350 won't start

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2014, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Miles71
My CS will flood with 3 shots of Accelerator Pump gas before cranking.
Is this how your car normally starts?
Worked for me every time until now. I blow white smoke out the tailpipe on start up just like any other vehicle. Sometimes it's a lot and it lasts a few minutes, but the Lucas fuel treatment might cause that.
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:23 AM

Any luck?
Old March 8th, 2014, 01:49 PM

This advice is all over the map from jumping timing to massive loss of compression. Remember the car was running and now simply has a no-start condition. The starter/wiring was clearly affecting the batt or high-current draw. So now it should crank properly right? Well, I've read through this thing and still can't identify the three begging questions.

1) Does it now crank now without loping and stuttering? With a fully charged batt. does it crank for a longer, steady period without the batt seeming like it's dying?

2) Do you have fuel present and the choke closing? (post 106 part three)

3) Does it have spark? (Post 106 part two) Pull a plug wire and connect it to an old plug or yank a sparkplug out for testing. Lay the plug on a bare metal engine location to get the plug body grounded. Look for a valve cover bolt or something to lay it on. Have someone crank over the car while observing if the plug snaps sparks. Don't touch the plug with your hand while cranking! Zaaap. Try a couple ground locations to make sure you found unpainted metal.

These items must be satisfied to move on - period. All other crystal ball speculation is just confusing our friend so let's get the must-know facts before assuming his HEI module died or all the piston rings fell off.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; March 8th, 2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Any updates? The starter/wiring did not look good. Have you been able to get it running?
Alex in Idaho USA
Old March 9th, 2014, 03:07 PM

"always carry a couple screw drivers and a small hammer in the trunk. I case you need open the butterfly, "
===============
Just so we are ALL aware... let's go over that choke unloader feature again. In order to ensure that the driver can easily cure a flooded engine, there is a feature built into the carb's linkages called the choke unloader. If the choke is closed, then pressing the gas pedal all the way down, one time, and holding it all the way down, forces the choke plate open a little, just like a screwdriver would do if done manually. This allows less choking and more AIR into the carb to offset the excess fuel problem. Every automobile carb I have ever seen has this feature. No need to remove the air cleaner.

Easy- from the sounds of it, if you can find a class on the basics of engine operation, perhaps at the local community college, it would be time and money well spent. I used to be a TA for such a class at a university in CA. We went over the basic Otto cycle, and the Diesel cycle. Covered valves and timing and ignition, and the fuel injected [computerized] systems a little. We went over the basic carb systems in a full teardown and reassembly of a monojet carburetor. The class also had a hands on tech session once or twice a week, culminating in each and every student doing a full teardown and reassembly of a tractor engine. We did not buy new parts or require the engine to run, but the basic process like assembly and how to torque things properly were covered.
Old March 11th, 2014, 05:19 PM

Did you solve the problem or not get to it yet? Nice to see the answer after all of this...
Old March 12th, 2014, 12:14 AM

remove the plugs and let the cyclinders dry out battery sounds low not cranking fast enough sprey some wd 40 into the carb this stuff was 1st usesd to deice air plane wings and to dry up water pull the cap and spray some in there too also wondnt hurt to put a couple of bottles of gas dryer in the tank the more you pump the more gas your shotting in there and check ur gas filter could have frozen water in there hope this helps and put a good charge on the battery
when ever I had a floded carb I held the pedeal to the floor and don't pump the carb

Last edited by johnnyjaws; March 12th, 2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old March 12th, 2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles
This advice is all over the map from jumping timing to massive loss of compression. Remember the car was running and now simply has a no-start condition. The starter/wiring was clearly affecting the batt or high-current draw. So now it should crank properly right? Well, I've read through this thing and still can't identify the three begging questions.

1) Does it now crank now without loping and stuttering? With a fully charged batt. does it crank for a longer, steady period without the batt seeming like it's dying?

2) Do you have fuel present and the choke closing? (post 106 part three)

3) Does it have spark? (Post 106 part two) Pull a plug wire and connect it to an old plug or yank a sparkplug out for testing. Lay the plug on a bare metal engine location to get the plug body grounded. Look for a valve cover bolt or something to lay it on. Have someone crank over the car while observing if the plug snaps sparks. Don't touch the plug with your hand while cranking! Zaaap. Try a couple ground locations to make sure you found unpainted metal.

These items must be satisfied to move on - period. All other crystal ball speculation is just confusing our friend so let's get the must-know facts before assuming his HEI module died or all the piston rings fell off.
Good advice. Eazy, still waiting to hear how it turned out. We had a warm couple of days in central Illinois so I assume you did as well.
knuckles, I love the 67. And that color....wow!
Old March 12th, 2014, 06:53 PM

After working on it in the freezing cold all week I had to send it to the shop while I went home for spring break. They haven't called me yet, but usually you need a weeks notice for an appointment there. Been working non stop and still on call now so I can keep funding the project.

The last I tried, after the new power wire and starter, the car turned over much better, but the carb was still misting back slightly and it still was loping a little bit.

Thanks for the advise on the engine course, Octania. The community college I started at has an automotive program so I'll have to check it out.

Two of my peers have suggested to me that if I try adjusting my distributor cap it may help fix my ignition timing. Any truth to this?

As soon as I hear from the mechanic I'll be sure to relay the news.
Old March 12th, 2014, 07:00 PM

I have verified spark.
I have verified fuel.
My choke operates normally.

It just tries to start then lopes and dies off.
Old March 12th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Since it's at the shop, let's wait and see what they say, and then we can help to explain, or figure out what to do next.

- Eric
Old March 12th, 2014, 08:58 PM

Yeah eazy, let us know what they say.
Old March 12th, 2014, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by eazy
.... my peers have suggested to me that if I try adjusting my distributor cap it may help fix my ignition timing. Any truth to this?
Yes, but not exactly the cap. The entire dist. housing rotates after loosening a clamp. There's more to this movie we're waiting to hear.

Macadoo >> Thanks, it's actually chunky heavy metal flake like "Gasser-Gold". Some crazy 70's dune buggy, boat color proven to scare people.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; March 12th, 2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles
Yes, but not exactly the cap. The entire dist. housing rotates after loosening a clamp. There's more to this movie we're waiting to hear.

Macadoo >> Thanks, it's actually chunky heavy metal flake like "Gasser-Gold". Some crazy 70's dune buggy, boat color proven to scare people.
Lol, does it work?
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:52 PM
major noob

OK so let's look at what we know 3 days ago before post was made it was running and driving fine. Did you do anything to it when you shut it off? What was the weather like? Did anything other that the starter sound funky? Take out all your plugs and proceed to crank to blow all the gas out heat up your plugs and put them in. I can't view the video on ye old phone so I can't really help much more
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:54 PM
major noob

Dang you guys post fast lol and you should smell your oil for gas if so you might have to replace/rebuild carb
Old April 1st, 2014, 05:14 PM

And the verdict is.....?
Old April 1st, 2014, 05:40 PM
major noob

I just realized it had 4 pages lol so my response had been given way early in the thread lol good luck eazy ik the struggle of car issues but these guys will. Lead you in the right direction
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:07 AM

Waiting on a call. Getting new timing gears and chain, new tensionor? pulley, and remanufactured Edelbrock 650 cfm carb with electric choke. It's not gonna be cheap, but it needed to be done.... Well, I'm still questioning if the carb needed to be replaced, but I told him I'm keeping the Q-Jet so it'll be fine.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:35 AM

Great to hear you are back on the link.
The enquiring minds were chomping on our steering wheels waiting to hear the results.
Did the chain actually slip a tooth?
As for the Carb, I was able to find a local shop that really knew how to build a carb and they rebuilt mine for a whopping $110.00 and had it done in 3 days. It’s been 2 years and the carb still works great.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:38 AM
NôôB

Q-jets are not that hard to rebuild from what i have seen. and kits are fairly cheap. Hardest part is tuning them.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:27 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Getting new timing gears and chain, new tensionor? pulley, and remanufactured Edelbrock 650 cfm carb with electric choke.
If you're being charged for a tensioner, you're being screwed. There ain't none.

- Eric
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
Hookers under Hood

Oh ya.... the "Armstrong" belt tensioner I guess they charge for that these days lol.
Sounds like you made good progress Put 'R' ther
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
If you're being charged for a tensioner, you're being screwed. There ain't none.

- Eric
I guess it would be called the crankshaft pulley, at least that's what I would call it. I am not being charged for it though; he admitted to cracking it while pulling it off.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:30 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If you mean the crankshaft sprocket, then that has to changed when doing the chain anyway.

If you mean the pulley, I can't imagine how you could break that.

- Eric
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:11 PM

- Eric
Whew! I thought I'd forgotten something when I put mine back together

Good call on keeping your Q-jet eazy.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:24 PM

Naa, go with the Edelbrock. They're improved design based on a Carter AFB. Very easy to tune. I don't think I'm alone stating Rochester's are miserable. Maybe others have luck with 'em but not me?

I have an Edel 650 on an RPM manifold - 72 Olds 350 with a lumpy cam. That carb hits nicely at wide open throttle never leaning out. You may want to go down to a 600 CFM if your motor is stock?

Last edited by White_Knuckles; April 3rd, 2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:33 PM
major noob

Run an edelbrock 1406 it'll suit your need nicely that's what I'm gonna run plus these are super easy to rebuild
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:32 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I ran the 1405 and I also ran one of those 650 avs series edelbrock carbs. The 650 did not work very well for me and I had a pretty stout 350. The 650 holley double pumper has worked the best but with the new combo im going to a 750 vac. secondaries. I would go with the 1405 if you have headers. I ran the 1405 I a low 13 sec. 10 to 1 350 . Seemed to feed the engine very well through the rpm and I shifted my 350 @ 6k rpm. The 1405 has a manual choke and is tuned a tad richer than the 1406 and the 1406 has an electric choke. Personally I would stick with the q jet if all it needs is a rebuild.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:17 PM

Oh-oh. Heard something about a timing chain & gears. Almost time to wake up... (See post #88 -- nothin' like a smart a$$.)
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by 69 Ragtop
Oh-oh. Heard something about a timing chain & gears. Almost time to wake up... (See post #88 -- nothin' like a smart a$$.)
How was your nap?

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I would go with the 1405 if you have headers.
Stock manifolds. Stock engine as far as I know.

The Edelbrock is on at this point. I'll just have to match it with an RPM Manifold and get that top end now.

Does anybody know if Dean still rebuilds q jets?

For the record I am still waiting on a call from the shop to tell me its done. I'm starting to get a little impatient, things are pretty slow up here.
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm starting to get a little impatient, things are pretty slow up here.
How d'ya think we feel?

- Eric
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:13 PM

How was your nap? <snip>
You'll find out how important they are when you're 65! Good luck with the fire-up when you're ready!
Old April 4th, 2014, 09:19 PM

How d'ya think we feel?

- Eric
Okay, that's funny!

Smash that Rochester. Fiddly buggers! Like tuning a $20 Uke.
Old April 5th, 2014, 10:45 AM

It's running, just have to work out a few kinks now!
Old April 5th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

SO WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT?!?

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:06 AM

SO WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT?!?

- Eric
The timing gears were rounded and the chain was slackened. The floats on the Q-Jet are also stuck. He said he set the timing at around 5.5. It kinda sounds like it has a cam in it now. It runs smoother, but is slower without a doubt.

I have yet to compare my before and after mpg's. I have a suspicion they may have gone up.

I want to get new upgraded plug wires today.

Two things still wrong:

1) It is either missing very bad on random occasions, or it is completely stalling out. From complete stop on a hill I got on the gas and it almost cut out.

2) I no longer have full play of my gas pedal. It barely goes past half way and I feel like I'm going to break it. I'll have to mess with this and see how I can get full play.
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Hookers under Hood

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak in the video. You have the edelbrock 600 on their? You will need an adjustable linkage for your throttle if so .

Last edited by 76olds; April 5th, 2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:00 AM

like this?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1414
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Hookers under Hood

That's the one. Not sure if you have the clearance but I would put a 1" spacer under the carb so the fuel in the bowls don't boil dry after a road trip from the heat of that iron intake . You may need the adjustable throttle cable piece as well instead of installing a new cable. The adjuster has a set screw for adjusting your existing cable. Trim the end of your existing cable slide the adjuster on and tighten, your good to go with full throttle again. Your doing an awesome job easy !! I would get the SS bracket rather than chrome but your choice .

Last edited by 76olds; April 6th, 2014 at 06:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 350 won't start