A/C compressor source

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2011, 11:19 AM

A/C compressor source

Hi All. Does anyone know of a source for re-building a/c compressors. I am in New Jersey and have 2, both with stick clutches and probably need seals.
Thanks in Advance
Joe in NJ
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:13 PM

Classic Auto Air Manufacturing Co

I have used Classic Auto Air in the past to have components rebuilt and the service has always been good and fast. They are slower in the hight of the air conditioning season, but you can't beat the quality of the work. I have had a couple of receiver / driers rebuilt when I couldn't find an original replacement and wanted to keep the car original as possible. It is one of those services that is on the expensive side as compared to just using a generic replacement. It all depends on how original you want to keep your car. They also repair and rebuild air condition compressors, and if you want to keep your car all original, then I recommend them for this service as well.
Sometimes a compressor looks the same as the replacement, but the bolt holes will not line up correctly requiring either bracket changes or modifications. This is the reason that I always prefer to repair what I have, along with the fact that many of the original air conditioning compressors have a stamped steel part number welded to the compressor shell, that the replacement will not have. Originality is what maintains the values of any old car, and the more original that you can keep it, the better the return on investment will be when you sell it.
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:40 AM

Junkman saved me from lots of typing!
CAA.