steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2015, 03:55 PM

steering wheel removal

i have a 1980 olds calais and need to remove the steering wheel. i cannot remove the center cap,i can get the rubber piece off but not the metal piece without breaking anything,help ......
Old July 22nd, 2015, 06:27 PM

What does your steering wheel look like? Can you post a picture of it?
Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:17 AM
Oldsdruid

The sport wheel horn button center just pries out of the wheel. Standard wheel, you have to remove some screws on back side to get the horn pad off. Once the horn buttons are out of the way you need a 7/8" socket and breaker bar to unscrew the bolt holding wheel onto steering shaft, then a steering wheel puller to pull the wheel off.

After that, if you're going any deeper into the column you need a lock plate removal tool and a pick to remove it's retaining ring. You also need a shop manual or good exploded drawing of the wheel and column.

You can find all the tools at the chain auto parts stores, and some will rent them to you.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 10:54 AM

i got the center piece off finally and found part of the reason the horn doesn't work,the little holder and spring was there but no wire. i shorted the contact inside the steering wheel and the horn still doesn't work so i need to know the color of the wire to the horn going up inside the steering wheel and where the horn relay is any help would be most appriated.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 12:06 PM

what year is your car again?

I might have a factory manual for the cost of postage.

I think the horn wire is black.

Under the steering wheel is a round contact plate typically also used as a turn signal canceller, the horn juice must go thru that. Do your signals cancel?

If you must get a pick to get that lock ring off do yourself a favor and spring for NAME BRAND such as Snap-on, Matco, or Mac tools. Search epay for one or a set. I have had dozens of Shipwreck Tools ones fail and bend and frustrate and the first time I use a real one I knew what that money went for. Proper steel and proper heat treatment.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 08:36 AM

it is a 1980 cutlass calais. i am not sure if they cancel the car is not on the road yet,i will have to jack up the front end and try it.