Old October 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM

Shorty headers

has anyone used these? Also wondering if the coating is worth it

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Oldsmobile-455/
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
has anyone used these? Also wondering if the coating is worth it

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Oldsmobile-455/
I haven't used Sanderson's but if they have a 3/8" flange they are similar to my Doug Thorley's. Very well built. I wish I had gone for the ceramic coating...it doesn't turn colors and will stand up to all the heat you can give it. I priced these Sanderson's with the coating just now, I have to say...for the $150 they want to coat them...it is well worth it.

I priced ceramic coating for my Doug Thorley's and they wanted $300 to coat them. Go for it now is my vote!
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Texas Jim

I just took the stock "shorty headers" off my 'Vette. I know that they're good f/ tight spots, but they don't perform/flow like a long tube header does. Before I spent money on a "shorty header," I'd see how much the flow difference is between the stock manifold and the shorty. Is it worth spending your money on a shorty header? I'm by no means bad-mouthing the shorty, but f/ the money, I'd go w/ the long tube.
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Long tube is a fitment problem in my 48 with the X frame. If there was some way I could borrow a set of long tubes for a cutless and test fit I would but I'm not going to buy a set just to test. The shorties do flow some what better then the W/Z headers I've been told but don't know for sure.
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by citcapp
Long tube is a fitment problem in my 48 with the X frame. If there was some way I could borrow a set of long tubes for a cutless and test fit I would but I'm not going to buy a set just to test. The shorties do flow some what better then the W/Z headers I've been told but don't know for sure.
I have a set of Hedman's that came with my 65 Cutlass you could borrow.
let me know.
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:08 PM

I've been look at the Sanderson shorties too... I figure they have to be better than the factory logs & without the hassle of long tubes...

My question : Do you have to weld up (or do the clip/insert thing to) the center exhaust port divider in the head for these ? Or do the Sandersons not need this ?
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:53 PM

I used "Hedman" shorty headers on my '68 Cutlass 350. Fit is great and no problems on the install. I found mine on craigslist, and they are painted. I'm sure you can get them coated.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-58160/
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM

Well, I can't find a listing for the 455. It looks like to me they just don't have OLDS big block.

Gene
Old October 22nd, 2011, 05:57 AM

what did you think of those headers from a performance standpoint 64rocket? i've been debating the short vs long, i'm sure that they are a great improvement over the factory single exhaust set up that i have now but i wonder if they give up much to full length headers....
Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:18 AM

The new Popular Hot Rodding (Nov) has a nice article on headers explaining, pipe diameter, pipe length, collectors etc. By far the long tube header will produce more power and torque over a shorty one but vs. log manifolds I have no idea. I would assume the shorty headers would be better than the log manifold because each individual pipe is helping scavenge the next pipe through the collector rather than dumping it into a common plenum. How much of a difference is the real question. Long vs. short is substantial but shorty vs. log, who knows.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:58 PM

Big D
It is hard to say. The car runs and accelerates much better. But I had stock manifolds and single exhaust. I did the headers and 2.5 duals all the way back both at one shot. Just what the headers did alone is hard to say. It has been a major improvement on my bone stock 350 with 2 barrel carb.

I like the shorty ones for the ground clearance and this car is just an every day driver. No real performance. The only thing I wish was they would have been more swept back. They dump straight down and you need a short 90* bend right off the header. Other than that, they are great. If your going for performance, I would say the long ones. If it is going to be a once in awhile run, and most of the time street, I say the short ones. Long ones produce power mostly in the upper RPM's. A street car probably will never notice the difference.

Gene

Last edited by 64Rocket; October 23rd, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:10 AM

thanks for the info, sounds like my situation except my 350 is a 4bbl. i might have to give a set of shortys a try, like you said, it'll be a big improvement over the factory logs and single exhaust that i'm running now... i wonder if the sandersons dump straight down too...
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:03 AM

I've done the measuring and the long ones won't fit so I am going with the Sandersons. I will post how the install turns out. I am thinking I can us two 45 degree close set bends rather the 1-90 degree bend to help negate the restriction.