I "hesitate" to ask...

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2009, 05:08 AM

I "hesitate" to ask...

My 65 cutlass hesitates when I punch the gas. This lasts for about 20 minutes of the initial drive. Then it's OK. I was told that this probably means it needs a carb rebuild. I thought I'd ask the pros before I do it. Where would you start?
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:06 AM

If your choke is not working properly it could cause this condition. 20 minutes though is a long time for an engine to warm.
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:25 AM

When was the last time the carburetor was rebuilt? I rebuild the carburetor on every older car I buy just as a tune up item. A rebuild kit is less than $20.
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:31 AM

Olds64 I'm a mechanic wannabe. How tough is it to rebuild the carb? Where do you get your rebuild kit?
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM
Shoveling Snow

Check with Sparkys carbs he rebuilt mine and I was very impressed with his service and support of his repairs.

http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM

You can have the carburetor rebuilt by someone locally, send it to someone on the web, or rebuild it yourself. Danny Sarvis is a member here. He rebuilds Quadrajets and he is about the best person in existence to do it. Plus his prices are really great. If you use our search function on his name you will find his contact info. I can't remember his username.

If you decide to do it yourself all you have to do is go to the auto parts store to get a rebuild kit. It can be a bit overwhelming if you have never done it before but you can always ask a buddy to help. If you have a friend that is a car guru I suggest rebuilding it with his help. It will be fun and a good learning experience.

Finally, I am sure there is a shop close to you that can rebuild it. Look in your phone book for small engine repair shops or lawn mower repair shops. Alot of these technicians do carb rebuilds on the side. At least that is my experience.