Odometer Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2013, 09:31 AM

Odometer Accuracy

I ordered a different speedometer gear to correct my spedometer. It is now pretty close to dead on.

Does changing the speedometer gear effect the odometer accuracy, or does that fall under calibrating the unit? I am questioning just how accurate my odometer really is.
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Changing the speedo gear shouldn't have any effect on odometer accuracy. It's only if you change gear sets and DON'T change the sleeve/gear that your speedo and odometer will be affected. LOL easy way to test it is find a friendly state police trooper......
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:29 AM

If I understand your question right, if your speedo was off, either high or low, your odometer reading would be affected by the same amount. For example, if your speedo read 10 mph high at 100 mph, that would be a 10% error, and your odometer readout would be 10% higher also.
Old September 12th, 2013, 11:22 AM

Use a GPS unit. Compare the speed it shows you're going with what your speedometer says. Put a destination in, probably less than 10 miles away so that it will read to a tenth of a mile, and as the miles count down on the GPS, compare the odometer reading to the mileage countdown.

If you don't have or can't borrow a GPS, if there is an interstate highway nearby, get on there and drive past a few mile markers. Those are accurately spaced one mile apart, and see if your odometer says you've gone a mile when the milemarkers say you've gone a mile. Better yet, see if your odometer says you've gone, say, 10 miles when the milemarkers say you've gone that far. That way, any small per-mile error in the odometer will be magnified by a factor of 10 and easier to spot.
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:20 PM

I already checked my speed using a GPS and it is less than 1 mph off at 55 mph. My question was does changing the speedo gear in the transmission have any effect on the odometer, or is that more controlled by calibrating the actual speedo or replacing the speedo head? I have not done an actual measured mile or accurately measured distance and compared it to my odometer reading.
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:24 PM

Why didn't you just check the odometer at the same time you were checking the speedometer? Shouldn't it be possible to answer your question this way? If the odometer agrees with the GPS, then the answer is no, changing the speedo gear doesn't change the odometer.

Since they're driven by the same cable (I assume), I would assume that, if the speedometer is reading correctly, so is the odometer.