72 Cutlass S Club Post Car - Rare or not?

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:38 AM

72 Cutlass S Club Post Car - Rare or not?

So awhile back I got my hands on a 72 Cutlass S that was kept in a climate controlled storage unit for about 20 years. The body is in great condition except for a little rust on the floor. The car is currently disassembled and I'm looking at selling it since I got too many projects to work on. I have been told by some friends not to sell it since it is a post car. I've been told that it might be rare. Is this true? With some cars, I realize that just because it's rare doesn't always mean that it's worth a lot. The vin is 3G77H2R154529. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old November 23rd, 2013, 10:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bullmastiff13
So awhile back I got my hands on a 72 Cutlass S that was kept in a climate controlled storage unit for about 20 years. The body is in great condition except for a little rust on the floor. The car is currently disassembled and I'm looking at selling it since I got too many projects to work on. I have been told by some friends not to sell it since it is a post car. I've been told that it might be rare. Is this true? With some cars, I realize that just because it's rare doesn't always mean that it's worth a lot. The vin is 3G77H2R154529. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Post cars are rare because they were unpopular when new in the 1960s. The post cars were primarily bottom-of-the-line loss leaders. Everyone wanted the hardtops, which look much better, and therefore sold in much greater numbers. The whole concept of post cars being rare AND valuable was created by sellers trying to polish a turd.

Some people like them (some people bought Azteks, also). Post cars are marginally lighter than hardtops (there's under 100 lbs difference in most cases, when equipped the same) and are also marginally stiffer. This made them desirable race car fodder (the lower base price didn't hurt, either).
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

To head off the cards and letters from the lovers of post cars, let me clarify that I wasn't implying that post cars are turds, only that sellers after a fast buck are trying to artificially inflate the price of less desirable vehicles by claiming rarity. The fact remains that if the car was less desirable when new, it's probably less desirable (and thus less valuable) now. As an example, a 442 is MUCH more rare than the same year Chevelle SS (by about 10:1). With the same condition and level of equipment, which one will sell for more on today's market?
Old November 24th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by bullmastiff13
I have been told by some friends not to sell it since it is a post car. I've been told that it might be rare. Is this true? With some cars, I realize that just because it's rare doesn't always mean that it's worth a lot. The vin is 3G77H2R154529. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
As Joe already mentioned, Post coupes had much lower production numbers - hence there would be much less of them left all things being equal.
Here's what your VIN decodes as:
3 - Oldsmobile division of GM
G - Cutlass S
77 - Series 77 - Sport coupe (post) - note series 87 was Holiday coupe; also referred to as hardtop
H - 2 bbl 350 engine rated at 160 hp
2 - 1972 model year
R - Arlington TX production
154529 - production sequence at Arlington.

This car is worth as much as someone is willing to write on a check for you.
Old November 24th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Runner

I can't tell you why, but I really like the look of a post car.
Old November 24th, 2013, 05:53 PM

Joe,
Just being a wise guy here, but what about the unpopular Superbirds & Daytonas? They languished on lots for a year or two cause they were unpopular then. We should have grabbed a few right?
Old November 24th, 2013, 05:59 PM

Thank you for the responses guys! I was kind of thinking the same thing and it helps with my decision to just sell it. Now, if it was a Superbird or Daytona that would be a different story lol I love those cars!
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:07 PM

I tell my Chevy friends that when I rule the world, I'll restore all the LS6 chevelles & then have a big demolition derby with them all!! HA!
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Trying to remember member

Generally, any premium on a post car comes only in the high performance version of that series. Because it is lighter than its hardtop counterpart. And all else being equal, it is thus quicker. To some, and you can count me in, it makes a more desirable high performance car than a hardtop or convertible. If you want a high performance car, why go slower?
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:44 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

Production FiguresTotal Oldsmobile Production for 1972762,199Total production of Cutlass for 1972298,881Coupes37,790Cutlass Cruiser Station Wagons7,979Cutlass Supreme Convertibles11,571Cutlass Supreme Holiday HardTops105,087Cutlass Supreme Holiday HardTops14,955Twn Sedans38,893'S' Holiday Hardtops78,461'S' Sports Coupes4,145
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:47 PM

I own both a hardtop and a club coupe 65. I cant see where the weight difference is. The hardtop has no extra bracing in the roof. Also the sedan doors are heavier due to the window frames. Both body shells are exactly the same, except the sedan has window frames.

I think the whole "lighter" thing is a myth. Stiffer yes, but marginally.
Old November 25th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by TK-65
Kinda what I said. The weight difference isn't in the body shell, but in the window glass and regulators. The fact that post cars have window frames allow the use of a less complex and thus lighter window regulator. Again, the difference is in the tens of pounds or less. Also, these bottom feeder cars tended to have less sound deadening and often rubber floor mats instead of carpet. This obviously wasn't because they were post cars but because they were loss leaders.
Old November 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM

From holding carpet and an original rubber mat, the mat is heavier. Most if not all the weight savings on a 65 is in the chrome. A club coupe has no side chrome or rear chrome panel. That die cast adds a lot of weight to the car when its on a Cutlass. Take a Cutlass sports coupe and a hardtop and there is absolutely no difference in weight.

Id argue the Cutlass optioned sedans were not loss leaders. They were cars sold to people that wanted a sedan, for whatever reason that was. Wind noise? Water tight windows? Whatever it was they were not all bottom feeders. Olds made 32,500 Cutlass sports coupes compared to 46,000 hardtops in 65.
Old November 25th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Whatever it was they were not all bottom feeders. Olds made 32,500 Cutlass sports coupes compared to 46,000 hardtops in 65.
Fair enough. I'd argue that Sport Coupe style looks better with the squarish 1964-65 bodies than with the 68-72 bodies.
Old November 25th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Trying to remember member

I own both a hardtop and a club coupe 65. I cant see where the weight difference is. The hardtop has no extra bracing in the roof. Also the sedan doors are heavier due to the window frames. Both body shells are exactly the same, except the sedan has window frames.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Kinda what I said. The weight difference isn't in the body shell, but in the window glass and regulators. The fact that post cars have window frames allow the use of a less complex and thus lighter window regulator. Again, the difference is in the tens of pounds or less. Also, these bottom feeder cars tended to have less sound deadening and often rubber floor mats instead of carpet. This obviously wasn't because they were post cars but because they were loss leaders.
A myth? Hardly. Marginally lighter is still lighter and marginally faster is still faster. And astute racers knew to order the carpet instead of the rubber mats. Performance is one thing, style is another. To the real gearhead, the favorite style was "fast".
Old November 25th, 2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
A myth? Hardly. Marginally lighter is still lighter and marginally faster is still faster. And astute racers knew to order the carpet instead of the rubber mats. Performance is one thing, style is another. To the real gearhead, the favorite style was "fast".
Weight difference between a 65 sport coupe and hardtop is 24 pounds. Hardtop is 24 lbs heavier. That number flips easily by the weight of the drivers.

People toss around the lighter and stiffer claim like it really made a difference. Order a hardtop without a radio and its lighter than a sedan. Sedan with a full tank of gas is heavier, etc..

Im sure a radio delete car is soooo much faster than a car with a radio because its lighter.
Old November 25th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Shoveling Snow

Having the tail panel would help with traction right.
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Don't forget the heater delete, bench vs buckets, no power anything, etc... When I was a kid the reason we liked the post cars was purely financial, they were less expensive. People just didn't want a stripped down grandma's grocery getter.
Old November 25th, 2013, 02:34 PM

How's the wind noise in a post car?
Old November 25th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Seff
How's the wind noise in a post car?
If it's anything like my 83 Ninety Eight 4 door, it should be fairly low because all the windows have channels on 3 sides (L,R,Top) that snug the glass pretty nicely. Only place I get significant wind noise from in my 72 Cutlass right now is from the worn 1/4 window rubbers.
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:04 PM

I get a bit in the corners. Aftermarket rubber of a dubious quality.
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
... As an example, a 442 is MUCH more rare than the same year Chevelle SS (by about 10:1). With the same condition and level of equipment, which one will sell for more on today's market?
Okay, at risk of answering this wrong, I'm thinking the stupid Chevelle would fetch higher dollars? When I looked at Hagarty's car values, same year Olds lost out every time to Chevelle. I thought it may be a desirability issue? Perhaps they had a groovy grill?

I spotted the below tidbit in a "loss leader" Wiki. Who knew?

Chevrolet's Corvette was originally intended in the 1950s to be an "image builder" and loss leader for General Motors, the idea being that men would go to showrooms to look at this "automotive Playboy Bunny"—which they knew they could not afford—and end up purchasing a lower-cost model.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; November 26th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It seems that Olds is always the wallflower at the dance. You're right that there's a bigger and stronger market for the Chevelles, Vettes, GTO's etc and for the most part they're also better documented. That's not to say that an Olds with documentation isn't worth much, it's uhh I think the words I'm looking for are 'under valued' and 'under appreciated' by a lot of peeps. That's ok though as I appreciate my car for what it is and the enjoyment it gives me.
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:42 PM

Good thing about Oldsmobiles being less valuable to some people is that the parts cars are cheaper too!!
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Really Scott??? I haven't found that very often. IMO, after market pricing on a lot of replacement parts is getting way out of control by a lot of the vendors. You really have to shop around for deals nowadays.
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:23 PM

I meant complete or partial cars to part out. Not the repro. parts. I've bought over 20 parts cars this year, most of them were $300.00-$500.00 cars & pretty complete most of the time. Not like a rusted out rolling chassis of a chevelle for $5,000.00.
Old November 27th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles
I spotted the below tidbit in a "loss leader" Wiki. Who knew?

Chevrolet's Corvette was originally intended in the 1950s to be an "image builder" and loss leader for General Motors, the idea being that men would go to showrooms to look at this "automotive Playboy Bunny"—which they knew they could not afford—and end up purchasing a lower-cost model.
Whoever wrote that Wiki article sure doesn't know the definition of "loss leader". (But... I thought EVERYTHING on the interweb was true! )

A "loss leader" is a bottom of the line car at the lowest possible price. These are strippers that the company sells at at a loss (hence the term) to generate showroom traffic. The plan is that the low price entices the customers into the showroom, where they see how sparsely equipped the car is and elects to purchase a better equipped (and thus more profitable) model. The Corvette was what's known as a halo car - a top end car that was similarly intended to generate showroom traffic. The H/O, Shelby Mustangs, and other cars were similar halo cars. These cars would draw dad into the showroom, where sanity would prevail and he'd buy a four door instead.
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:27 AM
delete

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I tell my Chevy friends that when I rule the world, I'll restore all the LS6 chevelles & then have a big demolition derby with them all!! HA!
I'd take all the "LS6"'s and restore them to their original state of bench seat column shift light green 307's.
There are more LS6 Chevelles now than there was then.
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
...There are more LS6 Chevelles now than there was then.
OoooooooooooooooH, I hate those Chevelles !!!

People at the gas station often call out - "hey, what year Chevelle is that?"

I simply reply - sixty seven. It's just not worth correcting them as they always look confused.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:41 PM

I had a 72' Cutlass S back in the 90's. Had to sell it because I was getting married and it helped pay for the wedding. I keep looking for another one and haven't had any luck.
Old February 11th, 2014, 05:02 PM

my old 1970 cutlass s was a post car that's were the front door has a vent window and a frame around the front window plus the post right?
Old February 11th, 2014, 05:06 PM

Curious

Originally Posted by Eric Jerome Brodberg
I had a 72' Cutlass S back in the 90's. Had to sell it because I was getting married and it helped pay for the wedding. I keep looking for another one and haven't had any luck.

Do you still have the woman you sold the car for?