86 oldsmobile cutlass supreme HELP READ PLZ

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Thumbs down 86 oldsmobile cutlass supreme HELP READ PLZ

I have a 86 cutlass supreme. It had some poor emmissions testing (in AZ) thus I could not get new tags on it. It ran 100% fine at this point. I took it to a *reliable* mechanic and paid him 600$ to *fix it so it can pass emmisions* . He aparently rebuilt the carburetor, then siad it was fixed. It failed the next two emission trys. Took it back to him and he *adjusted it*. Failed again. Took it back AGAIN and he said he would *Adjust it more* and *get it passed*. He then took it in the next morning HIMSELF and SOMEHOW magically it passed with flying colors. I got in the car and it RAN LIKE CRAP! THe idle was screwed up to hell but he said it was *normal for a old car*. LOLOL???? He screwed up my car! I took it homeanyway and within a week the car could not even stay at a red light without it COMEPLETELY DYING. When ever I let off the gas a tiny bit it would COMEPLETELY DIE no matter where I am. THIS NEVER HAPPENED IN THE PAST! only after he *fixed it*. It now only runs if I hold the gas half way down CONSTANTLY and hold the break so I dont bash into anyone. If I break and let go of the gas more then half way, it dies. Yes my gas runs out within a few miles with this technique too... so I need your help to fix it! Otherwise I believe the engine/car is in decent condition, despite what this idiot did to break it.

Heres some conditions:
1)Hard to start up
2)Dies if I let off the gas more then half way
3)sounds like sh*t and is loud as hell now
4) I noticed a cut tube underneath the car, which obviously the mechanic cut for some reaosn (any ideas why?)
5)5 gallons of gas does'nt last too long the way it drives now.

Anyoen have any ideas on what he did and or how to fix it? I called him and complained and he said due to the fact I had it a week after he did it, I ruined the car myself. LOLOL what a joke. He said also that the carburetor he rebuilt probably just needs adjusting.

Anyone know if I can adjust this carburetor myself? Anyone have a guide?

Please help me guys me and my girl are stranded here because of this idiot mechanic ! If I had a rough Idea on how to fix it I am sure I could.

Thanks
- Dan
Old November 10th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Past Administrator

I think you got hosed by a vengfull mechanic, go someplace else.
Old November 10th, 2006, 12:19 PM

can't go someplace else.. gotta fix it myself
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:47 AM

hi ,it seems to me you have a vacum leak or one of your vacum hoses are put wrong or the guy that fixed your carb dont know what he is doing.may he never changed the jet seals or the diaphram.i have a 1985 442 .this is my ninth cutlass and i do all the work on my cars myself.i'll be happy to help as much as i can.
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Past Administrator

Do it yourself

Dan, if you are going to do it yourself, start by buying a maintenance manual for your car that gives all the tune-up specs and has good step-by-step directions with good photos to help you out. Then start double checking all the mechanic's work, i.e. spark plug condition, plug wire routing, distributor cap and rotor, coil, timing, vacumm hoses, carb jet settings, carb linkage. Basically you are looking at a complete tune-up yourself. I agree that it sure sounds like a vacumm leak or carb mis-adjustment. The only reason I mentioned taking it to another mechanic is that would be the only way to document any mistakes the first guy made if you plan to take some kind of action to get your money back. And that is a pain in the butt, I know.....

And, good luck.