67 cutlass passing gear

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2012, 07:49 PM

67 cutlass passing gear

Ive got a 67 cutlass supreme and my passing gear only kicks in everynow and then when i lay it down. Im sure the kickdown i think its called is electric. I would like to fix this so that it engages everytime i lay it down. I took it to the autoshop in school and my teacher said that my solenoid thats connected to the throttle linkage is bad is there a way i can maybe salvage it? And if i was to get a new one where do they sell them because i cant find any?. and also is there an aftermarket one that would fit and work the same in case i cant find one specifically for my car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:32 AM

I don't think you can buy a new one, unless you snag an NOS one off ebay. You can get a used one on Ebay or ask here in the Parts Wanted. It's probably out of adjustment, the 67 Olds shop manual will tell you how to adjust it. Because it works sometimes, I'm guessing it's just an adjustment. The linkage has to move so far to work right.
Old February 29th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Administrator

You should have an ST300 switch pitch trans in your car with variable vane torque converter. It somewhat makes a two speed overdrive transmission.

Before you go tearing apart your trans, check the switch pitch assy on the throttle linkage. that supplies the 12v to your trans. There are 3 terminals on it. One terminal supplies 12v to the switch, the other two are switched, 1 wire to passing gear the other to the switch pitch. They both run to a plug on the side of your trans.

You can also use a manual switch to operate and test the solenoid. If it works part time I'm going to assume the solenoid is good. Also check that your switch pitch is working correctly as that will also adversely effect the way your trans shifts.

There are many threads with good info on the ST300 transmission which should be the 1 in your car on here.