rear differential seal

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2014, 01:58 PM

rear differential seal

Does anyone know the part number for the front differential seal on a 65 Cutlass (330 cid). It's the one(and only one)that the drive shaft goes into. Thanks. O'Reillys gave me a National 2043 and it is the wrong one.
Old February 1st, 2014, 02:56 PM

Thumbs up measure

if u have a sliding caliper measure the o d of the flange where the seal rides and the I d of the housing where the seal goes (push in) and they should be able to get a seal for u that way.
hope this help I get seals from oriallys all the time this way
thanks ray
Old February 1st, 2014, 03:38 PM
Lansing built

Rock auto national#2043

Pat
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:53 PM

O'Reilly's shows it as a 2043. Advance Auto Parts shows it as a 2043. I would say that it really does fit, or that somebody put the wrong seal in the 2043 box, or that a PO changed your rear end in the past.

Just as a note, the driveshaft doesn't go into this seal. The rear end pinion shaft goes into it. (The driveshaft goes into the rear seal of the transmission.)
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:02 AM

Question

Originally Posted by jRoofgunner
Does anyone know the part number for the front differential seal on a 65 Cutlass (330 cid). It's the one(and only one)that the drive shaft goes into. Thanks. O'Reillys gave me a National 2043 and it is the wrong one.
Originally Posted by 69 Ragtop
O'Reilly's shows it as a 2043. Advance Auto Parts shows it as a 2043. I would say that it really does fit, or that somebody put the wrong seal in the 2043 box, or that a PO changed your rear end in the past.

Just as a note, the driveshaft doesn't go into this seal. The rear end pinion shaft goes into it. (The driveshaft goes into the rear seal of the transmission.)

I think we need more clarification on just which seal needs to be replaced? The differential seal, or the rear transmission seal.....big difference!

If it is the front differential seal, you have more problems than just a seal....you need to remove the pinion yoke, and this is not an easy job without proper tools; and the pinion will have to be retorqued to the proper specs. (Sorry, I'm a Mopar guy.....not sure just how the Olds rear end comes apart....lol!)

A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL is a big plus when doing this work!
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:14 AM

First you need to know what differential it has in it to get the correct pinion seal.Also in correct torque on the pinion nut will ruin the pinion bearings.
Old February 4th, 2014, 09:05 AM

I took the 2043 seal back to O'Reilly's and the guy heard my story so he got some manuals out and looked on the computer. Apparently the computer parts list really is not complete. The older manuals he had show there are three different seals because there where three different diffs over the year. Since I had the yoke we matched up one of the three seals and it turned out to be #8460N and it's the one with a flange so it can put installed only so far. It should work. This number he said covers 1964 to 1972 and he thought maybe that Olds had different diffs installed depending on where the car was assembled. Anything's possible-different suppliers, who knows. As long as it works!
Old February 4th, 2014, 12:18 PM

False alarm on the seal. Doesn't fit. It's too big and won't fit where it goes. The seal part is the correct fit. The OD of the seal is 2.815 and the hole where it fits is 2.642. I don't know-back to O'Reilly's The only markings I see on the differential are on the bottom center: 9779822, F276, a large number 4 and then what appears a date of manufacture clock like marking that you see on parts. This should be the original that came with the car.

Last edited by jRoofgunner; February 4th, 2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old February 4th, 2014, 01:50 PM

This is an interesting Pontiac post. It may help you or it may confuse you...

http://www.gtoforum.com/f12/65-gto-casting-27870/

You might try a seal for a '65 GTO.
Old February 4th, 2014, 02:44 PM

How I did it, I hope! But I won't find out until the snow stops here in N Central MO. OK, the guy said at O'Reilly's that there were three possible seals for my car. I decided to research the national seals website. The #2043 as guys stated here fits the 65 Cutlass, 442 and for the F-85 they say the 2043 and the 8460N. So using my measurements I started checking 64's, 66's, etc. as to what would fit my car. Turns out I came up with 8611N which is for a 65 Delta. I called O'reillys back and a different sales guy said he could find only two numbers for the Cutlass/442. He entered the 8611N and it just showed 65-66 Olds. I didn't go back to check on the Goat numbers but I'd say if I were working one one I might be going through the same deal. Who knows, maybe a got a heavy duty rear end??? I think mine was made towards the end of the year in Fremont, Ca. so maybe they just stuck what parts they had or could modify in it. All I care is that won't leak!!!!!!!!!! The seal that was in it was a National and the first three numbers are 977. wish the car could talk!
Old February 15th, 2014, 12:52 PM

THE right seal

NAPA seal # 16500 fits. I just put it in. So it is a good day and I put the parts order in to BAP for all the stuff I need to get this baby back into showroom. Getting a full service manual, etc. for it!!
Old February 15th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Lansing built

NAPA seal # 16500 fits. I just put it in. So it is a good day and I put the parts order in to BAP for all the stuff I need to get this baby back into showroom. Getting a full service manual, etc. for it!!

You need to do a search on parts suppliers on this site, the one your dealing with, all I can say is good luck. They have a bad rep!

Pat
Old February 16th, 2014, 08:36 AM

I typed up a response to your comment but I guess it took to long and the whole thing was lost. Anyway, I had my 442 in Solano State Prison for almost three years and the inmates went over the whole car and did a great job and I got parts from everywhere and many came from BAP when they were in Saint Joe, MO. They are within driving distance. After dealing with staff, gangsters, and admin in the prison system I can deal with about anything. With the 70 I got the wrong color blue from an outfit in the east and I have catalogs from the OCA nationals. I will get the car done one way or another correctly.
Old February 16th, 2014, 10:11 PM

Post Many choices

As you have one that fits, this will probably no longer be needed, but just in case (for group 5.469);
An Olds parts book dated Oct. 1964 shows the part number as 9773216.
Another Olds parts book dated Aug. 1973 shows the number as 1387449 for the Buick type axle; and 404294 for the Pontiac and Olds type axles (which supercedes 9784508-396470).
I can understand that there may have been a bit of confusion. I suppose that it's best just to match the old one.
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:12 AM

Guess what??? The seal that I pulled out of the car, which was partially ruined, had the 977 on the seal and it was a National seal! I shall make note of your post. Thank you. Working on older cars is like a box of chocolates: you never know what's in it!