68 cutlass with air vacuum diagram

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2009, 10:20 PM

68 cutlass with air vacuum diagram

Hello all! I am hoping that someone can help me find a vacuum routing diagram for the heat and a/c controls under the dash for my 68 Cutlass s. It is a factory air car but the previous owner tore the dash out so I don't know how to hook it up correctly. I found some Olds literature at swap meets but none of the ones I found had vacuum diagrams. Any help would be appreciated! Erik
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Welcome to the site Erik, You need to purchase at shop manual for your car to get the diagrams. This is a must have for working on your car. You can find them on e-bay and other sites on the internet. Maybe someone can help you by e-mailing you a scan but in any case buy the manual.
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM

welcome

hey Erik welcome to the site I am new member my self and that was the biggest problem i had was finding a manual I did however find a CD-rom for the computer that has it all i will try and get a number for the shop that makes them the deal is each one is for the specific year of your car. give me a few days and ill try to find you the name address and phone number they are located in RIVERSIDE California wich is where i live ok take care and good luck on the car
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Erik, it's in either the Olds 1968 442 Assembly Manual or Chassis Service Manual. I can't remember which, but just used it to hook mine up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...lenotsupported

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...lenotsupported
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Thanks guys for your quick and helpful response. I will try the links Tom gave me and see if I can figure out which manual I need to purchase. If they are reasonable I should just get both. I would still be interested in the cd-roms if soldier4christ67olds has any luck finding a link. Thanks again I knew someone would be able to help me with this.

Erik
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM

manuals

I just checked the links Tom gave me for the chasis and assembly manuals. Neither one states whether or not the vacuum routing for the heater controls on an a/c car are included. I looked at some manuals a couple of years ago and passed on buying them as this info wasn't in them. I just want to be sure that I get the right one. If anyone has these manuals could you please check and let me know which one has the info I need? Thanks again for the links Tom!
Erik
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:06 AM

Cool Cool eh

Vacuum hose routing in 1968 chassis manual page 1C-12, fig.1C-22 black and white, so it's dig out the crayons for you!!
Old June 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the information. It figures that it is in the more expensive of the 2. I'm sure that this manual will pay for itself in time as I've got lots to do. I'll see if I can use a neighbors camera so I can post a few pictures.
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM

Well I bought the chassis manual at a swap meet this weekend. It is an original in good shape and cost $35. I think this manual doesn't cover the ac in my car though. According to the manual my car is a Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe body style 87. The manual shows a few different ac systems. One covers 54 through 86 series. Another one covers 31 through 48 series. The last one in the book covers 54 through 86 series. I believe mine is 87 series as the body style is 87? The heater ac controller in the dash of mine looks slightly different than the ones in the book. Why would the Holiday Coupe have a different ac than the Holiday Sedan? I thought the only difference was the sedan was a post car and the coupe was a hardtop. This wouldn't have been an issue except the previous owner took all of the dash out of it and I had to try and figure out how to put it back together. I would appreciate some help on this. I know there are a lot of guys here that can straighten this out.

Thanks,

Erik
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:20 AM

Thumbs up Hosed

Your car is a 42 series...[342878---vin] ( Cutlass Supreme) see my post above about the page and picture #...
Old August 25th, 2009, 05:55 AM

Smile

Thanks, yellow statue! So body style isn't the same as series number. I was wondering about that. Now its time to get my hands dirty.

Erik
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Oldsdruid

Take a little time to read and understand the General Information section of the manual. It will tell you an awful lot about your car.

All 31-48 series (F85/Cutlass) cars use the same HVAC control head. Only difference will be if car is a heater-only car vs a factory A/C car.
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Erik, it's not too difficult. You just have to keep reminding yourself what hose is what color. I used the chassis manual to connect mine and I didn't have any problems. Good luck.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Oldsdruid

That's provided he still has the color-coded hose harness. From what he's said, it's all gone.
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Woof. This is true. Well, then you're (obviously) just going to have to follow the starting to end point on each hose. At least you can make a couple of the hoses a little longer than stock. A couple of them were a little difficult to stretch to fit with the dash and heater/ac control slightly out.

And congrats on the 1000th post, rocketraider.
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM

I got a chance to hook up the vacuum hoses tonight. They now work like they should! All of the color coded hoses were there and were hooked up on the one end but none of them were connected to the controller in the dash when I bought it. I spent an entire afternoon once trying to get it right without a diagram but there were just too many combinations. I reread some of the decoding at the beginning of the book. I now understand most of the codes. It turns out that my car is a 68 Cutlass Holiday Coupe not a 68 Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe as I thought. It does have the S badges all over it but doesn't say Cutlass Supreme anywhere. Again thanks to all of you for the help. I have some more reading to do...

Erik