86 cutlass stalling randomly

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2013, 06:40 AM

86 cutlass stalling randomly

I have a 1986 cutlass supreme Brougham sedan 307ci. I've recently been having problems with the car stalling. I bought The car in June and have put about 3000 miles on it without a problem. Recently the car has been dying on me and not firing back up easily. It started stalling every once in a while at stoplights and such bit gradually went on to stalling while rolling at cruising speed. It became so difficult to start 2 times that the battery died and I needed to be jumped. I replaced the egr valve with no progress. I do also have a pre-exiting problem with the servo for the torque converter but I don't think that would be causing my stalling problem. I pulled the cap on the distributor and everything looks great. I replaced the fuel filter as well. It seems to be getting good fuel to the Carb as well. Any input on where to look will gladly be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Is the choke pulling off when it warms up? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Is it running rough at idle in park or neutral? Did it start after a recent fill up?
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:52 AM

The choke is pulling off when it warms up. I have checked the vaccumn lines and have heard or felt any leaks (is there a better way to check?) It sometime will idle a little low and rough at idle. And yes after a recent fill up of premium it still does the same thing. Thanks
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Your car does not require premium fuel. Does the exhaust sound normal, is it sluggish on power (catalytic converter issue)? You can visually check all the vacuum lines and also use an unlit propane torch around the carb base and where the manifold seals against the heads, block and around vacuum lines.

You can also add your choice of carb/fuel system cleaner to your fuel.
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:06 AM

To me the exhaust does sound a little sketchy. A little bit broken up almost.
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Administrator

It may be a clogged converter. If you hit the converter with the palm of your hand does it rattle?