Cutlass SX

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2017, 06:52 PM

Cutlass SX

So I am looking to set my Fiat Spider on fire and get a different daily driver. A driver that actually drives unlike my Fiat. At first I was looking at the 67-68 Cougars (price but parts look scarce) but the more I think of it I would like at Cutlass SX. The car seems to have the power of a 442 with the convince of a new car. Well as much as a 46 year old car can have modern consciences.

With that out the way....

1) I have no clue what the going price for an SX. Rare=pricey.

2) Since the VIN is the same as a regular Cutlass is the only way to tell if it is a counterfeit by the placement of the SX badge?

3) Parts seem pretty good for a Cutlass but all cars have hard to find parts. I am looking for mint or near mint cars but when I look at a car what parts should I make sure are in good shape.

4) Is the Cutlass SX forum worth the money? I have no problem contributing to a forum but I only like to waste money on cars, film cameras, and scotch.

5) Convertibles...I'm torn on this. HAs anyone had both? Is there a noticeable difference in handling. I really like convertible cars and it would be nice to have one with a big trunk that I don't have to play the game...should I put my computer in the trunk and take out my tools or

When purchased it will be a daily driver, I will be back in downtown Baton Rouge so by daily driver when I actually have to get in a car and can't walk.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to getting to know you.

PS...Apologize for any grammar mistakes but watching Once Upon A Time In The West.
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:19 PM

Dam, that's a funny screen name that brings back memories. My wife got taken for $$ on Bourbon Street with that line! FYI, we're both from SW LA (Lake Charles, to be exact).

Originally Posted by iknowwhereyougotthemshoes
When purchased it will be a daily driver, I will be back in downtown Baton Rouge
Well, my experience from 30+ years on the Gulf Coast was that a convertible is just about useless. Too many sudden thunderstorms and perpetual high humidity for any real opportunities for being comfortable with the top down - maybe 2 or 3 weeks of acceptable top down weather per year. I can't tell you how much water I bailed out of the back floorboards of my convertible when I lived there. I had a totally different experience growing up with a 70 Supreme hardtop with AC prior to buying the 71 convertible. If I still lived there I would go hardtop for sure.
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Dam, that's a funny screen name that brings back memories. My wife got taken for $$ on Bourbon Street with that line! FYI, we're both from SW LA (Lake Charles, to be exact).

Haha, I did too. The first time I ever went to NOLA without my parents. Lake Charles has my second favorite bridge to hate. Bridge City, Tx has the worst bridge.

Well, my experience from 30+ years on the Gulf Coast was that a convertible is just about useless. Too many sudden thunderstorms and perpetual high humidity for any real opportunities for being comfortable with the top down - maybe 2 or 3 weeks of acceptable top down weather per year. I can't tell you how much water I bailed out of the back floorboards of my convertible when I lived there. I had a totally different experience growing up with a 70 Supreme hardtop with AC prior to buying the 71 convertible. If I still lived there I would go hardtop for sure.

I've had two Jeeps and the Fiat is a convertible. You are right about most of the time it isn't practical but when it is it is glorious. My main concern was body flex. Some cars aren't meant to be convertibles. Appreciate the reply.
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:40 PM

I haven't found body flex to be an issue and I drive my car hard. When I redid the suspension I installed higher rate front and rear springs (FE2 equivalent - 442 suspension equivalent Moog 5536 front and 5409 rear), polyurethane rear control arm bushings, it had a factory rear sway bar with boxed lower control arms. I run 246-60 tires all around. I can say that this car doesn't feel any different than the 70 Supreme hardtop that I drove for 20 years prior to this one.
Old April 9th, 2017, 09:15 PM
Administrator

I found parts for a 67/68 cougar to be readily available a few months ago when I was rewiring one. The SX is a bit rare and it does mean pricey also. Great car choice though.
Old April 9th, 2017, 09:55 PM

I have two 1972 Cutlass Supreme hardtops and a 1970 Cutlass Supreme SX convertible. Yes, there's a bit of body flex in the convertible compared to the hardtops, but unless you're doing something ridiculous with the car, it shouldn't matter in daily driving.

The SX doesn't have any modern conveniences that a 442 or regular Cutlass Supreme couldn't have. Almost every single option on the SX was available across the Cutlass-442 line in 1970-72. The Y-79 Cutlass Supreme Performance Package got you one of three 455s, and a cutout rear bumper with trumpet tips and two fender badges. Everything else was optional.

If you're seriously interested in the SX, Sx455.com is worth the whopping $25 a year to see more specifications, articles and many photos to learn more about that model and how to ID a real one.

Good luck with your Olds search.

Terry
Old April 10th, 2017, 07:56 AM

I haven't found body flex to be an issue and I drive my car hard. When I redid the suspension I installed higher rate front and rear springs (FE2 equivalent - 442 suspension equivalent Moog 5536 front and 5409 rear), polyurethane rear control arm bushings, it had a factory rear sway bar with boxed lower control arms. I run 246-60 tires all around. I can say that this car doesn't feel any different than the 70 Supreme hardtop that I drove for 20 years prior to this one.
Cool thanks for the heads up.
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I found parts for a 67/68 cougar to be readily available a few months ago when I was rewiring one. The SX is a bit rare and it does mean pricey also. Great car choice though.

You are killing me smalls. I'm trying to make a decision. Thanks, the SX looks like a good combo of the sport/comfort that Olds was supposed to represent.
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by vette442
If you're seriously interested in the SX, Sx455.com is worth the whopping $25 a year to see more specifications, articles and many photos to learn more about that model and how to ID a real one.
Or he could just as Joe P and get the info for free.

Really though, if you're interested in a restored car be aware that using it as a daily driver will no doubt put wear and tear on it. If you bought a 1970 Olds Cutlass SX, held on to it for 25 years and kept it as a show car it would probably gain value, but not as fast as some other Oldsmobiles.
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Really though, if you're interested in a restored car be aware that using it as a daily driver will no doubt put wear and tear on it.
I can attest to that. I am at the point where I need to redo a bunch of stuff that it seems I just did a few years ago (it's really been nearly 20 years but I hate doing the same job all over again).

If the intended usage is an investment vehicle that you want to bring to car shows, buy a good condition desirable car and don't drive it. If you are like me and don't care about car shows and don't think of your car as an investment, get what you like, drive it, and enjoy it.

Last edited by Fun71; April 10th, 2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Runner

A 70 SX was the first Oldsmobile that got me hooked to Oldsmobiles. Power seats, power windows, cruise control, power locks with most of it still working. It had more options then my daily driver. But if your not worried about getting something "unique" since true SXs are hard to find, especially with the paper work, you could just get a Cutlass Supreme with most of the same options for a good bit cheaper. A lot of it depends if you want that 455 under the hood as well.
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Or he could just as Joe P and get the info for free.

Really though, if you're interested in a restored car be aware that using it as a daily driver will no doubt put wear and tear on it. If you bought a 1970 Olds Cutlass SX, held on to it for 25 years and kept it as a show car it would probably gain value, but not as fast as some other Oldsmobiles.

I hear ya but I will be back in downtown Baton Rouge and working 14 days on 14 days off. So when I am home, I usually walk everywhere and get groceries delivered. I don't put that many miles on a car. 14 days at work will either be on an offshore or land drilling rig. The only time I really drive is when I go to eat out outside of downtown or shopping for something that I cannot get down there.

Thanks for the tips though. It is something to keep in mind.
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:28 AM

I can attest to that. I am at the point where I need to redo a bunch of stuff that it seems I just did a few years ago (it's really been nearly 20 years but I hate doing the same job all over again).

If the intended usage is an investment vehicle that you want to bring to show cars, buy a good condition desirable car and don't drive it. If you are like me and don't care about car shows and don't think of your car as an investment, get what you like, drive it, and enjoy it.

Not looking for an investment but just for fun.
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Joffroi
A 70 SX was the first Oldsmobile that got me hooked to Oldsmobiles. Power seats, power windows, cruise control, power locks with most of it still working. It had more options then my daily driver. But if your not worried about getting something "unique" since true SXs are hard to find, especially with the paper work, you could just get a Cutlass Supreme with most of the same options for a good bit cheaper. A lot of it depends if you want that 455 under the hood as well.

Really do want the 455 but it is based on that not confirmed fact that the smaller V-8 is anemic. I have no clue really. Not really caring about unique just a good fun muscle car.
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:44 AM
delete

Originally Posted by iknowwhereyougotthemshoes

2) Since the VIN is the same as a regular Cutlass is the only way to tell if it is a counterfeit by the placement of the SX badge?

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to getting to know you.

1st - congrats on this. A lot of us would like to do this but don't, or can't because of the winters we get. An SX is a fine choice. Cool cars.
There are very good clones out there. Unless the seller has documentation to prove it's an SX you should price it like a Cutlass that has been cloned.
I had a convertible for many years. It's not so flexxy that it should be a detriment if you can deal with the other stuff that comes along with it (wind noise, etc). These are full frame cars & the convertibles have boxed frames. That being said, a boxed frame can contribute to rust so give it a thorough looking over.
Like was previously mentioned, there was no SX specific equipment that couldn't be optioned or added to a base car.
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:48 AM

I would just look for a really nice Cutlass with a 455 and not worry if it's the original engine or not. There are probably more 455 Cutlasses out there than GM ever built.
Old April 11th, 2017, 09:13 AM

My first car was a 70 SX (see avatar) 6 years new. I regrettably sold it back in '78, and would love to have another, but for me it would have to be the real deal. I'm not much of a clone fan. I didn't race other guys much, but when I did I don't recall losing. And that was with the 325HP engine. These cars are extremely rare in the SF Bay area, and as so are usually priced around $20K. I see a lot on Ebay, mostly from east of the Rockies, but most are from dealers and again are priced too high in my opinion. Great gentlemans muscle car. About the only way to tell if one is original(unless documented) would be to examine where the badges are mounted and try to determine how long they have been on there(provided there were no repaints or other restoration) that might give you an idea if they are original(pitting on the chrome, faded black paint, etc.). If originality is not an issue, then just check it out for mechanical soundness and other issues that would meet your criteria. You live in an area where most of these cars can be found, within a reasonable distance. Hope you find one....
Old April 11th, 2017, 09:34 AM

I'm strongly considering selling my fully documented Rallye Red '70 SX convertible that I've had since 2003. L-33 455 2v, white top and pearl bucket/console interior, rallye pack, sport mirrors, A/C. Super solid and reliable driver in mostly original paint, but needs some cosmetics and light body work/paint eventually. Was going to sell it to put funds towards my '72 V Code Supreme's body & paint, but I may sell that too after 15 years and just get a newer Scat Pack Challenger. That would leave me with my two Viking Blue '72s in my signature pic, plus a couple non-Oldsmobiles in my signature....

Terry
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
1st - congrats on this. A lot of us would like to do this but don't, or can't because of the winters we get. An SX is a fine choice. Cool cars.
There are very good clones out there. Unless the seller has documentation to prove it's an SX you should price it like a Cutlass that has been cloned.
I had a convertible for many years. It's not so flexxy that it should be a detriment if you can deal with the other stuff that comes along with it (wind noise, etc). These are full frame cars & the convertibles have boxed frames. That being said, a boxed frame can contribute to rust so give it a thorough looking over.
Like was previously mentioned, there was no SX specific equipment that couldn't be optioned or added to a base car.

Love the color of your car and thanks for a good response. I really like having a convertible. I feel closer to everything.
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:38 PM

I would just look for a really nice Cutlass with a 455 and not worry if it's the original engine or not. There are probably more 455 Cutlasses out there than GM ever built.

Might do it. I really like to stay close to the data plate but it is something I should mull over. Is it cheaper?
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chumley
My first car was a 70 SX (see avatar) 6 years new. I regrettably sold it back in '78, and would love to have another, but for me it would have to be the real deal. I'm not much of a clone fan. I didn't race other guys much, but when I did I don't recall losing. And that was with the 325HP engine. These cars are extremely rare in the SF Bay area, and as so are usually priced around $20K. I see a lot on Ebay, mostly from east of the Rockies, but most are from dealers and again are priced too high in my opinion. Great gentlemans muscle car. About the only way to tell if one is original(unless documented) would be to examine where the badges are mounted and try to determine how long they have been on there(provided there were no repaints or other restoration) that might give you an idea if they are original(pitting on the chrome, faded black paint, etc.). If originality is not an issue, then just check it out for mechanical soundness and other issues that would meet your criteria. You live in an area where most of these cars can be found, within a reasonable distance. Hope you find one....

Thanks Chum, I wish I could have gotten the chance to go up to SF area when I worked in California. I did get to see Sequoia National Park which is amazing, LA which is cool for history, and a whole lot of Bakersfield. God bless Bakersfield because someone has to.

What's weird about Louisiana is that it to big on clubs. I can't explain it but it seems other states have a xyz car club but we don't.

Thanks, hoping I can find one. I have to bring Isabella to the shop to finish her up and try to sell her. After that it is on!