1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - ideas?

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2012, 03:35 PM

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - ideas?

So I am soon to be getting a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. It needs a little bit of work under the hood, but as of yet I don't know enough about the engine to be able to give those details. All I do know is that there is something wrong with the electrical system that is causing the car not to start. On a newer model car, I would say that the alternator is shot and needs replaced, but having not seen the car in close to 10 years (it is coming to me through family), and never having been that involved with it, I don't really know what I am getting into yet. I am not so naive as to think that the engine design I am used to, working on cars newer than 1996, has always existed. I know it hasn't, so I have to get under the hood of the car to figure it out. On this note, if anyone would be able to give me just some general guidance as to what to expect?

Secondly, I plan to paint the car, and I am interested in acquiring aftermarket parts for the interior of the car. I have done some looking, and thus far I have not been able to come up with much. If anyone could give me a push in the right direction as far as where i would need to go to get quality parts for the interior of a 4-door 87 Olds Cutlass (including a headliner), I would greatly appreciate it.

At this point it is going to be about another month before I get a chance to take a look at the car. My wife and I moved away from where we were born a few years back, and now that her and I have split, I am going home as soon as I get my transfer processed with my job. Until then, I don't really have a way to get any more information (unfortunately), since my family is not a long line of gearheads (haha).

Also, there is a very slight possibility that I could be wrong about the model (not the make). I am pretty sure that I am correct about model, but having been 10 years since I've seen the car, I could be wrong.

Anyway, at this point I am asking for information so I can get an idea of where I need to go for parts and what is going to be involved in fixing the electrical problems the car has. Any help that you can give would be much appreciated so I have a better idea of what I am going to be dealing with.
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM

For cars of this vintage, the only place you'll get body and trim parts is from a junkyard car just like it. No one is reproducing interior and body parts for these, and it's unlikely anyone ever will as these cars, especially the four-doors, are just not very popular with collectors. Heck, they're really not even that old yet as an '87 model is only 25 years old this year. That's young by collector car standards.

Start getting online and searching the online used parts sources. Call local junkyards. The parts you ultimately can collect and put in your car will likely come from a dozen different places.

I enjoyed this comment of yours:

Originally Posted by Matthew S. Sartell-King
On a newer model car, I would say that the alternator is shot and needs replaced
On a "newer" model car? Heck, what do you think earlier cars used to generate electricity to recharge the battery and run the electrics? Squirrel cages? My '73 has an alternator. They were in use for many years prior to 1987!

As far as ultimately fixing things like electrical problems, your very first purchase, once you determine that it actually is an '87 or whatever year it turns out to be, is a factory service manual.

Here's one that's not much money at all:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-OLDSMOB...05eb8e&vxp=mtr

Last edited by jaunty75; May 16th, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:17 PM

^^ is right.

I wish you luck on your quest. Try eBay, local CL, and junkyards for best results
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:22 PM

I guess I should be a little more specific about the things I am wanting to do.

First off, I am gonna have the car painted. I am thinking some kinda blue color but haven't decided yet.

I also want to replace the front seats, simply because they are old and I want new ones in it. I'd like to be able to kind of design my own console between the two front seats, potentially, or find a console design that I like that I could put into the front seat between two new front seats.

I want to re-carpet the floor and try to find either a black headliner or one of a color that will match the car. Finding someone to reupholster the rear seats won't be much of a problem, but I'd want the reupholstered seats also to match the rest of the car, both in terms of fabric and color.

I want to re-do the driver's console, too, if possible. Those gauges almost remind me of something out of a bad horror film. It would help to know if this was possible, and if it is, where I could check out some updated gauges for the console. I'm not expecting the console to sing and dance like the ones do in new cars today, but if I could give it just a visual upgrade, I'd be happy.

After that, the only other thing I plan to do is new tires/rims on it, something updated from what is currently on it. Yes, I know this probably involves a lot of money. Yes I plan on having the car for a while. But I know it's possible to drive an 87 Oldsmobile and still have people say I have a nice car, it just takes time, work and money, all of which I will have. Thanks again for any help.