The Hunt is Over

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:21 PM

The Hunt is Over

After several years of searching I finally did it. I am the proud owner of a 1968 OLDS Cutlass S convertible. I have the title and the car is on it's way to New Jersey from New Mexico! Hoping it gets here in one piece I am the 3rd owner. Car was assembled in Fremont CA and has spent it's life in New Mexico. It is Willow Gold with a Ivory interior and white convertible top. It has AC, PS, and power drum brakes. Dog dish hubcaps and single exhaust to boot. Not much of a looker....yet. The car seems fairly original(I'll have more info once it gets here). It has been repainted once and the interior has been redone.
I will have lot's of questions that I am hoping the experts can help me with.
My first order of business will be the brakes though. I'm going to replace the shoes, springs, hoses and cylinders to start. Some of the cylinders appear to be seeping and I don't like to mess around with brakes not working properly. Having done research on what's out there brake wise I may give the brake in box from musclecarbrakes.com(praisedynobrake) a try. From what I could find most people seem to like them.

I will have some questions regarding rims/tires and dual exhaust but will start a new post for that stuff

Looking forward to getting my hands dirty and having some fun. Joe
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:44 PM

Welcome, I am in central NJ, my name is Joe, and am trying to sell a 68 Cutlass conv. I have a feeling the NM car is more rust free than this one...Make sure ya post some pictures!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:55 PM

sounds like a fun project. Post some pictures when you get her home.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:57 PM
My 73HO

Joe(Oldsmaniac) , Southern NJ here! Whats the low down on your 68 vert? Pics? price?

Last edited by Hurstolds1973; December 22nd, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...conv-sale.html
Old January 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM

You'll love that car I had one for years back in the late seventies. You can find all the brake parts at the local parts store for that year of car and they will be much cheaper than any of those resto places. Just went through this with a 65 Cutlass I picked up a couple of months ago. I got all my parts a the local OReilly/Schucks store they had everything in stock.
Old January 1st, 2011, 04:42 PM

please rethink the brake in a box For the money you can get better in my opinion I put them on my 66 lemans and i cant say im impressed with them . The springs look nice and the parts seem nice but just not all that For the money I think you could put disks on it and would be way a head the only thing Is I dont have power breaks manual drums all the way around you might have better luck with power drums but for the money I would stick to opgi has some
gm shoes and drums and springs and things ca be got from either mcb or others i have had one of the new cylinders leak on me with less than 4000
miles and 12 months on them Hope it gets to you quick and in one piece . Have you seen it yet or was it a internet deal?

Last edited by firefrost gold; January 1st, 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:37 AM

Many congrats, Joe!!
Yes, post pics when she arrives.
Rockauto will prolly be your best source for brake and chassis parts.
Hope delivery is smooth and easy!!
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
please rethink the brake in a box For the money you can get better in my opinion I put them on my 66 lemans and i cant say im impressed with them . The springs look nice and the parts seem nice but just not all that For the money I think you could put disks on it and would be way a head the only thing Is I dont have power breaks manual drums all the way around you might have better luck with power drums but for the money I would stick to opgi has some
gm shoes and drums and springs and things ca be got from either mcb or others i have had one of the new cylinders leak on me with less than 4000
miles and 12 months on them Hope it gets to you quick and in one piece . Have you seen it yet or was it a internet deal?
Thanks for the info. I did already order them though. They had a special last month for 1/2 price for the rear brakes if you ordered both front and rear. I was just going to order the shoes but with the special it ended up costing and extra $40 for the cylinders and springs. Hopefully they won't leak. I'll report back on how they work out. Hopefully they will do better with the power brakes. I spoke to John the owner for a while. Seems like a good guy. He used to work in the engineering dept at Raybestos before opening his own business.
At the moment I am trying to find a front hub assembly to change from the one piece to the 2 piece front drum/hub. The hub assembly is GM part# 3887867. Can't seem to find anything aftermarket. Any suggestions would be appreciated...Joe
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Many congrats, Joe!!
Yes, post pics when she arrives.
Rockauto will prolly be your best source for brake and chassis parts.
Hope delivery is smooth and easy!!
Thanks Rob! It arrived late Weds. It was as dirty as could be-could not see out the windshield! The only damage was the antenna was broke, but it could have been broken before they picked it up. I believe it is just one of the spring loaded replacement ones. It would not start once they loaded it on the carrier, luckily they did not have to move it. To make a long story short, the started bushing were wiped out and the starter was shorting against the field coils. I had a new battery in the garage and swapped it out while the car was on the carrier and was able to get it to start.

I'll post some pics soon. Joe