My '64 F-85/Cutlass Project

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2016, 08:24 AM

My '64 F-85/Cutlass Project

Well here she is. Lovingly dubbed Wynona Rider. My 1964 F-85/Cutlass. Pretty rough around the edges, as you can see, but it's a pretty fun project. 425, TH350, 10-bolt, 4-wheel power drums, PS, originally blue on blue (see the original color on the rockers panel). Bought the car a year ago for $2,500. It would start, but I didn't dare let him keep it running for more than a few seconds. It had been sitting for a while, and looked SCARY.

The day I bought the car.

Interior was wanting.

The car was no longer in the DMV database, but luckily with the original plates and title I was able to get it back in.

The seller believed it to be a 455 based solely on the Edelbrock Performer 455, but the code indicated 425, which was just as good in my eyes.

Towed home.

There were some signs of very slight corrosion

I'm now in the process of fixing a blown head gasket. That lower, front bolt looks like it broke off in the block years ago, and is probably what allowed this to happen.

Got the bolt out yesterday! Now for a whole lot of cleaning, painting, and reassembly.

Other things done over the last year and not pictured here - bolted the seats back down, duct taped 'em back into a shape somewhat representative of a SEAT and then threw seat covers over 'em, cleaned up some surface rust out of the trunk, repainted and splatter painted, new windshield, new, larger radiator (modified my core support by welding on the lower support from a '65), got a double-snorkel air cleaner off a Toronado (which is where the engine came from)... hmm... what else... I think that covers it. I'll get some more pictures of the current state once I get the front end back together.

My immediate goal is to get the 425 back to life, and get the car to a driveable, enjoyable state. It's getting close! Long term goal is the actually rebuild the 425 (that'll be a first for me), 200-4r, 12-bolt posi, 4-wheel discs, and back to the original blue on blue. I'll keep you all posted along the way... it's going to be a long journey.
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing, its definitely a worthy project.
Old March 25th, 2016, 10:14 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Nuthin like Cali sheet metal...black plates to-boot. If you plan on any hard blasts make sure the TH2004R is beefed. And toss that chrome Tstat neck as far as you can. Love Simi!
Old March 25th, 2016, 11:15 AM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Awesome! I look forward to more updates.
Old March 25th, 2016, 11:20 AM

Yea, I was stoked to find the black plates. I was able to get down to the original 1964 sticker with a little careful razor blade work, too, so getting them back in the DMV database was pretty easy.

Mostly just a cruiser for me, but I fully agree nonetheless. I like the 200-4r for the gear ratios and comparative ease of the swap, but I plan on either finding one that's had some of those Achilles' heels beefed up, or doing so myself.
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:56 PM

Welcome to C.O. Be sure to bolt that passenger seat down before you take on any passengers. Good luck, Larry
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:54 PM

Are you sure it is blue on blue. The pic with the tow truck, looks like a chrome strip where the roof meets the quarter panel. which tells me this is a two tone car. Do you have the info off the data plate?
Also have you check the windshield and the back window for rust at the bottom at the cowl on the front and the lower panel on the rear glass.
Being that it is a hardtop it is a Cutlass. It is the "F-85" line, of which Cutlass is an up grade.
Replacing the head gasket should be no problem, just make sure the two surface are clean. Try not to get dirt in the valley area.
Looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Gene