Decisions, Decisions...

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:29 PM

Question Decisions, Decisions...

So after firing up the 330 and letting it idle for a while I drove around the block to blow some cobb webs off (literally). I had previously thought I had a lifter knock noise but a neighbor of mine thinks its more likely to be a rod knock since its coming from lower in the engine. Not what I wanted to hear. So now I need to decide how to proceed.

1. My neighbors suggestion was to replace my oil with straight 30 or 40 weight and keep driving it until it gives up.
2. I'd rather pull the 330 and rebuild it before I do any damage to the block (just guessing that it could cause some damage). As far as I know, the current 330 engine is the original, the mileage on the odometer reads 48K so I'm not sure why there would be a rod knock with that mileage. Other than the noise the engine feels pretty strong. When all four barrels are open it does move pretty good.
3. I also have the ability to get a very cheap disassembled 455 and drop that in for a bigger bang for my buck. Problem being the assembly part, since I wouldn't even consider myself and backyard mechanic.

The plan for the car is to make a fun weekend cruiser for my wife and kids, and a streetable rod to give the lightweight imports a run for their money. On a track of course. I also plan to restore the A/C once the engine is sorted out.

My biggest constraint is money but time is also a factor and would like to have a good running vehicle by new years.

I know a few of you have been down this road before and I've read quite a few threads of what people did so I'm still on the fence. Feel free to offer up opinions or thoughts, I'm guessing that in the end I'll have a 455 in my garage and spend a few hours each night to research the assembly of the motor and piece it back together.
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:41 PM

I say rebuild the 330 whatever you do with the 455. That steel crank can't be easily replaced and it makes for a solid foundation to start with.

If the 455 just needs to be assembled then I would go down that road for sure and do a proper rebuild on the 330. At that time you can decide if you want to keep the 455 and sell the 330, or vice versa.

FYI....if you think that 330 moves out pretty good, then oh boy do you have a wake up call coming with the 455.

Last edited by svnt442; September 15th, 2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old September 15th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You've got to get a better handle on the sound.

Rod knocks and lifter ticks sound very different, and can seldom be confused with one another. You should have someone else who is experienced listen to it, and perhaps help you pull the valve covers and maybe the intake manifold, then make a decision based on that - you may just have a minor worn rocker for all you know.

- Eric
Old September 15th, 2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by ACID64
the mileage on the odometer reads 48K
Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's not 148K?

Also, what are the credentials of your neighbor in this regard? You seem to be deferring to everything he says. I agree with Eric in that another opinion or two is needed before making any significant decisions.
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:08 AM

Yeah, the neighbor is a trained tech, but mostly works on diesels. I trust his opinion up to a certain point, I have another mechanic buddy look at it just for a second opinion.

Jaunty, it could be 148K but the interior I don't think would look as nice. Maybe it had been redone before. Anyway to truly tell?
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ACID64
it could be 148K but the interior I don't think would look as nice. Maybe it had been redone before. Anyway to truly tell?
An interior can be redone.

There is no real good way to tell a car's mileage, although you would expect that a car with 148K would show more wear on the mechanical parts than one with 48K. But even a car with 48K has some miles on it, so you may never know for sure.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Administrator

It's 47 years old! Thats a long time even with the low miles! I would be willing to bet it needs more work than you think. If you were going to rebuild the motor, it would be better to do it now than wait for it to grenade!

X ??? to get another opinion on the noise! Rod knocks are tremendously different than valvetrain noise!
Old October 11th, 2011, 09:37 PM

Had my mechanic buddy take a look, definitely a rod knock and not a valve tap. So I've purchased that 455 and it will soon be transferred over to my buddies garage for the assembly.

Can anyone confirm that the 455 will bolt up to the 330's 2 speed Jetaway? Now I'm thinking there are more hidden costs with this swap than I initially thought. I'm guessing I'll need, different engine mounts, some type of 445 exhaust manifold, possibly larger radiator, starter, alternator.
Old October 11th, 2011, 09:48 PM

you sound just like me by getting way ahead of yourself!

find out what the noise is first. it could be a cheap quick fix.

your asking for answers to problems you may not even have to worry about
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Administrator

The Jetaway should bolt up, and you can use the same converter! All the motor mounts are the same, including the trans mount.

You may or may not have to change your radiator! I would fire it up and see if it gets hot first!

Exhaust manifolds need replaced or a cheapy pair of headers! Go with a 2 1/4 exhaust minimum!

I'm not sure about accessory brackets, p/s, a/c, and alt.
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:47 AM

if you want to keep that engine definitely rebuild it!! if your engine throws a rod it could put a hole in the block and make it worthless! (speaking from experience plus my dad is a mechanic)
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The Jetaway should bolt up, and you can use the same converter! All the motor mounts are the same, including the trans mount.

You may or may not have to change your radiator! I would fire it up and see if it gets hot first!

Exhaust manifolds need replaced or a cheapy pair of headers! Go with a 2 1/4 exhaust minimum!

I'm not sure about accessory brackets, p/s, a/c, and alt.
Great, good to know. Someone said with the Jetaway the RPMs might get too high on the freeway. Can't imagine it would be too high at 70mph. I'm more interested in driving a cruiser than a race car.
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DreWRoolZ
if you want to keep that engine definitely rebuild it!! if your engine throws a rod it could put a hole in the block and make it worthless! (speaking from experience plus my dad is a mechanic)
Yeah I definitely want to keep the 330, I don't drive it but soon as it gets pulled I'll check out the bottom end.
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Administrator

The rpms won't be much different than the 330 was!!!
Old October 13th, 2011, 07:25 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

The jetaway will bolt up to the 455, but it might not live with the exra torque for long. I f the engine is showing symptoms of wear/old age the transmission might not be far behind.
The 455 is heavier, if the suspension is tired you could have handling issues, and the brakes need to be in good shape or upgraded as well.
I dont want to be a wet blanket, just be aware that what starts out as a straightforward swap can become a major project.

I would get the 330 inspected and overhauled as necessary, then it will go straight in without having to consider upgrading everthing else involved, particularly as you are happy with the performance you have.
If you want the car to be a sleeper I would put a th400 or strengthened 200r4 behind the 455, but that won't come cheap.

Roger.
Old October 13th, 2011, 09:20 AM

sounds like you have got the ball rolling, a th 350 will bolt in and very closest to the two speed. You can keep the tail housing that holds the speedo gear, and the dive shaft should not have to be worked on . I did the swap on a 400 pontiac and with tall gears Yes it is quicker is hell on tire (one wheel peel) and rns the same rpm at 70 . If money is tight would run the two speed for now and upgrade later . Just dont go with a big cam or intake you need that olds low rpm power with that two speed.