'73 350 engine

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:30 PM

'73 350 engine

Some of you have probably read my past posts about the problems of a '73 motor in a '72 car. I at first wondered why some previous owner busted out the bottom of the fan shroud, only to figure out it was to let the fan clear it. Hmmm, must have used a larger fan on the '73s. Noooo......For some reason, the '73 Omega 350 sits about 1" lower in the frame than normal, ( or the crankshaft is a wee bit higher in the block) thus requiring the busting out of the shroud. Is this an inherent design in the '73 motor? It's a 6 blade 19.5" fan (for A/C ) . Since I already got a good used '72 shroud, I was thinking to get a smaller (18") fan so it will clear. What fans from what years will fit the clutch assembly? Anybody got one? Chumley
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:59 PM

The 330 in one of my 67's sits so low the oil pan rubs the steering drag link. I think it's caused by the motor mounts. For reference I pulled the original 330 that was locked up. I installed the current 330 which a 67 motor. I can't remember for sure but think I used the motor mounts from the locked up engine.

I plan to move this engine again to my new project car. While it's out I'll compare mounts. If I find anything worth telling I'll get some photos. It might be a couple of weeks.

Don
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Chumley
Some of you have probably read my past posts about the problems of a '73 motor in a '72 car. I at first wondered why some previous owner busted out the bottom of the fan shroud, only to figure out it was to let the fan clear it. Hmmm, must have used a larger fan on the '73s. Noooo......For some reason, the '73 Omega 350 sits about 1" lower in the frame than normal, ( or the crankshaft is a wee bit higher in the block) thus requiring the busting out of the shroud. Is this an inherent design in the '73 motor? It's a 6 blade 19.5" fan (for A/C ) . Since I already got a good used '72 shroud, I was thinking to get a smaller (18") fan so it will clear. What fans from what years will fit the clutch assembly? Anybody got one? Chumley
One more time:

ALL Olds blocks from 1964-1990 (394 excepted) have EXACTLY the same motor mount bolt holes and crank centerline. The also ALL use the same front cover and have the same water pump centerline. This applies to big blocks, small blocks, and diesels. Any problem with the fan not lining up is due to the wrong motor mounts, the wrong trans mount, or the wrong crossmember. It is NOT the fault of the block.

The stock fan should be centered in the fan shroud. Possibly the shroud is not mounted properly.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:55 PM

Reading the same old questions over and over is one of the hazards of any forum. How we deal with them is another topic.

DD
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:02 PM

Sorry, I hadn't run across this question before on the boards. The shroud can only be mounted one way as far as I can see. I suspect maybe the motor mounts are not correct. They were probably stripped as well along with the original engine and tranny. Thanks for the input....Chumley