Plastic fenderwells

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM

Plastic fenderwells

I am having trouble fitting my new plastic fenderwells on my 72. (Parts Place). The passenger side fits fairly well however the drivers side does not. It seems to need trimming along the outside of the wheelwell and the fender holes don't line up. Anyone had problems with these or others? Can I heat it with a heat gun and re-shape it to fit better?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ziff396
I am having trouble fitting my new plastic fenderwells on my 72. (Parts Place). The passenger side fits fairly well however the drivers side does not. It seems to need trimming along the outside of the wheelwell and the fender holes don't line up. Anyone had problems with these or others? Can I heat it with a heat gun and re-shape it to fit better?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin
You can always drill new holes and put the u-nut clips were you need them. I just used my old wheel/fender wells, and fixed the holes with fishing line and kitty hair.
Heat gun is a good idea, if it works? I used the wifes hair dryer to loosen up stiff rubber grommets in the trunk, worked great. Anything is possible.
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:56 PM

I'd hesitate to get anywhere near those with a heat gun....once you hit the temp where anything is going to stretch it's a VERY FINE LINE b/n that and melting/distorting/bubbling/or burning the plastic.

You can't shrink them back either....so you better be very comfortable that you can control the heat and push on the right area(s) while maintaining just enough heat to keep the plastic at the "plastic" stage.
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:59 AM

Thanks! I was at the point where it was the heat gun or it was taking a flying ride out into the snowbank! Anyways, I did'nt do either one. I got a response from a person on realoldspower that bought his from the parts place and had the same problem on the drivers side. He just trimmed his and punched holes where they were needed for the clips. I guess my daughter won't be getting that expensive sled after all!
Thanks again
Kevin
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
is Fast Enough ...

$160 ...

I'm going to start grabbing these even if the fenders are hosed ...

I've run into buying A-Body parts that fit all BOP but they don't fit Olds, like the windshield washer nozzles and the hood seal...
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by mugzilla
I've run into buying A-Body parts that fit all BOP but they don't fit Olds, like the windshield washer nozzles and the hood seal...
What was the issue with your hood seal?

There are two varieties. I had to use the sponge foam one for my '72, which took a while for me to figure out how to install (but was successful). The stiff rubber one would not let the hood close.
This was just a trial and error fit...

My washer nozzles came from Fusick and they fit fine- where did you get yours?

Just curious...

Now I did have a big issue with repro power window regulators for my '72...
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
What was the issue with your hood seal?

There are two varieties. I had to use the sponge foam one for my '72, which took a while for me to figure out how to install (but was successful). The stiff rubber one would not let the hood close.
This was just a trial and error fit...

My washer nozzles came from Fusick and they fit fine- where did you get yours?

Just curious...

Now I did have a big issue with repro power window regulators for my '72...
The Olds seal is squared off and the round one would not let the hood close and the placement and style of fasteners was different . I lucked out and found an Old Old Stock .The nozzles were bent incorrectly( I had to aim them) and the passenger side nozzle tab did not fit into the curve of the sheetmetal panel . I used OPG, never again ...
Old June 15th, 2021, 11:20 AM

I have a 70 442 and bought the inner fenders from "The parts place". These don't fit either. Bought a lot of parts from the parts place while it was in process of restoring, now that I'm putting it back together I am finding about half the parts I bought from them are wrong and don't fit. If your buying parts go to Fusick, Year One or OPG it might be a few dollars more but it will be correct and fit. Even InLine has much better quality.