71 Cutlass Supreme cowl hood bumper question

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2012, 03:07 PM

Question 71 Cutlass Supreme cowl hood bumper question

In my power train rebuild, I am also refinishing some metal parts and replacing all rubber parts. I have refinished most of the cowl and installed new body caulk at the cowl seams. After painting and allowing time for curing I've installed a replacement cowl hood gasket and am ready to put on the cowl hood bumper when I noticed that the replacment part I order isn't exactly the same size or shape as the one I've removed. I've posted a couple of pictures and would welcome advice or opinions from those who may have similar experience.

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010135.JPG (56.3 KB, 82 views)
P1010137.JPG (60.2 KB, 77 views)
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 71Convertible
In my power train rebuild, I am also refinishing some metal parts and replacing all rubber parts. I have refinished most of the cowl and installed new body caulk at the cowl seams. After painting and allowing time for curing I've installed a replacement cowl hood gasket and am ready to put on the cowl hood bumper when I noticed that the replacment part I order isn't exactly the same size or shape as the one I've removed. I've posted a couple of pictures and would welcome advice or opinions from those who may have similar experience.

Thanks,
Don that repro bumper looks awful to me. I replaced the "center" part on mine with a front hood bumper, but used the original mounting part.
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:10 PM

Can't tell too much from the "far away" pictures....but the only difference I can see b/n your repro and the originals is the repro is a slight "cone" shape whereas the originals were the same O.D. top to bottom.

Still have your original?
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:38 PM

most repos are the cone shaped as you have noted. I did find a repo that is correct and I'm pretty sure it was from inline tube
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Patton, are the 71 and 72 cowl lacings the same? I just went and looked at mine. They are 40 years old and are squished pretty flat. But at the ends where the hood doesn't press down, they are somewhat conical. Can you show a pic of what you mean with 'same O.D. top to bottom'? I have a repro lacing I was going to install and it is somewhat conical. Does it really matter if the main purpose is just to keep engine off gasses from reaching the fresh air intake? Prolly on a show car.....but who makes the right lacing that matches OEM?
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:41 PM

Allan - I was referring to the rear-of-hood-underside rubber bumper...that's what the OP is referring to I believe.

Anyway, the cowl w/strip is the same for 70-2 (probably 68 and 69 as well) and yes, it's profile could be interpreted as a "triangular"/cone profile as well (with the top point of the triangle rounded off).

The cowl w/strip is the same profile/stuff/strip as the strips that mount to the vertical part of the radiator support and fill the gap b/n those vertical sides and the ends of the radiator tanks....the cowl w/strip is just a longer piece of the same stuff.

In the past there have been complaints about the repro cowl w/strips because someone apparently offered two versions...one "stiff/higher density" version and another "soft/lower density" version. Those that were unfortunate enough to get the "revisionist history" higher density repro piece found the back of the hood wouldn't set down all the way.

If given a choice clean up and re-use a nice original (they all get smashed down over time anyway) or get the "correct fitting" soft/low density version. I don't even know if both versions are still offered but that's a heads up in case you are given the choice.

I believe the strip sold by Fusick and other places is the correct profile...matches the original.

I'll take a look at the ILT version of the rear of hood bumper....nice to have original looking stuff available.

Maybe the OP can mount that thing in his intake below the carb...it does sort of look like that "Cone Of Power" thing that is sold by that West Coast Olds engine parts outfit with the bad rep.

Thanks

Last edited by 70Post; August 14th, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Patton - we're talking about the same thing, just using different words. I'd love to be able to re-use my OEM part but it's hard as a rock. I don't WANT to replace it, I NEED to replace it. It's just not effective in its original purpose anymore. I'll prolly use the OEM clips that hold it to the cowl if I don't break them getting them out.

The replacement cowl weather strip I bought seems very pliable so I don't think it will have trouble compressing.
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

IMO I don't like how it looks. Not on that car anyway. Found this, it's square and not really expensive IMO.
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by bdub217
IMO I don't like how it looks. Not on that car anyway. Found this, it's square and not really expensive IMO.
??? Confused. I thought we were talking about the rubber weather strip, not the cowl screen. Did you get the right link from the ILT site? I think you might have meant this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-70-442...#ht_500wt_1271
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM

Better picture of cowl hood bumper for OP

I am referring to the post bumper in the center of the cowl.

Here is a better picture that I didn't have in the OP. The repo bumper on the right is a smaller OD at the top than at the bottom. It is also shorter than the removed part. The removed bumper is 1" height, while the repo is only 13/16". So I may not be able to use the repo part simply due to the height difference. I still have the original, but it is hard as a rock, so it needs to be replaced.

The Fusick's catalog has a picture that appears the top OD is larger than the bottom, but that may just be the camera angle. There isn't a detailed description or any dimensions in their catalog. If someone purchased one from Fusick's I'd be interested in that input.

I also replaced the cowl lacing with a new, soft and very pliable reproduction part which I think is visible in the pictures in the OP. I can provide more details for that if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your input
Attached Images
P1010138.JPG (42.3 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by 71Convertible; August 15th, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, now I see what you guys were talking about. I had my wires crossed. Thank you for the clarification. Learned something new today!
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM

CORRECTED repo bumper height

The dimension in my last post is incorrect. The repo bumper height is 13/16" so I wanted to correct that.
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

OH WOW we were calling things by all kinds of names kinda like mothers do when their kids aren't minding them.... anyway Yes the correct height ones would be ideal. =P Can you cut the REPO down a bit?
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:26 PM

As suggested by others, call Inline Tube...if you go to their website you can see a pic of the bumper BUT it's in their "New Products" listings for "Oldsmobile". The pic shows a correct cylindrical style bumper, not a conical one like you show in your pics. Their part number appears to be INL11986 and it's shows to cost $11.75 (includes a new screw).

You'll need to scroll down almost halfway through the "New Products" list and you'll see it along with the hood pull handles. It looks like they mixed up the PN's on the pics when you compare them to the PN's with the prices....maybe you can suggest they correct that as well.

Or call Fusick...however you may find their phone skills when asked nitpicky questions to be a bit interesting.
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Thumbs up cowl hood bumper feedback

Originally Posted by 70Post
As suggested by others, call Inline Tube...if you go to their website you can see a pic of the bumper BUT it's in their "New Products" listings for "Oldsmobile". The pic shows a correct cylindrical style bumper, not a conical one like you show in your pics. Their part number appears to be INL11986 and it's shows to cost $11.75 (includes a new screw).

You'll need to scroll down almost halfway through the "New Products" list and you'll see it along with the hood pull handles. It looks like they mixed up the PN's on the pics when you compare them to the PN's with the prices....maybe you can suggest they correct that as well.

Or call Fusick...however you may find their phone skills when asked nitpicky questions to be a bit interesting.

Thanks for the specific information, I appreciate you taking the time to provide it!