83 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 307 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2006 | 03:31 PM

83 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 307 5.0L

I need some help with some starting problems. My car Blow's really dark black smoke out of the tailpipe evertime I start the car and makes a belt like squeeling sound,I have already changed all the belts can't find the squeel,but after the car squeels it powers up and the smoke takes a min or 2 to clear out and the car runs perfectly fine after it's running.I have already put on new,plugs,wire's,distributor cap,all the belts,new altenator,new battery,brand new radiator.And now it won't start at all. It starts and then it fire's here and there and there's plenty of gas getting to the carb. Can anyone tell me if they think my problem lie's somewhere in my emissions\oxygen sensor\cadalitic converter\air pump type area?? I love this old car and I'm not ready to give up on her yet,but I just cant figure this one out.
Old December 2nd, 2006 | 08:53 PM

look at these problems.

The black smoke tells me that ur running rich. U may be fowling out the plugs. When u try and start it and it won't start pull a couple of plugs and C if they are wet and smell like gas.If that is the prob. then u need to have the carburator rebuilt.
Old December 5th, 2006 | 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mjscutlass
The black smoke tells me that ur running rich. U may be fowling out the plugs. When u try and start it and it won't start pull a couple of plugs and C if they are wet and smell like gas.If that is the prob. then u need to have the carburator rebuilt.
Hey thanks 4 the reply mjcutlass. I think you might be right because when I replaced the plugs about 4 weeks ago a couple of them were burnt out and it was heavy with gas in there.And when I'm tring to get it started now the new plugs are wet. Is there anything I can do to get around that carb just to get it to fire-up? Because after about 3 mins it heats up and the problem goes away. Just untill I can find a reasonable priced carb.
Old December 6th, 2006 | 02:33 AM

You can lean the carb out a bit
Old December 7th, 2006 | 07:12 AM

UR carb

The carburater on ur car is computer controled.(NO ADJUSTMENT) If the carburater is the stock one. Depends on how far u are from me but i have a good carb. I just pulled it off a 83 cutlass(put a big block in it)