for that to happen tho
hows the car show looking this year? i would love to help park the cars again this year if you need me
Hahaha...nice try, Stan! The last thing I need is to start another category of parts piles around here :-D Maybe you should stop by for a beer and take a few parts off my hands...doesn't matter if you don't even own a Beetle! I really just want to see that '65 rolling down the road (complete and under power, not just pushed outta your driveway and abandoned)

The show planning is coming along well, I'll let our volunteer coordinator know and we'll be in touch soon. Definitely appreciate the help!