keep original or change

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2011, 05:16 PM

keep original or change

I have bought a 66 cutlass holiday coupe. It has the high output 330 320 horse. It also has the jet-a-way tranny would really like to put in 350 tranny and console inside it is column shift. But debating on keeping it stock> Did they make alot of cutlasses that year with 350 tranny and console . im totally restoring the car and ive got the interior out want to decide soon
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jdiggitydogg
I have bought a 66 cutlass holiday coupe. It has the high output 330 320 horse. It also has the jet-a-way tranny would really like to put in 350 tranny and console inside it is column shift. But debating on keeping it stock> Did they make alot of cutlasses that year with 350 tranny and console . im totally restoring the car and ive got the interior out want to decide soon
Actually, Olds made exactly zero 1966 Cutlii with a TH350. That trans wasn't released until the 1969 model year. However, the TH350 is a common and excellent upgrade from the Jetaway. This is nearly a direct bolt-in swap and is easily reversible if you change your mind in the future.
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, Olds made exactly zero 1966 Cutlii with a TH350
If there were a modicum of respect which I had not yet accorded you, you have just earned it.

I would be honored to buy you a drink one day.

- Eric

ps: extra credit if you were mentally pronouncing it as a diphthong as you typed.
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:01 AM

thanks

thanks so the jetaway was the only automatic tranny in 66. i may change the tranny and leave the column shift. it has buckets from the factory but no console. is that common
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jdiggitydogg
thanks so the jetaway was the only automatic tranny in 66.
Yes, at least in the A-body cars.

i may change the tranny and leave the column shift. it has buckets from the factory but no console. is that common
Also yes. The base trans in the Cutlass line was a column shifted 3-speed manual. Buckets came by themselves. If you ordered the automatic, it came with a column shifter even with bucket seats. If you wanted a floor shifter and console, that was extra on top of the cost of the buckets.
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:25 AM

i would like to change to console have any idea of who would have everything i would need thanks for the help
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Replaced my original 2 speed in my '66 Cutlass convertible with the TH350 and added a shift kit. I love it. Coupled with a lower gear ratio, it made a very nice setup. Mine has the buckets with a console from the factory. Keep in mind though, that the TH350 is a 3 speed and the only automatic console available in '66 was for a 2 speed. So your gear indicator will be a little off in that "L" will be second gear and you will not be able to select third gear on the console. I never felt the need to pull the shifter down to the low gears, it is always in "D", but I thought you might want to know about it beforehand. If your shifter on the tree is 3 speed, I would be inclined to keep it as is so you can select all three gears on the TH350. Just my two cents. Good luck and take pics along the way... we always like seeing projects being done around here. If anything I said is incorrect... please correct me... I am not Dr. Olds but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by JSGD1966
If anything I said is incorrect... please correct me...
OK, since you asked nicely...

Shiftworks sells the shift quadrant and gear indicator plate for the console to convert the factory two speed floor shifter to a three speed or even four speed shifter.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:37 AM

Ok just my 2 cents since Im in the middle of the same decision.. Why not an overdrive the 2004r trans is a great trans for these cars with this horsepower and there isnt much more work to installing them. I love th350's but have been considering driving the car long distances and want to get some type of fuel mileage... Any thoughts on this conversion?