65 Cutlass starter

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2013, 05:14 PM

65 Cutlass starter

You know your starter's dead when you take it off in pieces. Problem is I can't find a starter that is tapped on the side for a supporting bracket. Does anyone know where to get a replacement, tapped to screw in the supporting bracket?
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:16 PM

I just scrapped about 30 of them. I may have something around. Can you give me the number off your old starter so I can match the internal components.
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:19 PM

I probably have a core starter with this hole tapped into it. But if you have the remains of one you might be able to measure the location and drill/tap one yourself.

I see your in Chicago, there's several members in the mid-west with spare parts collection. If you don't want to tap one yourself then I'd encourage you to create a parts wanted thread, or PM Scott (oldspackrat) Eric (jensenracing) or 65B01Delta (Sorry 65, I don't remember you real name).

John
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:14 PM

Stellar: here is the number 1107330 5 B-9
2blu442: the new starter is angulated right where the brace hits. I'll look to see if the brace can be moved.

Thanks for the help.
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:02 AM

1107330 is a high torque starter and has 2 shunt fields. This design is the most powerful starter Delco made for the 10mt starter. There are other variations of the hi-torque starter using 1 shunt field or no shunt fields and all are considered hi-torque with your double shunt being the style with the most power (torque). If you buy a starter from a parts store I highly doubt it will be of the same design and power. The shunt windings are made with thin wire and often are damaged due to overcranking or cranking with a low battery. Rebuilders usually rebuild these without the shunt winding as it is cheaper and easier to do. Although they will still be considered a high torque starter they will not be of the same power as the original. I would suggest you have a local rebuilder rebuild it to original specs. I would be glad to communicate with the rebuilder on your behalf if he should want part numbers or technical advise. If you can't find a rebuilder, I may be able to recomend one near you as I have been rebuilding over 38 years and am in communication with many quality rebuilders all over the country. I would be happy to restore it for you, but then you would incur shipping costs both ways. I suspect by angulated you mean the narrow part of the case is tappered to the larger part of the case. This would mean the new starter has a narrow section of about 3 inches where the original only had about 1 inch of narrow section. I throw the cases with the long narrow section away. Often these cases use aluminium fields which are pure garbage. Some of them do not even use a high torque armature although the starter looks like a high torque starter it really isn't. I am sure I have a case you need with the threaded hole, but finding one with the correct numbers and date may be difficult. Since you already have one maybe it should be rebuilt to factory specs. If you want it restored, I can do it for you.
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:41 AM

Stellar: PM sent