Replacing the underhood insulation pad

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:41 AM

Replacing the underhood insulation pad

I plan to replace the underhood pad on my 72 Supreme Convertible. A leaking front seal as well as a leaking water pump has made it a droopy, filthy mess! It currently has rounded corner square plastic retainers. Are they the correct ones, and how many are required? My recent back surgery won't let me start this yet, even to dig around to firgure if I am missing any clips, but I wanted to order the parts so I can complete this when I'm ready. If I need clips, anyone know the corrects part number for my 72, and does anyone if any of the companies sell a better pad and clipr? One of the companies says not like the original, but they will work. Well, If I am going to pay to replace a part, I would rather have it as close to original as possible, unless a new design has some clear benefit over the original.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:12 AM
Cutlass Lover

I got Teepo's hood pad at Fusicks, and the new clips also. I got the "best" pad they have. It was around $100, but worth it. Looks real nice under there! Bluevista put it in and he used some kind of adhesive and the new clips. Well worth the money.

Here's a thread we had a while back with some pics!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nsulation.html
Old September 23rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Randy C.

Definitely go with the higher quality molded underhood pad. I got mine from Fusick and it looks great, works well, and I didn't have much trouble installing it. In addition to the cost of the pad, it costs about half as much again to get it shipped because it comes in a large, irregular size package. I used the square retainers because that's what came originally on my '68 4-4-2 (Lansing car) and my '69 4-4-2 (Fremont car). It might be that, by '72, they changed to the round retainers or they may have used them all through the era, depending upon supply source and availability. I'd check with a few other '72 owners first before deciding which retainer to use.

Randy C.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM

My pad appears to be the original, so I assume the clips are too. I just wasn't sure how many it takes, or if I am missing any. If I'm missing any, I want to order ones that wwill match. My pad is very dirty, and with my recent surgery, I'm not twisting around under the hood looking to see if some of the clips are missing. I have a definite sag where the pad has gained weight from all the oil and coolant that has splattered on it over the years.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM

I found that the repro square clips do not say in the hood. The roundies do.
The cheap mat looks okay, but far from original. I might spring for a good one later.
Good job on following Dr's orders. I found it very hard to comply after my surgery!
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM

I just replaced mine,got it from Fusiks along with the clips. If your gonna buy one buy the better one its about a $100 + $70 to ship cause its so big.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Randy C.

I used the repro square retainers from Fusick (along with their molded underhood pad) and haven't had any problem with the retainers falling out. If '72s are anything like '68s and '69s, there are a total of 5 retainers - 1 on each corner and one in the middle. I've heard that people have better luck with the round retainers than with the square retainers, but I just haven't had a problem with the square ones.

Randy C.
Old September 24th, 2011, 08:51 AM

Will my original retainers come off without breaking if I resist the urge to be a bull in a China shop? Any ideas for the bst method to remove them undamaged?
Old September 24th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Randy C.

As I recall, the back sides of all those retainers are impossible to reach. I wanted to save mine as well but, when I got to looking at it, I couldn't do it so I just had to cut them off and buy new ones. If you remove your underhood pad from around the retainers, I suspect you will see what I mean.

Randy C,
Old September 24th, 2011, 06:51 PM

I twisted and pulled at mine and maybe a third of them were reusable... Rest were replaced by dorman 'help' parts