dirty fuses

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2015, 06:03 PM

dirty fuses

i think i found some of my problems my fuse box is all rusty i think i need to scrape all the contacts it will take awhile but o well it keeps me out of trouble idle hands and all that.
Old July 17th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A Dremel with a tiny wire wheel can work wonders on those, just be sure to wear eye protection, as those tiny bits of wire really fly!

- Eric
Old July 17th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Some electronic contact cleaner with an acid swabbing brush with the bristles cut to 1/4 inch long works great also.
Old July 17th, 2015, 11:27 PM

Neat, not sure what year car you're dealing with but my '67 fuse block issue may be interesting?

Various circuits were having intermittent cut outs. Pressing on the fuses often healed the issue. I, also concerned about corrosion, discovered the brass clips that grip the fuse were clean but loose! Seems the clips are riveted to the rear block "bus bars" now loose making poor connections. I can't think of a good fix to tighten these mechanical rivet points? Soldering looks also sketchy. The plan is - all circuits will move over to an after-market block with blade fuses. Ugh, old -timey parts can be no fun and gotta go.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; July 17th, 2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old July 18th, 2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles
Neat, not sure what year car you're dealing with but my '67 fuse block issue may be interesting?

Various circuits were having intermittent cut outs. Pressing on the fuses often healed the issue. I, also concerned about corrosion, discovered the brass clips that grip the fuse were clean but loose! Seems the clips are riveted to the rear block "bus bars" now loose making poor connections. I can't think of a good fix to tighten these mechanical rivet points? Soldering looks also sketchy. The plan is - all circuits will move over to an after-market block with blade fuses. Ugh, old -timey parts can be no fun and gotta go.
I would think that you could solder the small rivet joint successfully if you can get it clean. Media blasting should do the trick.
Old July 18th, 2015, 08:53 AM

^ I spotted another of the posters threads and it's an 80's car which wouldn't have the rivet issue.

In my case, all cleaning and soldering would have to be performed on the block where it's hardwired under the dash. Tricky but maybe doable? I'm chucking the block to get newer fuses and gain spare taps. Some of the small sizes of the glass style are getting hard to find. Standard length and mini-standard are still out there but my block has two or more odd sized buggers I've never seen.
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles
^ I spotted another of the posters threads and it's an 80's car which wouldn't have the rivet issue.

In my case, all cleaning and soldering would have to be performed on the block where it's hardwired under the dash. Tricky but maybe doable? I'm chucking the block to get newer fuses and gain spare taps. Some of the small sizes of the glass style are getting hard to find. Standard length and mini-standard are still out there but my block has two or more odd sized buggers I've never seen.
I don't think the fuse block is hardwired, just a PITA to unhook all of the wires (and then put them all back where they belong........
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:41 PM

thanks i think my father has a dremel tool,i will try that tomorow. the wires look fine,the only thing that got hot was the wiper switch and the plug in for the wiper motor. is there any way to bench test the wiper motor,hopefully i won't have to replace it.my car is a 1980 cutlass calais.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 11:07 AM

wiper motor works it is just a bad switch. man that wiper is a pain to get out,i might have to get it out again when i took it out last time i took the cover off and a piece of plastic fell out i think it was part of the park switch i guess it is off to pull and save for parts.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:09 AM

got the switch and the wipers work just won't park i think someone tried to use it when the wipers where frozen to the windsheild.

Last edited by neatolds; September 2nd, 2015 at 06:10 AM. Reason: more info
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There's an adjustment for that (or sometimes the park piece that fits into the nylon gear is just gummed up).

You need to read the entire section on the 2-speed depressed-park wipers in the FBM (or the CSM in earlier years) and go through its checking procedure - its complicated but manageable.

- Eric
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:23 AM

when i took the cover off a piece of plastic fell out and the slot it fit in was melted a little.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Hmmmmm...

When you read the section, you will see what those parts are, and whether it can be fixed, but it sounds to me like a new wiper motor is in order.

- Eric
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:56 AM

thats what i figured i read the section and saw a youtube video very in formative. i will buy a used one at the wrecking yard until i save up the money for a new one.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 07:01 AM

now if i can just fix the radio,the radio itself works just no power,i checked the fuse it's fine i think the socket for the fuse is bad.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No need to get a new one of you can find one in the junkyard.

- Eric
Old September 2nd, 2015, 09:16 AM

i will just scrape the fuse socket and try that.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 09:32 AM

There are many variations in wiper motor and attached pump.

Depending on your skill set, you may be much better off cleaning and fixing what you have, which fits right in every way. I could have done that on the '66 442- it had dirt and broken wire- in about 3 hrs. But, Noooooooo, the owner buys a "new" one. Pump doesn't fit, wiring differs.... three DAYS to work out all the bugs for one that ain't even correct. *sigh*
Old September 2nd, 2015, 09:45 AM

i got the wiper to work and the pump and it even parks sometimes.