72 Calif Cutlass Rag....Any Ideas on PRICE?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:57 AM

72 Calif Cutlass Rag....Any Ideas on PRICE?

.......Have a chance to buy a '72.....need an idea on price?!

72 Cutlass Conv...Calif car....100% Orig body
Never rusted....dead straight
Exc Sunfire Yellow paint ( orig code) ....done 20 years ago
Exc 90% orig white bucket seat/console interior
350 4B (OM) ....Rebuilt.....receits for $5000!!
Auto, ps, pb, Cold Air, tint,
Orig factory rims...nice
Custom duals.....only mods on car
Very Nice white top with glass window
chrome, glass, etc all orig and Nice!!!
Runs/drives awesome.....
Not a Glitsy restored car but super clean orig '72 with killer body
Thanks for any input!!!!
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM

I bought a 72' cutlass convertible 5 months ago and Im from southern california. the only difference between the car your looking at and the one I bought seems to be the engine. mine is equiped with a 455 and has an OAI hood. my car has no dents, pretty good paint and a tear free interior. I got mine for 11k.

if all the pieces are there I would expect to pay at least 10k for the car you just described. convertibles are always so popular so its reflected in the price.
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:21 AM

The Old Cars Price Guide agrees with GreekDog. It lists the average value of a '72 Cutlass Supreme convertible in #3 condition ("car show" condition but not showroom new, which sounds like the car under discussion here) at just under $11,000. In showroom condition (#2), the average value is just under $17,000.
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:08 AM

my advice to you is: Money talks.

If you show up with 10k in hand the seller is gonna have a hard time saying no. If you offer it to him over the phone he might say no but in person I think he would spring for it.

In this economy cash is king. everyone is hurting and when the cash is there in person its hard to say no.

thats what I would do if i where you. You could ever offer 9k if your feeling gutsy but I think 10k is more than fair.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Where are you located? If you're in the rust belt and it's a rust-free California car that's already in your area (it got there on someone else's dime), that's worth a premium to get a car that isn't pieced together from rust repair. A clean, unaltered original car is also worth a bit of a premium.

If you're in SoCal or somewhere where these rust free cars are still more abundant, then you can wheel and deal a bit more because there are other comparable alternatives to turn to if you don't buy this one.

Pay less if you can of course, but $12-14K wouldn't be unreasonable, even in this market - original condition, never rusted, professionally rebuilt #s drivetrain, bucket/console car, A/C working, turnkey condition - all are a plus.

Just my experienced two cents.

Terry

Last edited by vette442; May 19th, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:45 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by vette442
Where are you located? If you're in the rust belt and it's a rust-free California car that's already in your area (it got there on someone else's dime), that's worth a premium to get a car that isn't pieced together from rust repair. A clean, unaltered original car is also worth a bit of a premium.

If you're in SoCal or somewhere where these rust free cars are still more abundant, then you can wheel and deal a bit more because there are other comparable alternatives to turn to if you don't buy this one.

Pay less if you can of course, but $12-14K wouldn't be unreasonable, even in this market - original condition, never rusted, professionally rebuilt #s drivetrain, bucket/console car, A/C working, turnkey condition - all are a plus.

Just my experienced two cents.

Terry
I agree with the above. A virgin metal metal car with pro build fresh motor should be worth 13-15K. I would start a lot lower but if was the right car its worth the money. They are getting harder and harder to find.
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM

Were in los angeles is the cutlass located?
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM

After reading your original post, I would have priced it at around 18K. But if you can get it for less I think you got a deal. Cars I've seen for 10K to 12K are pretty beat but I live in the Chicago area. Good luck.

Last edited by my72vert; May 19th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:49 AM

If it is a nice, fully functional car, I'd agree with mid teens, and maybe more depending on just how good it is. 9 to 10K sounds like a not so nice car, or one with obvious flaws. It's pretty difficult for anyone to really give an accurate estimate without seeing the car in person, and better yet, driving it. Maybe you can buy it cheap if it's a must sell now situation. I'd never sell my 72 vert for 9 or 10K unless I needed to sell NOW!
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:49 AM

Thanks Guys!
Owner received couple low ball offers....got ticked off and decided to keep it!! my search continues...any '68-72 Convs available...Mint Orig body a must??