Firewall to core support braces.

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2008, 05:30 PM

Firewall to core support braces.

Hello everyone,
I am looking for the 2 long braces that go from the firewall to the core support as I am putting in a 455 and would like all the strength I can get. Does anyone know what they are called and where I can get them?
Thanks!
They run from the center of the firewall to the outer corners of the core support.
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:37 PM

Hello again,
This is a 72 Cutlass.
Thanks again!
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Registered

Those are called "Shroud to Tie Bar Braces" according to my '71 assembly manual, section 11, page 146. I have a '71 Vista Cruiser and they have them with either size engine, so another source if you need it.

Allan
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I have a 72 Cutlass also. Not sure why you need to have these braces because I'm pretty sure they didn't come standard with the A Body in 72. Mine never had em. Heck, Dad and I tried to tell this stupid deer not to run in front of the car one morning but it did anyway. So we smoked that puppy. Minor damage to the front fender and stone shield, but there was never any issues with the front clip not being strong enough.

I had these braces on my 78 Cadillac Coupe de Ville. But I think that all Caddies came with them, even up to the eighties?? I scrounged some out of the boneyard and installed them on my 83 regency brougham just for something to do. Later I found out it just makes changing the battery or jumper cables a real pain in the a#%!

Does anyone on this site know whether the braces are needed?? or whether they are an option that would benefit the car?? Now I'm really curious. If they had em in 71, why not 72???
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
I have a 72 Cutlass also. Not sure why you need to have these braces because I'm pretty sure they didn't come standard with the A Body in 72.
I've seen them on 71-72 Vista Cruisers.
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:27 PM

I wouldn't think those braces would be needed since your car orignially had the option of having a 455 installed. Then again, were those installed with the 455 or were they just put in *****-nilly?
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:29 PM
Past Administrator

Different year for sure, but my '76 Cutlass has them, I hate 'em.
Old July 31st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Registered

They (442's) also had the special braces at the back of the fenders. The hood and fender braces must be to keep the front end sheet metal from moving too much. Vistas and 442's were both Lansing built, some plants had different methods, look at all the notes in the assembly manuals. I still can't figure why the Vista Cruisers have them, boxed frame on top of it, my best guess is they prevent front end flexing because the rest was so ridgid, especially pulling a trailer, who knows? Didn't they used to call those Monte Carle braces?, or are those side to side? They don't really get in the way of the battery, I can get mine in and out no problem, you do have to tuck the air cleaner under them though, they come right off with 2 bolts in any case. The Vista used them with the high side side up, flat end is even with the bottom, on a 442 they were reversed, clearance for the OAI hood maybe? The biggest problem I had with them was trying not to chip the paint working on stuff, got a couple of pieces of foam pipe insulation and covered them, problem solved.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; July 31st, 2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old July 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I bought a 72 Cutlass parts car with a 455, AT, posi, boxed rear control arms and the braces...there must have been some significance or use other than 442's...

C.J.

Originally Posted by Allan R
I have a 72 Cutlass also. Not sure why you need to have these braces because I'm pretty sure they didn't come standard with the A Body in 72. Mine never had em. Heck, Dad and I tried to tell this stupid deer not to run in front of the car one morning but it did anyway. So we smoked that puppy. Minor damage to the front fender and stone shield, but there was never any issues with the front clip not being strong enough.

I had these braces on my 78 Cadillac Coupe de Ville. But I think that all Caddies came with them, even up to the eighties?? I scrounged some out of the boneyard and installed them on my 83 regency brougham just for something to do. Later I found out it just makes changing the battery or jumper cables a real pain in the a#%!

Does anyone on this site know whether the braces are needed?? or whether they are an option that would benefit the car?? Now I'm really curious. If they had em in 71, why not 72???