cutlass project

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2006, 10:54 AM

cutlass project

Hi all

As the title states i'm looking for a cutlass project car. I'm not after a wreck , more a project that needs finishing off. I'm after any advice you could possibly give me because i live in the U.K and will be importing a car from the states , so i wont be able to view before shippng it over.

This will be my first olds and to be honest i know very little about them , apart from the fact IMO there about the best looking car i've ever seen ,. I'm after a early 70's / late 60's car , the one before it came sharper edged ( in 73 ?) the actuall model i'm after is the one with the prominent rear wheel arch flare , told you i dont know alot , like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...16485392QQrdZ1

is this a specific model ?

I know that cars prices are dependant on condition but what sort of price should i be looking at for a project car.

I at present have a built up 350 SBC engine , can you tell me if this engine would fit into a olds cutlass ? i have been told that as a GM motor it will.

I really appreciate any help you give me and look forward to any responses. Many thanks .Craig
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Getting There

Welcome Fin glad to have another Olds lover on here 2 other great places to bookmark are www.442.com and http://www.oldsmobility.com if that style is the one you are looking for they start in 68 and go to either a 71/72 do some research on them as I know some of the earlier years some parts are getting hard to find but most you can find repro parts for almost the whole car
Old August 17th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

That wheel arch you like was on the '68 thru '72 models, Cutlass, Cutlass S, Supreme, W31, Hurst, and 442 models/options. I would recommend that you look on places like ebay for the base models as they will be cheaper and things like the grill, headlight doors, badges, etc will be MUCH cheaper than the ir442 and W31 counterparts. Sometimes the Hurst and 442 were options and sometimes the 442 was a model in it's own right. If you find one you are interested in post it and perhaps if someone here is close we can go and look at it for you. Are there luxury or sport taxes added onto certain cars imported into the UK? That might be another reason to go with the plain vanilla version of the car. Good luck in your search and keep us posted.