Need Advice Fuel System

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2008, 05:23 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Need Advice Fuel System

Last time I took out my cutlass I found a gas leak. Looked under the car and found the problem. A piece of rubber fuel line was dry rotted. Went to change it and realized All the rubber is dry rotted on all the lines.
The fuel tank itself seems solid but the internal baffle is loose. I am now thinking just go ahead and replace everything. Tank, sending unit and lines. Double check the fuel pump it may have been replaced already. I have a service manuel and assembly manuel already and it looks pretty straight foward. Any tricks or things I should know about?

I'm going to drain the tank and drop it outside the push the car back into the garage.

The car is a 71 convertible 350 2bl. It has a main line and a return.

Are stainless line worth it. The orginal steel line are good but rusty and have lasted 37 years(at least that is what it looks like) The car is a driver not a show piece. I'm going to take lots of pictures and not smoke(don't actually smoke)

Thanks Larry H.
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:38 PM

I just did a redo on the tank 72 Cutlass. I had the tank flushed and relined $125. Make sure they paint it also, it come with that price. Or get new. Sending unit I replaced the filter on it $12. A crescent wrench tighten lose on the tube and a good tap and the ring came right off. The new one tightened up by hand in the same location on the tube. As long as the float works I saw no need to replace, it is only a tube and a couple wires. Fuel line from Ace hardware store was about $2 a foot. I used it on all the vent lines as well. With every thing disconnected I use the air compressor to blow out all the old lines. My car is running fine.
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:39 AM

You can get a repair kit for your fuel tank from suppliers like Summit. I belive POR 15 makes a kit. They have top notch stuff.

I plan on doing this to my Olds... someday. I will also replace all of the lines. I don't know if stainless would be worth it if you don't have a show car. I don't plan on driving my Olds daily... if it ever runs again.
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:58 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Would these repair kits fix a broken baffle in the tank?
Larry H
Old October 31st, 2008, 09:25 AM

I don't think so. I believe they are supposed to repair minor rust and corrosion. However, you might be able to have a shop fix the baffle and then restore the tank yourself.
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'm not sure that there even is a baffle inside the tank. How do you know it's loose? Are you sure you're not hearing the float from the sending unit moving around?
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:25 PM
71 cutlass convertible

The manuel has a diagram with a baffle and the trouble shooting section says if the baffle comes loose replace tank. The gauge will go back and forth about half a tank when I go around a corner and never seems to settle when I'm moving.
Larry H