71 Cutlass Seat removal

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:58 PM

71 Cutlass Seat removal

Any tips of tricks to removing the front bench seat in my 71 cutlass? I have a replacement ready to go and looking at the brackets it seems straightforward just didn't know if there was any tricks
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:52 AM

Very sraightforward. Just remember the seat belts: probably easier to un-bolt them from the floor, remove from old seat while out of the car and reverse the process for new seat installation. The retractable seat belts do not need to be removed---the others are easy to do.
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Just remember the seat belts: probably easier to un-bolt them from the floor
Optimist! I would argue the opposite. I have removed front seats from three old Oldsmobiles in my time, and I've always found it easier to just push the belts through the opening for them between the seat back and seat bottom. Removing the seatbelt bolts can be VERY difficult sometimes, even with the correct tool. I once needed to rent an impact wrench to loosen the bolts. They're designed to be difficult to remove so that they stay in place in the event of a crash and to prevent their being removed casually by someone who doesn't want them in the car. In some instances, I've ended up rounding the bolt head and having to drill out the bolt, and don't ask how many drill bits I went through doing that!

Unless you're planning to replace the carpet or have some other specific reason to remove the seat belts from the floor, I'd try to leave them in place. Maybe I'd give the bolts a try, and if they do remove easily, then go for it. But if they give indications that they're going to be a pain the neck, let sleeping dogs lie!
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:53 PM

Thanks guys, it was a piece of cake. Just unbolted the four seat bolts and the seat belt bolts as well. Less than an hour to remove the sill plates, carpet, seats, seat belts and put it all back together
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:09 AM

Wow - that seems to be record timing! No rust, holes, or gremlins to be found?
I found it was easy stripping it all out, but restoring everything as it went back together took months. Of course then there were the dreaded might-as-wells...
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:37 PM

How much for the front bench seat does it have the center arm rest if so email me at p1071@aol.com