Chrome flex vs. Regular hoses

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Chrome flex vs. Regular hoses

I want to replace radiator and heater hoses on my 69 cutlass. Does anyone have any pro/con opinions on the chrome flex type hoses (like motorchrome.com or similar) vs. regular ones?

Thanks,

Old May 11th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by my69olz
I want to replace radiator and heater hoses on my 69 cutlass. Does anyone have any pro/con opinions on the chrome flex type hoses (like motorchrome.com or similar) vs. regular ones?

Thanks,

1. Do you want the car to look original or bling? For original, go to Fusicks, Parts place, Tamraz, Supercars unlimited etc and get a quality repro hose with correct stamping. While you're there you can also get the correct clamps for these - they're a "tower" design. If you're just looking to dress it up, sure you can go with the chrome flex pipes, or you can go with a product called Nyla-braid. It's color coded for red,blue and black to dress up everything from rad hoses to plug wires and it's tolerant of heat conditions in the engine bay.

2. How much to you want to spend? A direct repro fitted tube will probably only cost you about 20 bucks at PEP boys. The companies I listed above charge from 24 (parts place) 25 (tamraz) 28.50 (fusicks) + shipping. The chrome flex pipe will easily double the cost, maybe more.

3. Reliability and fit? Ok, rubber products break down over time; plan to replace about every 4-5 years just to be safe. Don't know the reliability of the flex pipe, and you might have to make a brace for it so it fits right.

Anyway, good luck. Love to see some pictures of your car before and after.
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Allan summed it up nicely. I will also add that Rockauto probably has fitted Gates rad hoses for about 12-15 bucks each. The cheapie off-brands may be a few bucks less, but I would avoid them, as I have had those burst on me. Name brand hoses will have good internal braiding.

If you do choose the dressy chrome ones, make sure your engine is dressed as well so the hoses do not "steal the show".
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks Allan and Rob...Greatly appreciated...Good guidance. I will definitely seek quality hoses, and will re-think the chrome.