After market OAI hood for 72. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Runner

After market OAI hood for 72. What to look for?

I've always had my eye on eventually getting an OAI hood for my 1972 Cutlass Supreme with a 350. Although to have it fully functional would be nice, I would be happy to just have the look of it on my car.

I may have found what for what I think is a really great deal (just over $200). I wanted to come here to find out if there is anything I need to watch out for and find out what else I'll need.

1) I assume its probably a Tamraz hood. Seller says all he has done is a little work to make the contour fit his car. Never put it on because he found an original hood instead. These hoods good quality?

2) Light weight springs. Seller says it will come with the hood. Do I just replace the springs on my current hood hinges?

3) Hood pins. I assume I have to drive the holes in the hood. To get them to latch to anything, do I need to modify any other portion of my car?

4) Matching the paint. My car is pretty unique in color. Can paint shops match paint pretty easily and how much does it usually cost to paint just a hood.

5) Stripes? I guess if I want them I just need to stencil them on.

Anything else I should know or ask the guy? I really don't want to get a hood and then not be able to use it for anything.

Thanks again!

Here are some pics
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Joffroi
I've always had my eye on eventually getting an OAI hood for my 1972 Cutlass Supreme with a 350. Although to have it fully functional would be nice, I would be happy to just have the look of it on my car.

I may have found what for what I think is a really great deal (just over $200). I wanted to come here to find out if there is anything I need to watch out for and find out what else I'll need.

1) I assume its probably a Tamraz hood. Seller says all he has done is a little work to make the contour fit his car. Never put it on because he found an original hood instead. These hoods good quality?

2) Light weight springs. Seller says it will come with the hood. Do I just replace the springs on my current hood hinges?

3) Hood pins. I assume I have to drive the holes in the hood. To get them to latch to anything, do I need to modify any other portion of my car?

4) Matching the paint. My car is pretty unique in color. Can paint shops match paint pretty easily and how much does it usually cost to paint just a hood.

5) Stripes? I guess if I want them I just need to stencil them on.

Anything else I should know or ask the guy? I really don't want to get a hood and then not be able to use it for anything.

Thanks again!

Here are some pics
1. Looks like my Glasstech. They never fit perfect and may warp a little from heat.
2. Yes, use the light springs.
3. Buy the repo hood twist latches and bases. You will have to drill the hood to install these.
4. A good paint shop can come close. Cost??? They are all different.
5. I laid mine out by hand and painted myself. You can buy the vinyl stripes online.
Hope that helps.
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Runner

Originally Posted by ziff396
1. Looks like my Glasstech. They never fit perfect and may warp a little from heat.
2. Yes, use the light springs.
3. Buy the repo hood twist latches and bases. You will have to drill the hood to install these.
4. A good paint shop can come close. Cost??? They are all different.
5. I laid mine out by hand and painted myself. You can buy the vinyl stripes online.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info, definitely helped.

The current owner already made some relief cuts to match his aftermarket fenders. He guessed he had about 6-8 hours of work before it aligned to his car.

The main thing I'm worried about is if I get this hood, and too much was done to it as far as cuts go to make it fit my car. That and there is about a 2" x 2" crack on the top only. Is it worth it?
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:05 AM

$200 I wouldn't think twice about it. The cheapest new all fiberglass ones are $600 and then still have to go through fitting/drilling etc. Hard to imagine the work you may need to make it fit yours would be more than a $600 one plus the fitting costs of that. Think with the look of your car I'd be tempted to not put stripes on it. If you do have them painted on instead of the stickers.
Old June 6th, 2012, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Magna86
$200 I wouldn't think twice about it. The cheapest new all fiberglass ones are $600 and then still have to go through fitting/drilling etc. Hard to imagine the work you may need to make it fit yours would be more than a $600 one plus the fitting costs of that. Think with the look of your car I'd be tempted to not put stripes on it. If you do have them painted on instead of the stickers.
I agree. Not to mention the shipping cost. I also would paint them on. The vinyl stripes were just an option. That color, if you decide, would look good with ghost stripes in my opinion being that it's a custom color.
Old June 6th, 2012, 05:16 AM
delete

Originally Posted by Magna86
$200 If you do have them painted on instead of the stickers.
I have decals. Once in a while you'll get a little air bubble popping up but they have aged well & the upside is if i ever want to change the look of the car I can peel it off pretty easy.

131.jpg

Last edited by droptopron; June 6th, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old June 6th, 2012, 09:35 AM
72 Olds CS

whre did you get the decals ?/

edit were talking the stripes on your hood in your avater right ??