2 to 4bbl swap

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2014, 08:17 PM

2 to 4bbl swap

thinking about swapping out my 2bbl carb on my 69 cutlass (350) for a 4bbl
Im wondering what I will have to do besides a new intake and carb. Is this a straight forward swap will I have change the throttle linkage etc. Also what kind of horsepower gain will I get from this swap? has any one installed edelbrocks fuel injection it seems to be a good idea however its rather spendy any info is appreciated
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Just the facts...

you won't gain all that much from this swap(been there-done that). you don't have the cam, valves, compression ratio, or ignition timing that a factory-made 4bbl. motor has. as i recall, i used a manifold, an air cleaner, and throttle cable from a 4-bbl. car. you'll need to plumb a fuel line from the pump to the carb. also. i'm sure that if i missed anything, someone will chime in.

bill
Old February 20th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Administrator

It may not net you a gain in power, but it does look and sound better.
Old February 20th, 2014, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the info. Think I will stick with my 2bbl for now until I can upgrade my engine.Beside i still have a few fuel issues to take care of.
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:15 PM

I read up on this they used the same head on the 2bl as the 4bl at least on the 1970 motor
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by aaron1969
Thanks for the info. Think I will stick with my 2bbl for now until I can upgrade my engine.Beside i still have a few fuel issues to take care of.
I upgraded my 69 to the performer and 4 barrel quadrajet at the same time as HEI, Headers, and the performer camshaft. Also had the #5 heads reworked and surfaced / same time. I have a much better engine now, it is dramatically better than before. I'd encourage you to do it when the timing is right for you. - Steven
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:46 PM

I disagree there's no pay-off with just a carb/manifold install. First what's the story on the 2bbl? Yeah, probably tired. My choice would be an Edelbrock RPM manifold including an Edelbrock 600 CFM Performer 4bbl. These suckers are based on the Carter Thermoquad design and work amazingly out of the box. If you're not ready for power valves, metering rods, jets and float adjusting, this is the one. You will feel the results instantly stuffing your foot down. Oh, and she'll be really happy with this new carb in the mid-range too. Trust me.

Phase your project where you start with the quad, add an HEI system, then a cam, etc. You're not going to drown that car with a fuel fire-hose just stuffing a quad on. It will like it.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; February 20th, 2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old February 20th, 2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles
I disagree there's no pay-off with just a carb/manifold install. First what's the story on the 2bbl? Yeah, probably tired. My choice would be an Edelbrock RPM manifold including an Edelbrock 600 CFM Performer 4bbl. These suckers are based on the Carter Thermoquad design and work amazingly out of the box. If you're not ready for power valves, metering rods, jets and float adjusting, this is the one. You will feel the results instantly stuffing your foot down. Oh, and she'll be really happy with this new carb in the mid-range too. Trust me.

Phase your project where you start with the quad, add an HEI system, then a cam, etc. You're not going to drown that car with a fuel fire-hose just stuffing a quad on. It will like it.
I agree with this post. I was told by the man that reworked my heads that you can just install an Edelbrock carb and they work. I already had a 3711 manifold or I would have done exactly that. I'm not certain but I think the edelbrock carb will work on a 2711 or RPM.
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:34 AM
Administrator

If your going to go with an Edelbrock carb, I recommend looking at the AVS because of the adjustable vacuum secondaries.
Old February 21st, 2014, 03:22 PM

I've told several people this, put a Holley 500 2bbl on you stock intake, Mr Gasket still sells a very simple adapter plate and it's a very simple change over. You will be amazed at the difference it makes in the performance, I have done this to a couple of different cars over the years including a 68 Cutlass. I later changed the Cutlass to and Edel and a 600 Holley and the performance fell off so I put the stock intake with the Holley back on.
This is easy to do and inexpensive.
Old February 21st, 2014, 06:12 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That swap will add some power. Add a good set of turbos and you will really feel the difference.

Last edited by redoldsman; February 25th, 2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:20 PM

if your car is a 70 or older you will notice a big diffrince with the 4bl and get rid of the points. if you have # 6 heads on it your good to go also a set of headers will help a lot go to 442.com they will tell you everything u need to know some people on this site are like italin mothers that don't want to give out there meatball recipes cause there special just get a 4 bl intake 70s and a ouad 70s or older and send it out to get rebuilt and tell the guy what ur looking for and the will hook u up its good to have some gears in the rear and go from there maybe a cam just don't go to big these motors are tourque motors low and mid range is what ur looking for unless you plan on raceing it at the track
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:06 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

600 cfm is too small of a small of a carb. These came stock with 750's.

Don't put a double pumper on it, but don't cork it either. Oldsmobiles love fuel.

Y
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:39 AM

Just what 69ishHoliday said. This is a "hand to glove" thing. Meaning one upgrade needs the other etc. MAW, while the intake is off "might as well" change (upgrade camshaft & lifters springs) timing chain, headers/dual exhaust. Valve job optional. All upgrades work better with the next. I'm a believer in better to be under cammed/carbed than over, so don't go to big. I've did this to a similar 350 twice. It "woke" both up. One used Comps 262H 0.456/0.456. Saturday night special converter 3:73 gears. Car ran 13.80's drive in street car. The other I threw a factory stock 455 cam in it, nice improvement. Ya, I'm cheap, price zero, odds & ends that I had. Do it once and enjoy it. Ken