Speedo Dial Jumping

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2013, 07:21 AM

Speedo Dial Jumping

Hey CO,

When I bought my '71 Supreme the speedo and odometer weren't working. I replaced the speedo cable and at first it appeared to work properly.

Now, when I'm going at either very slow (5-15mph), or cruising (60-80mph) the speedo dial kinda floats around like the fuel guage. Its REALLY annoying!
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Perhaps the new cable is in a bind or dirty, maybe bad gear at speedo or trans.
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:51 AM
car guy

I have had a frozen or stiff cable cause the drive gear to push the driven gear off the retainer spring. Pull the cable off the trans and use a hand drill to turn the cable as someone watches the speedo. If its smooth then you know the problem is in the trans side.
Old September 25th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Perhaps the new cable is in a bind or dirty, maybe bad gear at speedo or trans.
As always, start troubleshooting with the most likely cause first, which is the cable. Disconnect the sheath at the speedo, pull out the cable, lube it with wheel bearing grease, and reassemble. 90% chance that will fix the problem. If not, inspect the driven and drive gears and potentially replace the entire cable and sheath.
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the advise. I've been pretty busy with school and work lately, haven't had time to do anything with the car besides drive it.

I want to try the drill trick this weekend and see how that goes.

I have noticed one significant drivetrain isssue, it goes as follows:

When a forward gear is engaged, sometimes at first the transmission does not seem to fully engage. The vehicle will still go forward, but i must apply the throttle liberally. In some cases, when the throttle is applied liberally, the trans seems to slam into a fully engaged drive gear in which case it hauls *** like it should. Every once in a while, upon first getting in the car and pulling off, when i come to my first stop the vehicle almost acts like it is in neutral. I am careful when this happens, and with my foot on the brake i try to get it to fully engage a gear. It normally snaps into gear and she rolls on into the sunset. I haven't had an issue where she wouldn't go into gear (knock on wood), but it is a little concerning. Lately I have been sure to make sure she is good and warm before I do anything.

Clutch? Trans? Thoughts?
Old October 17th, 2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by eazy

When a forward gear is engaged, sometimes at first the transmission does not seem to fully engage. The vehicle will still go forward, but i must apply the throttle liberally. In some cases, when the throttle is applied liberally, the trans seems to slam into a fully engaged drive gear in which case it hauls *** like it should.

Clutch? Trans? Thoughts?
Check your transmission fluid before you drive.
Engine warm, Car parked level, in Park,
Remove and clean dip stick (PS rear).

Find the hash marks indication full marks. Dip again and check.
Make sure the fluid level is in the normal range, If its below normal, do not drive!!!

If you rev the engine in gear on low fluid, say good by to your xmission.

You will destroy your auto transmission if you are low on fluid.

If the fluids are perfect, then I can only suggest a visit to a real transmission shop.