69 Newbie (hehe)

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2009, 11:40 AM

About that front end metal popping sound: It could be a lot of things, but I have found that it normally is the A-frame bushings that are shot and you are getting a metal to metal when the car goes up and down.

The best way to find out what it really is is to have a shop that can do front end repair take a look at it.

You can rebuild the front end yourself as it is not hard; it just takes forever since there are so many parts. You can save a lot of $$$ doing it yourself, though. You just have to take it to a shop and have it aligned when you finish.
Old February 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Hey thanks, I am going to have someone look at it...right after the new motor is installed.
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:00 AM

Smile Engine ID

Originally Posted by pheezy
Hi Joe and 68Tom, thanks for that clarification...but I can't find either the VIN or the ID number, my engine looks like this:

So I know the one in the front is the casting number, and the number on the right is actually on the bottom end of the engine, but I don't know what it is. The top middle number (398583) is actually behind the carb, but I also don't know what it is. In any event, none of them match the VIN, but that is 13 characters. But they still don't match if I take the last 6 digits of the VIN on the dash.

On the front left of the engine, under the alternator, beside the
#1 spark plug, to the left of it is a large number IDing the cylinder head... '68 and '69 are number five...below that cast number on the block surface should be the last five or six numbers of the vin...
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
On the front left of the engine, under the alternator, beside the
#1 spark plug, to the left of it is a large number IDing the cylinder head... '68 and '69 are number five...below that cast number on the block surface should be the last five or six numbers of the vin...
The numbers don't match
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Don't let it get you down. Still seems as though you should get the engine rebuilt and bring the maintenance in line with your needs. '69s are great and it's a convertible FTW. I hope you keep posting progress and pics. Good luck.