New Member 1969 Cutlass S post

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2008, 02:53 PM

New Member 1969 Cutlass S post

First off, Hello, new guy here.

I have had my 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S for about a year. It is a 2 door post with a column shift auto and bucket seats. The car is factory A/C but manual drums. Being a post I love the goofy options.

I purchased it from the original family, I got the manual, protecto-plate and numerous california registration and insurance cards. Plus a dealer installed options catalog and a bunch of other junk. This is a California car, 99% rust free with an interior that is more dry rotted than any I have seen.

The motor is the 310hp 350 Rocket backed by a TH-350 I believe, block in the car is a number 2, 68-70 with number 5 heads. The major problem is that the kid that got it from his aunt pulled the motor apart to "paint it". I turned it with a wrench on the crank and it spins freely.

Purchase price..........$250!!!!! Problem, his crazy aunt lost the title about 22 years ago. I need to apply for a new one but being in Utah, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll get some pictures up soon. I'll probably update this thread with numerous questions because I am new to the Olds motors.

First Question is this.

All of the Headers advertised for the small block say they won't fit a Cutlass S model. What is the difference between say a 69 442 and my S that would not allow the headers to clear?

Dan
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by slowerthanu
First off, Hello, new guy here.
Welcome. Cool car.

First Question is this.

All of the Headers advertised for the small block say they won't fit a Cutlass S model. What is the difference between say a 69 442 and my S that would not allow the headers to clear?

Dan
Other than the engine (tall deck big block in the 442 vs. short deck 350 in the Cutlass) there is absolutely no difference between the two as far as header fitment is concerned. There seems to be an urban myth among the header manufacturers and this is variously stated as headers won't fit Cutlass Supremes or Convertibles. I must admit that this is the first time I've ever heard that they won't fit a Cutlass S.

The only difference between the Cutlass, S, Supreme, or 442 is the trim. There is NO difference in the frame, engine location, or anything substantive. The headers ARE different for the big block vs. small block, but the cars are the same.
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site Dan. I look forward to seeing progress on your car.
Old November 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Welcome to our site Dan. I look forward to seeing progress on your car.

Don't hold your breath though, it'll be slow for multiple reasons, money, time and I'm picky.

Dan
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM

Here are some bad photos.

I'm moving so pardon the horrid mess.

Here is the most serious rust I need to contend with

Old November 25th, 2008, 04:38 AM

Welcome aboard, It's nice to see another 69 guy.

Mess? What Mess?
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welcome aboard, It's nice to see another 69 guy.
You're not the only one. Good luck, 69 parts can be hard to come by and the search can be very frustrating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
oldssmall.jpg (86.3 KB, 35 views)
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:27 AM
car guy

Looks like a nice project. I dig the convo pro's.

As for picky there none us are picky about our cars around here you won't fit in.
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:11 AM
69CuttyS

Hey salayc, nice car. Can you tell me about your mirrors? I like the look.
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Nice find. Any pic's of the interior? Nice to see another 310hp SB Olds.
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by KeithA0000
Hey salayc, nice car. Can you tell me about your mirrors? I like the look.
I can't remember where the mirrors came from. Their a piece of junk. They look better in pictures. I got frustrated after two original mirrors lost their screws on the inside so temp replaced them. The idea on the car was to black out and shave emblems and trim. It's a work in progress...
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM

COOL!
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wireman134
Nice find. Any pic's of the interior? Nice to see another 310hp SB Olds.

I'll get some, the interior is the worst part of the car. Honestly, it would be a driver already if I could even comfortably sit inside it. The steering wheel is so cracked that it cut my hand straightening it out for my trailer.

After the move (new home has a separate, but small garage) I am going to decide if I want to get it running and driving or do a frame off.

I'm going to stick with stock paint and either convert the interior to black or leave it the factory greenish gold. I love the ugly late 60's early 70's colors.
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:48 PM

Great starter car. Good luck with your rebuild, ask any question you will get answers on this site
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:55 AM

My two cents on your header question. I bought a set of headers for my 69 Cutlass Holiday Coupe and they wouldn't fit, they were right up against the center console cable bracket bolted to the transmission. I bought a set of Hooker Headers and they had about 6" of clearance and fit like a dream. gl.
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by slowerthanu
The steering wheel is so cracked that it cut my hand straightening it out for my trailer.
A quick fix so you can drive it...bicycle handle bar tape. You can still get it at a real bike shop in cloth, with or without adhesive.
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:16 PM

The bicycle bar tape is a good idea (I should have thought of that as i'm a cyclist).

My biggest worry at the moment is the windshield channel. Unbeknownst to me (Because of the pretty stainless trim covering it up) this is a problem area on A body cars I hear. This car is so rust free I should have known there would be problems hiding. For the price I cannot argue or complain.

I am so in love with this car. Now I decide if I want to Repair the windshield channel to be sound and not pretty (since it will be covered) or if I want it to be both (which would be harder but more in keeping with how I do things).

I am not going to make this a frame off. The floors and frame underneath is almost factory fresh and I want a driver that I am not afraid to romp on.

Now I need to build a motor that will melt the Mickey T's on the rear.