Brake drum question

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2019 | 07:04 AM

Brake drum question

Have a 65 cutlass with drum brakes, I replaced the front drums by pressing off the old drums, but installing the new ones I can’t remember if I’m supposed to stake the new drum onto the hub or if it’s ok just to slip on like it does now?
seems like once the wheel is bolted on this would keep it all in place. Thoughts?
Thanks ahead of time
greg
Old September 17th, 2019 | 07:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Gpc1
Have a 65 cutlass with drum brakes, I replaced the front drums by pressing off the old drums, but installing the new ones I can’t remember if I’m supposed to stake the new drum onto the hub or if it’s ok just to slip on like it does now?
seems like once the wheel is bolted on this would keep it all in place. Thoughts?
Thanks ahead of time
greg
How, exactly, did you press off the old drums? The correct way is to press out the lug bolts, which releases the drum from the hub.
Old September 17th, 2019 | 07:51 AM

Joe,
I used a hydraulic press to separate drum from hub. Not so sure I need to replace the studs. I remember staking the drums on back in the day.
Old September 17th, 2019 | 07:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe,
I used a hydraulic press to separate drum from hub. Not so sure I need to replace the studs. I remember staking the drums on back in the day.
Some replacement drums are slip fit over the knurls on the lugs. Others are correct replacements and will require you to press the studs out anyway. Depends on which you have. The drum is located by the center bore, not the lugs. If you do have a press-fit drum, DO NOT try to brute force it over the lugs. You'll distort the drum.
Old September 17th, 2019 | 08:05 AM

Joe,
The new ones went on with no forcing I wasn’t sure about staking them so I didn’t. Just want to make sure I didn’t do anything wrong.
Drums are on and car stops great. Haven’t had to replace a front brake drum since the 70’s.
Old September 17th, 2019 | 08:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe,
The new ones went on with no forcing I wasn’t sure about staking them so I didn’t. Just want to make sure I didn’t do anything wrong.
Drums are on and car stops great. Haven’t had to replace a front brake drum since the 70’s.
Yeah, you're fine. I've used a lot of slip-on drums over the years.
Old September 17th, 2019 | 09:14 AM

Great and thanks for the input. I can sleep better now.
greg