Frame Rust

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Frame Rust

Last edited by UCF72Cutlass; October 3rd, 2008 at 03:10 AM.
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:45 PM

Frame Rust

What's your location? I've got some extra frames but shipping very far would be difficult/expensive. John
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Id really like to not have to get another frame. Any other ideas? Thank you though.
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:08 PM

Replacing the frame is really the only correct way to fix the problem. I have seen frames patched and welded, but never on a unit with damage that extensive. This is not a place where you are patching. I would be talking to 2 blue if I were you. swapping a frame is not a small job, but it isn't like you are completely rebuilding the car. sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:18 PM

its actually about 2-3 inch section. pictures makes it look huge. id like to find a repair similar to this in this link. http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...air/index.html

Last edited by UCF72Cutlass; September 26th, 2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:38 PM

That spans the entire width of the frame no? I am assuming the rust has chewed up the sides of the frame. I'm not telling you what to do with your car, but I would look int replacing that frame in the future if it were mine. It's your car and your choice. Eventually it will fail, and if that is where I think it is, you are going to be facing a chocolate mess when it happens. If you don't use the car a lot and not in winter at all it may last a while, but no guaranties.
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:42 PM

No worries. I apperciate your opinion and i not shutting it down or anything. I just rather not do a frame off. The car will be garage kept and I live in florida so there is not really a "winter".
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM

A patch may work. But if I were to do it I would find a GOOD fab shop to do the work. Shop around and get referrals. A good fabricator could probably fix it but personally I'd start looking for a frame. What kind of shape is the rest of the car in. As I understand there is a lot of salt in the air or something along the coast, and cars tend to rot in Florida because of it and the humidity. I havent spent much time down there so don't know.
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:57 PM

the rest of the cas is in ok shape im 21 now i dont see it being done till about about 28 : )
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:00 PM

If the car is going to be around, and is a long term project, I'd consider the frame replacement at some point in the future. Food for thought.
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:09 PM

hmmm. what price ranges and pros and cons would each fix run me. patch work vs frame replacement
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:36 PM

That is hard to guess, talk to 2blue about one of his frames. He is honest and genuinely interested in these things and trying to save them. Then shop around for a fab shop that is reputable and check for prices. IMHO the repair is at best temporary, but it is just that, my opinion. I'm not familiar with Florida so could not recommend any one to you so can not offer any help finding a shop to do the work.
Old September 26th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Just A BaBy {:

i have the same problem with my 87 cutlass ? sooo i cant just cut it out an weld a other 1 in its place?
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

easy to be dead.... There are hundreds of thousands of your cutlasses left. I'd just get a better one and use yours for parts. I can find you another in a day or 2 probably if you are interested in a frame or car swap.

UFC... Sorry for your problem. You should just get a better cutlass. I'm willing to bet if you took yours apart and sandblasted everything you would be very disappointed. ANYTHING can be saved... no doubt about that. Your budget will be the deciding factor on that. If you are reluctant to rip the thing to shreds or try fixing it yourself, chances are anyone who fixes it for you will charge a lot of money. By the time you pay all the bills to make it right, you'll be 3/4 of the way to a better car anyway.
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
car guy

If its that bad there it will be almost as bad in several other places. They just have not busted through yet. You need a frame.

-Richard
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Just A BaBy {:

Wink

[quote=J-(Chicago);45155]easy to be dead.... There are hundreds of thousands of your cutlasses left. I'd just get a better one and use yours for parts. I can find you another in a day or 2 probably if you are interested in a frame or car swap.

/quote]

yea i am looking for A nice cutlass salon! an i am going to keep this 1 as my every day car!
Old September 28th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Alb

I had the same problem with my 69 cutlass.I replaced the frame. I bought it from a local guy.I.E 76 miles from me. I had it sand blasted and powder coated. The price of the frame and powder coating was under a grand. If you are going to keep the car, that's what I would do. Don't take a chance on the rest going bad .
Alb
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:09 AM

[quote=easytobedead;45242

yea i am looking for A nice cutlass salon! an i am going to keep this 1 as my every day car![/quote]

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...urst-olds.html

How about a hurst/olds?
Old September 28th, 2008, 09:10 AM

So if I purchase a frame, how much will replacing the old with the new one run me for labor?
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by UCF72Cutlass
So if I purchase a frame, how much will replacing the old with the new one run me for labor?

Your talking thousands. All the drive train will have to be removed. It will be at least a couple grand and thats probably a low ball price. Then you have to redo the front suspension unless all the parts are good or you get a rolling chassis. I agree about the patching. Thats a scarry place where the rear control arm connects. That could be dangerous to drive too. A big dip or pothole could maybe take it out. The body would have to come off the the frame to patch it anyway to be safe from a fire to the cabin pluss all the weight stress and keep it from shifting. And once you start hacking on the frame who knows how bad that area really is then your stuck with a car in the spot you started on it unless you are in your own garage.

Last edited by 68/70 Cutlass; September 28th, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:31 PM

im screwed : (
Old September 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM

That depends. If you can get a rolling chassis it is not a big deal to move the parts over to the "new" frame. Do you have any mechanical aptitude? Get some friends over for a week end beer fest for work type deal. If you are paying attention to how stuff is put together, most of it can be done in assemblies. You will need a hoist, stands and a few other more expensive items if you are entirely new to this stuff, but most of it can be done with hand tools. Look around and see what you can find. you might find a much nicer "parts" car than the one you have now. Just don't get in too big a hurry and get in over your head. Obviously having the toys would make things a lot easier but you should be able to get'r'done. This isn't your daily driver is it?
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:51 PM

nope it is not my daily driver. im not rich but i dont see money as an issue in saving it. ive just bought a kia with very low miles when i can afford something around three times the payment just so i can pour money in to this baby and i also dont see time as an issue since i dont mind taking 5-7 years in what i'd call it "done". my only problems are very little mechanical ability when it comes to big jobs and space. i dont want her to have to die : ( Anybody in the Orlando area or know of a place in the area I could take it to get looked at?
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:20 AM

I dont know much about these cars but does anyone know if a frame from a 69 would work here???
If it does then buy this one and do a swap.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...is-engine.html
Old September 30th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Yes as long as the frame is a two door. 112" wb four door was 116" wb
Old September 30th, 2008, 05:14 PM

The thing that is really sad about this is that I just cut one of these up. All that was really wrong about it was the two body mount holes by under the cowl had coroded out about an inch in diamiter larger than they should have been. I'd have given it to him if he were willing to come and get it. Would have been a minor and easily hidden repair, but I didn't know anybody who needed one