Need power window help

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Need power window help

Has anyone replaced the window guide roller on rear power windows, (might be the same on manual) on a 64-72 A body?

Mine is a 65 conv. I'm referring to the 3 rollers that are riveted to the glass frame. The new rollers come with a "pin" that has to be "mushroomed" like a rivet.

http://www.opgi.com/p/glass/16762/191/CC28068.html
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:14 AM

You need to back up the rivet with a flat round punch, and while it is steadied by an associate, whack the other side of the rivet to mushroom it over. It isn't a difficult job, but it does take additional hands to steady everything so you don't hit the wrong area. Just make it snug enough to hold, and not break the glass. If you are not comfortable doing this, then take the glass to an auto glass shop and have them do it for you.
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:22 AM

The 72 A bodies had the 3 rollers secured to the glass with a special flat threaded "nut". The center roller is different than the 2 outers.

The roller on the regulator (as in the picture) is riveted and is replaced per the instructions in the post above. Just don't hit the plastic part.
Pull the regulator and work on it out of the car and clean and lube it up while its out. Clean out the quarter if needed.
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Thanks for jogging my memory bank.. Old age you know... There is a slightly concave round disk with a threaded center hole, that requires a special tool to turn it. There are 2 and sometimes 3 small round holes on the outer perimeter of the disk that the tool goes into. On the back side of the disk there is a rubber washer. The tool looks like a flat piece of steel with a 90 degree bend at the end. The bent part has 2 "round fingers" that go into the holes in the disk. I don't remember how you hold the other side of the "screw" that acts as an axle for the roller. Too many years since I replaced one. I was thinking about the regulator roller in the above post... thanks.. Junk.