How do these shorty headers look for a 350?

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2011, 04:18 PM

How do these shorty headers look for a 350?

Trying to weigh out my options here on converting my current single exhaust into a dual setup. I want to be able to breathe after I get my new Edelbrock intake/carb installed and convert over to HEI. My 68 Cutlass Supreme has a single exhaust with the crossover. The local muffler shop quoted me $600 to build a complete 2.5" dual exhaust. That is a bit more than I want to spend considering I was originally going to just add on the LH side. After looking into headers, I dont want to risk having any shop run into fitting issues so I am considering getting a set of shorty headers. Ive seen the Sanderson O351 and Hedman options but they are still a bit pricey for what I am looking to spend here.

Doing some searches I found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/305-350-CID-...-/170615730124

They run around $120 for the set but I am not sure about the fitting and quality? Anyone have any experience with these? They have seemed to sold quite a bit with decent feedback.

My other option is to buy a block off plate, have them make a custom front pipe, buy a muffer and a prebent walker LH tail pipe and that already is running around $300. Doesnt seem worth it going that route. Thanks!
Old October 26th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Those are enticing for a budget solution. The port shape, especially the center ports concerns me. Might work on Ebrock or ProComp heads but far from optimal on a factory head config.

Material "sounds" good, probably easy install, O2 bung, look nice.
Old October 26th, 2011, 04:57 PM

I am pretty sure those are Chevy 350 headers and wont work on an Olds engine.
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I am pretty sure those are Chevy 350 headers and wont work on an Olds engine.
Your correct those are chevy headers and they will not work
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:53 PM

I called them after the post and they told me it was for a Chevy. I asked by they put it as fits Cutlass on ebay and the guy says "Oh because sometimes people put Chevy motors in Olds"...... -_-

Anyway, do you guys have a recommendation on my cheapest option on converting from stock single to dual without breaking the bank. This is my temp fix til I redo everything down the road including full length headers. The shortys have my attention but the price doesn't. Thanks
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:17 PM

I have the following.

1405 Edelbrock Carb
Edelbrock Performer Manifold
HEI Ignition from start to finish.
And, Wait for it, ---> Factory Single Exhaust

My olds still burns rubber. And can probably smoke any car in my area. I say if you're worried about a cheaper option. Leave the exhaust you have and don't bother with dual.

If it works great, then why change it?

Unless it's full of holes and crappy. That's another story.
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
I called them after the post and they told me it was for a Chevy. I asked by they put it as fits Cutlass on ebay and the guy says "Oh because sometimes people put Chevy motors in Olds"...... -_-

Anyway, do you guys have a recommendation on my cheapest option on converting from stock single to dual without breaking the bank. This is my temp fix til I redo everything down the road including full length headers. The shortys have my attention but the price doesn't. Thanks
The easiest thing to do is run factory style dual exhaust. You already have the correct exhaust manifolds. You just need to cap the crossover port on the passenger side manifold and work from the other outlets just like factory.
Old October 26th, 2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
I have the following.

1405 Edelbrock Carb

My olds still burns rubber. And can probably smoke any car in my area. I say if you're worried about a cheaper option. Leave the exhaust you have and don't bother with dual.

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
I have the following.

1405 Edelbrock Carb

Hey Tony,

I have a
Edelbrock 1406
Edelbrock 3711 Performer Intake
Pertronix Ignitor/Mallory 50k Coil/Mallory Cap/MSD Super Condenser Wires

Getting it all installed over the weekend. The single exhaust isnt bad but I know there would be a big difference if I added the LH side. When I got the car 2 years ago the muffler and tailpipe were rotten so I ordered a prebent Walker pipe and a Thrush Welded muffler and got them installed. It sounds nice but it just doesnt seem right.
Old October 26th, 2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
The easiest thing to do is run factory style dual exhaust. You already have the correct exhaust manifolds. You just need to cap the crossover port on the passenger side manifold and work from the other outlets just like factory.
The block off is $32 on ebay and I can get a prebent LH tail pipe + muffler for $70. Local shop wants to charge me $200 to make a left front pipe and to weld everything together. So its looking like $300. Walker makes a front pipe for $50 but for some reason they only make it for the right side.

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/prt,9,45358
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
Hey Tony,

I have a
Edelbrock 1406
Edelbrock 3711 Performer Intake
Pertronix Ignitor/Mallory 50k Coil/Mallory Cap/MSD Super Condenser Wires

Getting it all installed over the weekend. The single exhaust isnt bad but I know there would be a big difference if I added the LH side. When I got the car 2 years ago the muffler and tailpipe were rotten so I ordered a prebent Walker pipe and a Thrush Welded muffler and got them installed. It sounds nice but it just doesnt seem right.
Yeah that's exactly what I did, changed the muffler and tailpipe to a walker type setup.

I've played around with the idea of putting in headers and a sexy exhaust system. If I were to do it, I would probably go stock dual system from the parts place or something so i can use my stock manifolds.

I'm a strong believer in preserving old parts, so I'll probably drive mine t'ill it gets a hole, then change out for factory duals.