How do you remove the rear seat from a '65 Cutlass?

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2015, 02:17 AM

How do you remove the rear seat from a '65 Cutlass?

I need to remove the rear seat (vertical & horizontal squabs) to run some new cables and fit a full length backing board that will hold the rear amplifier, 2.5 farad capacitor etc.The rear seat on old cars that I have previously worked on came out easily by just pulling up on the lower part but my Cutlass's seat doesn't move and I can't see how it is fixed in place.
Similarly looking at the rear of the seat from inside the boot I can't see any fixings,hangers etc holding the seat back in place.The area behind the supporting metalwork has some of that shiny aluminium type insulation between it and the seat back itself but I was still expecting to find some sort of fixings in evidence but no...
BTW the idea of using a backing board was for 2 reasons, the first being that I should be able to use existing holes and not have to drill a bunch of new ones in the car's rear seat support framework.Secondly the plan is to mount all of the gear on the board and then hang it onto new bolts minimizing the time grovelling around in the back of the boot.Standing the board off about 40mm will mean almost all wiring can be hidden so it will look pretty slick - I hope.
Hopefully some of you Cutlass guys will have had to remove the rear seat at some stage, most likely during a restoration. I look forward to getting a few tips on how to do it without damaging anything!
Old March 15th, 2015, 05:32 AM

You need to push the bottom of the seat straight back towards the rear of the car then lift up. It can put up a little fight sometimes but they do come out there is a hook on each side.
Old March 15th, 2015, 05:51 AM

Here's an old thread with pictures of the hooks underneath the rear seat. The photos are of a 1967, but the hooks should be the same or very similar. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...t-windows.html
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Here's an old thread with pictures of the hooks underneath the rear seat. The photos are of a 1967, but the hooks should be the same or very similar. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...t-windows.html
Thanks John, that's great.I should have thought of looking at previous posts because if I am having a problem you can bet a thousand other people have had the same problem!Looking at how the seats fit into the hooks there was no way I was ever going to get them out doing what I was doing.
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 66trakpak
You need to push the bottom of the seat straight back towards the rear of the car then lift up. It can put up a little fight sometimes but they do come out there is a hook on each side.
Thanks for your response you were dead right.John (2blu442) provided a link to a post that shows photos of the hooks and how they fit.
Old March 15th, 2015, 09:09 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

yeh get a fat boys knee into it
Old March 15th, 2015, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by lunaboy
yeh get a fat boys knee into it
Ha,ha like that one.Is this when I get to phone a larger sized friend? Real PC reply!